Rudder placement sport40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve P

OK.........Now that the IMPBA has voted to allow struts on the back of the boat. What do you do with the rudder leave it were it is or move it farther back. With the strut under the boat the rudder is behind the prop, with the strut on the back it would put mine infront of the prop. I looked through the gallery and on riggers most rudders were infront or even with the prop but most monos and cats were either even or behind the prop. I could not find any sport boat pics with the strut on the back to see how they were doing it.

Due to any end of the season destuction of my sport 40 I am doing a total rebuild and I am trying to decide how I want to set it up.

I would think the rudder would be far away enough from the prop. On riggers the tub limits distance away from each other.

As I was thinking about this I remembered that I need to get a new rudder blade, I am using a speedmaster mini rudder. Is this the best or would some thing else do better. It's an older Phil Thomas hull.

I use a 21 size rudder on my mine. I'll do some measuring tonight to see how far away my rudder is from the strut. I haven't had any problems.

Steve,

I would use a longer rudder blade then the mini. It can work but you dont want that darn thing unhooking when the water gets rough. we know how that Sport water can get.. YEEE HAWW.. I am happy to give up a few MPH to handling!

As long as the trailing edge of the rudder is in front of the prop.. you should be good to go..

(others will fill in there opinions too)

Grim

I would think the rudder would be far away enough from the prop. On riggers the tub limits distance away from each other.
Sam, That is kind of what I was thinking but I thought it would be nice to hear from some one who has ran the strut on th back and what worked for them.

Here is a Sport 40 I built last winter to race this past season. I built it so it would meet the then Trial Rules (since then accepted). I didn't race it last summer due to nagging engine problems and I had other boats to race. The main reason I put the strut is on the back is, it was easier to mount it there. It runs well on the water and drives good but I don't have another one with the strut inside to compare it to.

IMG_20140212_200322.jpg

IMG_20140212_200341.jpg

IMG_20140212_200334.jpg

You dont want the rudder in the prop wash so an longer rudder mount is not a good idea, and i would not use a extended strut on a transom mount, keep the prop nearer to the transom. The setup Mike has is good.

Back