Rudder position in relation to strut in hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
I have a Backlash and a Slingshot that I am considering trying extended struts and .40 size rudders on. Right now I’m running non-extended Speedmaster struts and .60 size Speedmaster rudders with the shortest brackets ( 1 1/8” maybe) If I go with the extended struts, should the rudder also extend back? I never gave it much thought, so what’s the general rule of thumb here?

Rich,

I have a Slingshot and a Dan Ellison Gas Sport Hydro which both run extended flat struts with shortened 40 single pickup rudder on the SS and shortened 60 dual pickup rudder on the Sport at the standard setback. Both boats are extremely fast and corner like they are on rails.

Just my $.02 from personal experience...

Marty

Attachments

• IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8575.jpeg
    IMG_8575.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1
Rich,

I have a Slingshot and a Dan Ellison Gas Sport Hydro which both run extended flat struts with shortened 40 single pickup rudder on the SS and shortened 60 dual pickup rudder on the Sport at the standard setback. Both boats are extremely fast and corner like they are on rails.

Just my $.02 from personal experience...

Marty
Good to know thanks Marty!

The rudder does not have to move back.

The rudder is more of a relationship from it to the turn fin and prop is really just your propulsion.

You don't usually want the rudder next to the prop but won't be a issue you'll have there.

The rudder does not have to move back.

The rudder is more of a relationship from it to the turn fin and prop is really just your propulsion.

You don't usually want the rudder next to the prop but won't be an issue you'll have there.
Thanks Daniel. I’ll be hitting you up for more switch harnesses soon and possibly one of those starters.

Back