Repairing a Dumas ABS Sprint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Laming

I bought a Dumas ABS Sprint at a swap shop that the former owner had cut a hole 3"wide x 7" long in the floor of the boat so that he could install a 12 oz tank. I know that the boat doesn't need a 12 Oz tank nor does it need a gaping hole in the floor of it. I have purchased some .060 ABS plastic and hope to fix the floor to give the hull greater stability. I'm wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences repairing this boat that they could relate to me. I'm thinking of using the Plastruck .060 ABS and the Plastruck Plastic Weld or possibly Zap's Polyzap to try to put the floor back in the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've repaired broken sponson tips on ABS 3.5 Sprints. Something you might consider doing is placing some foam between the bottom of the hull and the area being resheeted to provide some strength. Epoxy can be used to hold the foam to the plastic.

JD

[Jerry, thanks for the help. Do you know of a source for 1 1/2" foam? Lastly what type of glue did you use to glue the ABS To ABS?

I get my foam from either Lowe's or Home Depot. Usually at Lowe's since it's closer. The foam I use is insulation foam and comes in 2"X2'X8' sizes. You can build a lot of WOFs from one sheet. Sometimes you can fine scrap pieces of this foam at construction sites.

PlastiZap is a good glue for ABS to ABS.

JD

Latest posts

Back