RPM Rods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_R_Clark

Ya know I cruz boat sites all the time but can`t seem to find where all the RPM Rods are coming from. Can somebody please enlighten me. Years ago I remember a Richardson Precision Marine in San-Jose CA. I think!! Is this still the guy, does he have a web site?

Kevin_R_Clark said:
Ya know I cruz boat sites all the time but can`t seem to find where all the RPM Rods are coming from. Can somebody please enlighten me. Years ago I remember a Richardson Precision Marine in San-Jose CA. I think!! Is this still the guy, does he have a web site?
Hello Kevin, RPM Rods are out of business however there may be some new ones still floating around out there.

Ron

:eek: here is another source of great rods. Brad Christy in Ohio is building Aluminum and Titanium rods for most of the current engines and can be contacted at: titan-racing@ sbcglobal.net

He is not a full time Rod builder so his in stock inventory is ?? He can special build about any Rod you might need. He's not cheap ! but his quality is first rate. Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point wasn`t looking for anything in particular. I was just curious as to why I see them mentioned in motors so often but could not find where to get them. I am however shocked to hear that he went out of business. For a while it was standard procedure to replace the stock rod with an RPM was it not? My next question would be do you guys still replace the stock rods with aftermarket ones, or is this just depend on which brand we are dealing with. Or are stock rods OK as long as they are bushed on the small end.

<_< Really comes down to what MFG. you are dealing with. Most of the current offerings from CMB, MAC, Russian K's above .45's are now running steel rods with needle bearing big ends. Stock Nova rossi's, Picco, O.S., CMB all have good rods in there .21 sizes as well. :rolleyes:

So as a matter of fact question, What engine do you have? :huh: Scott

I run all Macs and there is no need to change the stock rods in my opinion. Andy and John put out a great product and they stand behind them with great support. The reason I have become a dealer for the products they offer.

In the old days I ran Piccos in everything and way back the rods were not for Nitro use they were for Alky so it was a given to change to an RPM rod. In the later years of Picco the rods were for Nitro and could be used but some still had it in their heads that they needed to replace it with an RPM. Now your lucky just to find a part for a Picco.

Kevin drop me an email and fill me in on the Byrd of Prey OK?

Ron

Last edited:
Well Geez let`s see. I have 3 21 Picco EXR`s all, different. 1 stock, 1 pretty well worked over with an RPM Rod and enough parts to do another stock one. A couple of 21 OPS Pro`s in various stages of moddification. 3 Rossi 45 inboards that I am currently working with updating them. About to get back 2 21 CMB TT`s back from Geraghty. And at least 10 other engines in the same 10 year old catergory. Yea I know I should quit messing around with old stuff and get with the new. My goal is to learn as much as possible and since I try to stick with the better running old motors I can still run at a pretty good pace. Anyhow I am just not confident enough to shell out the bucks for a new motor. But for right at the moment the Rossi inboards have my attention.

Lay I wish I had something to tell you. But here are a few of my observations. I run them in a Micro-burst Mono. Spokane is at 2,000 ft. The first motor which I have worn out was supposed to have been done by Andy Brown. Ran it with a K&B red carb, OPS pipe. It indeed has some of the most interesting port work I have yet to see and everything inside has been touched. I would call it maxed out. Tried this motor with several different carb and pipe combo`s but could never get it to really scream. It would pull some rather large props although it became very pipey. Maybe should have tried this motor in a hydro- less drag. The pro I ran last year came from a very OPS knowledable boater who has since passed on, Mike Shane. With this motor a K&B black carb believe it or not and the same old ops pipe, the pipe looks like I got it out of the garbage can, the thing runs much better. The only thing apparent inside this motor is the crank has been turboed and the piston is skirted. And of couse I am sure both motors were blueprinted. I am quite happy with this motor, although it will not run with the Macs it runs right next to the greenhead in our club and easily outperforms the K&B`s. So I quess I would say just a little help inthe breathing department and the attention to detail when putting it together and a little experimenting and these cheap motors will run right in there.

Does anyone know Brad Christy's phone number? A friend of mine wants to order some stock but he's not on the internet..

DON you a quite correct when you say dave has retired as i get emails from him from time to time he is still boating too . I got to meet him on one of his trips out here to new zealand sometime in the late 80's

Back