Scratch building cowls, How too?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

Hey everyone , Im learning to build some cowls for some scale boats and i was wanting to know if anyone has scratch build there own cowls and how would you do it.

I have newton plans and one idea i had was taking from the paint sheet that shows the cowl top view and side view and i was going to take the views cut them out of wood and connect them like this |

|

------------

|

|

--- top view

I was going to do that then use foam and carve the shape then make it into a plug. Also I have a CAD to do 3D drawing . i was going to draw it make it 3D then section it like bulkheads glue to profile then carve to shape. I know some people carve a whole piece of wood but im not to good with that . What has some scale gurus out there done . these are my ideas so far. Thanks for any info :D

Hey everyone , Im learning to build some cowls for some scale boats and i was wanting to know if anyone has scratch build there own cowls and how would you do it. I have newton plans and one idea i had was taking from the paint sheet that shows the cowl top view and side view and i was going to take the views cut them out of wood and connect them like this |

|

------------

|

|

--- top view

I was going to do that then use foam and carve the shape then make it into a plug. Also I have a CAD to do 3D drawing . i was going to draw it make it 3D then section it like bulkheads glue to profile then carve to shape. I know some people carve a whole piece of wood but im not to good with that . What has some scale gurus out there done . these are my ideas so far. Thanks for any info :D
If you have 3D Cad and know how to use it ,THAT would be a great start. I make all my plugs or molds from Cad design and then CNC them (MANY MANY HOURS WORK and MACHINE time MY BOSS LOVES ME).BUT THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!! Or you could go old school and sand a shape foam or wood. If the cowling is not one of the hard ones to make. But use the 3D cad to make.some templets to go by. That will give you your scale plans in any section veiw you want. Doug Shepherd DPS Racing Hulls Madison, In

Last edited:
I'm actually doing one old school with foam right now. It's coming out really nice. I almost have the feeling like I'm sculpting it since it had a lot of curves and sweeping lines. Once I seal it then I'll mold it and finish sand the mold and then I'll be ready to vaccum bag my parts.

Jason, Making the bulkheads and putting foam blocks between and shaping is the way to go. I have done it in the past and works well for getting the shape symmetrical. Some layers of fiberglass and epoxy over the foam to stiffen up. Fill sand and primer and your ready for moulding. I have alot of pictures of doing the mould and parting board and can foward to you for guidedance if needed. What cowling are you looking to make.

Joe

Well Im going to do many cowls ,I have 89 Circus , Pico, Oberto, , Im working on a Tide one right now for my brother, Im going to build the 85 KISW Miss Rock hydro . Im trying to think on how to make the bulkheads using newton plans 2D profiles. Or if there is a better way ,may just have to use some craft skills carving :lol: . That would be great to see some of the pic on how you build yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, Making the bulkheads and putting foam blocks between and shaping is the way to go. I have done it in the past and works well for getting the shape symmetrical. Some layers of fiberglass and epoxy over the foam to stiffen up. Fill sand and primer and your ready for moulding. I have alot of pictures of doing the mould and parting board and can foward to you for guidedance if needed. What cowling are you looking to make.Joe
Joe, if you don't mind I'd like copies of those pics. [email protected] Thanks Ray

I have built many cowls over the years and seen different ways to do it.

I learned several years ago by seeing my Brother-in-Law do a complete .21 hydro from foam that it is an easy and inexpensive way to do it.

I use the green foam you can get from a florist craft store. It comes in blocks and you might have to hot glue or epoxi a couple together. You can then shape it quite easy. You can cut a rough shape with a hack saw blade and then shape it by hand. You just use your hands like a sanding block and the stuff works real well. When you get the final shape, then you use glass to cover it. Put on two to three coats of resin and sand smooth. Then hollow out the inside and you are done. If you want you can leave some parts on the inside foam and that insures it will float if it comes off the boat. There are a couple of types of this green foam so make sure it is the porous type. Just find a piece at the store and rub a corner with your fingers to see if you can rub it and shape it. There is a more rubbery type which is not the stuff to use.

I hope this helps!

Hey everyone , Im learning to build some cowls for some scale boats and i was wanting to know if anyone has scratch build there own cowls and how would you do it. I have newton plans and one idea i had was taking from the paint sheet that shows the cowl top view and side view and i was going to take the views cut them out of wood and connect them like this |

|

------------

|

|

--- top view

hey wont the foam melt if you use resin and glass ? or does the special foam talked about prevent this from happening ?

I'm not sure about the craft foam mentioned previously. I used a 60lb high density foam called Spyder Foam. I drew out the basic shape on the block with pattern bulkeads on each end and traced those lines with a hot wire cutter then sanded to shape then I glassed all of the surfaces without any problem. At present I'm doing finish sanding and prepping for a coat of primer. It has been a lot of work but the end result is coming out much better than expected. I'll post a pic later this week when I get it primered.

Last edited by a moderator:
No the foam I am talking about works fine with fibreglass. I like the idea the other guy had about making a couple of bukheads in the middle to help you shape it but you would be amazed how nice some of my cowlings have turned out just freehand. I do stop look and think about it quite a bit and have some pictures to go by. First I make the blocks fit the contour of the deck and then go from there. Good luck!!

I have built many cowls over the years and seen different ways to do it.I learned several years ago by seeing my Brother-in-Law do a complete .21 hydro from foam that it is an easy and inexpensive way to do it.

I use the green foam you can get from a florist craft store. It comes in blocks and you might have to hot glue or epoxi a couple together. You can then shape it quite easy. You can cut a rough shape with a hack saw blade and then shape it by hand. You just use your hands like a sanding block and the stuff works real well. When you get the final shape, then you use glass to cover it. Put on two to three coats of resin and sand smooth. Then hollow out the inside and you are done. If you want you can leave some parts on the inside foam and that insures it will float if it comes off the boat. There are a couple of types of this green foam so make sure it is the porous type. Just find a piece at the store and rub a corner with your fingers to see if you can rub it and shape it. There is a more rubbery type which is not the stuff to use.

I hope this helps!

|

------------

|

|

--- top view

No the foam I am talking about works fine with fibreglass. I like the idea the other guy had about making a couple of bukheads in the middle to help you shape it but you would be amazed how nice some of my cowlings have turned out just freehand. I do stop look and think about it quite a bit and have some pictures to go by. First I make the blocks fit the contour of the deck and then go from there. Good luck!!

I have built many cowls over the years and seen different ways to do it.I learned several years ago by seeing my Brother-in-Law do a complete .21 hydro from foam that it is an easy and inexpensive way to do it.

I hope this helps!

|

------------

|

|

--- top view

guys i make cowls as well and have been curious about this vaccum bagging deal.. i make my plug then cover it with several layers of glass to make a inside mold and then do my parts in a mirror image..old school i know.... but the carbon i have scrapped alot of it cause i cannot see if there is air bubbles in it, so this vaccum bagging has my thoughts.. can you just take the plug or finished size and shaped part and lay wet glass or carbon on it and then pull down the vaccum bag and there is your part ? and does anyone have a pic or pics of the process so a dummy like me can see with my hillbilly eyes..lol? thanks fellas and it might make me more useful in the shop getting cowls done, thanks

tk

Back