Glue for ABS and wood.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f3cheli

Hi Guys!

I'm building a Dumas Hotshot sprint where the canopy/cowling is made of ABS plastic. Some reinforcements (made of wood) are to be glued to the cowling, the manual suggests epoxy glue for this. I tried with som scrap pieces where I cleaned and roughened the ABS platic surface and used epoxy and, well, the result wasnt good, it was easy to separate the parts. again.

Any suggestions to what glue I should use? Pacer canopy glue seems to work but isnt waterproof. Poly Zap?

Andreas

I have been using Amazing Goop for years. In fact I used it yesterday to bond plywood to a fiberglass radio box. It is waterproof so works well for boats. You can't paint or sand it and once it cures it's hard to remove. When you apply it use a wet finger to smooth it out. Let it set for a day. The reason it works well with wood to ABS is that it doesn't get hard like epoxy. I've used it to bond a metal FE motor mount to a ABS hull and after six years it is still holding. You can buy Goop at stores like Home Depot. Try Goop, you will be amazed.

My $0.2 from experience. I have always used Duco model cement for gluing ABS to itself or wood as in building tunnel hull cowling. Being a solvent type of glue, Duco will actually weld the ABS to the other substrate, and as a result I have had the wood lower "chin" on my Villain S1 crack in the wood but NEVER at the glue joint. Epoxy acts like it will hold, but in time will separate from the ABS.

Wallster

Hi

This "Goop" thing is a contact cement right? It isnt availble to me locally (live in Sweden) but other brands of contact cement is so I´ll give it a try. It doesnt have to be fuelproof for my application as my Hot Shot Sprint will be powered by electrons. :)

Andreas

Latest posts

Back