Scale hydro windsheild

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTTI

How do you guys create the scale windsheilds/canopys on your 1/8th scale enclosed cockpit hydros? I tried forming a 2 liter bottle with a heat gun with no sucsess. Is there a special plastic I should use? Whats the best method to secure it to the inside of the fiberglass cowling? Epoxy/CA? Thanks in advance!

SIGCP417 CLEAR PLASTIC .040 X 17 X 17

this is what i use, it will heat form to the cowl shape with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Find it at www.sigmfg.com

PHIL T

There are varying techniques with regards to this.....

A good portion of the windsheilds are made by the person who manufactured the boat. Most boat builders supply a windshield with the hulls they build.

I have talked to some that have modified airplane canopies or cut a windshield from flat clear plastic stock from the hobby store. Of late I have gotten into vacuum forming some of my own windshields from an ABS like material as I have a few hulls that are difficult to say the least to get a winshield for. I assume that most of the hull manufacturers are doing something similar.

As far as fixing it in place. Only method I have ever tried is glueing in place with a substance known as "Shoe Goo" you can find it at almost any home improvement or hardware store. It is not as abrasive as CA and sets quicker than Epoxy. Just make sure you leave enough material to give whatever adhesive you use enough of a purchase point to adhere to the inside if the hull material. Be sure to scuff up that area a little too or it won't hold very well. If you accidently scuff up a visible area it will go away once you clearcoat the boat after painting. .

Last edited by a moderator:
If I glued it like that I would put 1/16 or 1/8 inch holes along the outer edge of the shield so the ShoeGoo can squeeze back out the hole and act like a rivet (assuming the Goo sticks to the fiberglass adequately).

SIGCP417 CLEAR PLASTIC .040 X 17 X 17
this is what i use, it will heat form to the cowl shape with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Find it at www.sigmfg.com

PHIL T
I buy all of my canopys from Iron Bay mobel for the 1/8 scale F16 Falcon. They are exact and very well priced They were under $20.00 www.ironbaymodelcompany.com Thanks Doug

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some real odd ball canopies out there but am sure Steve from RC Boat Company can make you something very close to what you need or can be easily adapted to fit your application.

Back