Retrieving Large R/C Boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heddin

I have a 48" hydro and a 68" hydro in the works. Looking for the best way to retrieve when they don't make it back to shore.
I have an inflatable pontoon to go after them but not sur about lifting them on the pontoon.
Any input?

Attachments

• 20240411_101737.jpg
    20240411_101737.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I would have to agree with Mike, tow it in. If the rudder, prop or turn fin is sharp or pointed anywhere, it could puncture one (or both) of the pontoons. I bought a fishing kayak to use as a chase boat. I wouldn't try to lift a large hydroplane onto that either, not unless it was damaged to the point of sinking

Last edited:
...Speaking of sinking... Wish you guys with the larger boats, most boats, would put some kind of floatation in the back of the boat. Helps keep the boat from filling up. Makes it a lot easier/quicker to pick up and load into the retrieve boat. Some of those big gas boats are so heavy, I wouldn't want to try and pick up with both feet firmly planted on the ground! Let alone trying to pick one up leaning over the side of the retrieve boat. up against your rib cage!!!

Ken

THAT Mr Gilles is awesome! What a simple but great idea. What size motor and prop are you using? Is the netting just to keep anything out of the prop? Assuming front of craft is 18"-24" wide to corral boat when pushed. Love this idea. Thaks for sharing-Bill

I also would use a hook on the front of the boat, tow it in.
Had one issue years ago, was in the retrieval boat and had a wood crackerbox filled with water, if I picked it up by the deck I definitely would have ripped the deck off, so I put both hands under the boat to lift it from the bottom and forgot about the center fin.
Well, massive cut on my finger and lots of blood, just so happened that my 7 year old daughter was on site and cleaned the cut, stitched it closed and bandaged it.
Looking at my 7 year old work on my finger I said, I better start saving for medical school.
Well, she is in college now pursuing to be a physician assistant.
Crazy world we live in

I'm just getting back into boating but, last I remembered, if we didn't have a full size retrieve boat available, we used a smaller RC boat with an eye hook installed in the rear. The 'zig zag racer' was the boat of choice for this back then. This was tied on a big fishing rod/reel like a giant lure. When the time came, you plunk the small boat in the water, press the release button on the reel and drive out to the dead boat. Once there, you make a lap around it to hook up and then you could reel both boats back to shore.

Does anyone use this approach these days?

Stiff fiberglass rod and Penn bait caster open face reel, 15 lb test monofilament , 2 or 3 ounce lead weight inside of a tennis ball …

you’d be surprised how far I can cast that thing accurately… :D

Stiff fiberglass rod and Penn bait caster open face reel, 15 lb test monofilament , 2 or 3 ounce lead weight inside of a tennis ball …

you’d be surprised how far I can cast that thing accurately… :D
I observed this method at the last NAMBA Nats at the Las Vegas pond. I couldn't believe how far some of these guys could throw, boats were in before a retrieve boat could get to the dead boat. Not the best method for broken boats.

THAT Mr Gilles is awesome! What a simple but great idea. What size motor and prop are you using? Is the netting just to keep anything out of the prop? Assuming front of craft is 18"-24" wide to corral boat when pushed. Love this idea. Thaks for sharing-Bill
netting was an experiment to collect leaves and debris. it caused too much drag and its gone this season. motor pictured is a 3536 I think. It now has a 3548. It is about 24" wide I think.

Last edited:
I built this and haven't been stumped yet. Fetches gas monos, cats, sports, and riggers. Even works with one upside down or retrieving a cowl. Just takes a little time to get used to maneuvering. Casting rod with a floating treble hook works great for the closer retrievals.

Marty

Attachments

• IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I built this and haven't been stumped yet. Fetches gas monos, cats, sports, and riggers. Even works with one upside down or retrieving a cowl. Just takes a little time to get used to maneuvering. Casting rod with a floating treble hook works great for the closer retrievals.

Marty
very nice and clean build. I love the box on top for keeping batteries dry.

I have been trying to get bow tow hooks as a mandatory way of retrieving large boats at events for some time now. I have watched guys struggling to get them into the retrieve boat, some taking two people. One day someone is going to fall overboard ,get hurt or damage the boat dragging in over the side trying to get it into the retrieve boat. The last few years that I retrieved my own boats at the test pond, I installed tow hooks on all my 1/8 scale boats for all the reasons stated above. This may sound sound like an old guy whistling in the wind , until you end up hurt or wet trying to retrieve a large gas boat or twin. Or!!!!! having someone all upset because their boat got damaged coming over the side of the retrieve boat. Go fast turn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying to get bow tow hooks as a mandatory way of retrieving large boats at events for some time now. I have watched guys struggling to get them into the retrieve boat, some taking two people. One day someone is going to fall overboard ,get hurt or damage the boat dragging in over the side trying to get it into the retrieve boat. The last few years that I retrieved my own boats at the test pond, I installed tow hooks on all my 1/8 scale boats for all the reasons stated above. This may sound sound like an old guy whistling in the wind , until you end up hurt or wet trying to retrieve a large gas boat or twin. Or!!!!! having someone all upset because their boat got damaged coming over the side of the retrieve boat. Go fast turn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#1 way to bend a prop blade, dragging the boat over the side of the rescue boat

Back