Ride Surfaces...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hi,

On a 30" Tunnel boat, has anyone see adverse effects by having too much flat ride surface, like say 13"?

I understand the norm seems to be between 10 and maybe 12...

Kris

Kris,

I do not know if 10-12 is the norm but for us it worked good on the Villain S1.. 13 is not a bad number eather but after MUCH testing im not sure 13 is nessary on a 30" boat.. How did you get to this number? What are you trying to solve? What are you trying to avoid? What is the goal for the sponsons?

Grimracer

Mike, well I took a 28" hull which had 11" of flat and added 2" to the rear of the spoons...i just wanted to see if there was anything bad, i didnt aim for this number, it is just what it came out as ;-)

The goal was to TRY ;-) and get a more stable boat in rougher water, i dotn know if 2" will be enough, but i suppose i will find out soon enough.

BTW i mentioned the 'norm' because the hulls i know (well that i can actually check) have those numbers, not sure about the others...

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris,

You'll get better success by adding weight to the sponsons. Right at the C/G or a touch forward. You'll be surprised at how much better it runs in rough water.

Snowdog

Snow,

I understand that too, i forgot to mention i needed the extra length for a more powerful motor...

I guess i will find out soon how it will work :)

Kris

Back