running in saltwater

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Drawe

Hi; I'm taking my 40 mono to play around with in the intercoastal down in fla. What precautions should I take?

Thanks,

J. Drawe

Watch for alligators. :lol: :lol: After your done, flush and rinse everything with fresh water asap. Be sure you flush the water lines and spray after run in the water jacket. Enjoy B) B)

JOHN DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE DOWN HERE THERE IS A RACE THIS WEEKND IN DELRAY TRY TO MAKE IT BE GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN JOE WIEBILHAUS BE THERE TO take turnpike to atlantic ave go west as far as you can make a right into the park and follow to end make a left Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
I run in salt water frequently, make sure the radio box is tight and follow the previous tips, flush and oil the cooling system as well as the motor and also rudder hinges and all metal hardware. No ill effects here with proper maintenance.

Have Fun!!

Mark D.

Do EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED!!!................Plus +++++ Wash the Entire hull with some dish detergent. Dawn ,Joy. You will need to put your hands on EACH AND EVERY PART.

Remember you are REMOVING SALT!! Or it WILL REMOVE YOU!!!

When we ran in the salt water down in SanDiago we used a small wading pool full of fresh water and would submerge the boat after every run. The one thing that got us before we figured it out was the rudder hinge pin would freeze up between heats even with the fresh water bath. We found that liberal use of WD-40 on all hardware after the fresh water bath worked great to solve the problem. Don't forget to use the WD-40 in the water jacket of the motor too.

Each to their own methods. But, Personally Wd- 40 did more harn than good. I found out the hard way that it is NOT a lubircant. " CORRISON X " is the only thing that I have found that will keep the salt at bay in the water jacket and in the motor itself.

I could fill the water jacket and blow the motor over with it and it would be good until I go to the motor a few days later. I would not recommend that you leave the motor unattended before its next run. Point: If you run in salt water your motor is breathing salt AIR. Where ever the water goes so dose the salt. ;)

Chuck , how could you possibly say that WD -40 is not a lubricant ???It may not cover all lubrication tasks but it is undeniably a LIGHT lubricant and does well to disperse water from a surface and stop oxidation . There are obvously millions of lubricants and WD is certainly one of them . CRC 656 is a good one as well and comes in convenient gallon jugs , better thatn WD IMHO .

Hey; I want to thank all you guys for all your tips, a lot of them are good ideas I didn't even think about.

Thanks again,

John Drawe

Back