Reading a glow plug

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigriggr

Can you school me on reading a glow plug...The element pulled out or pushed in, is telling me what?

Engine and plug: MAC 67, MC-9.

Thanks,

Can you school me on reading a glow plug...The element pulled out or pushed in, is telling me what?

Thanks,
GOOGLE

reading glow plugs boat if this address dosen't work http://www.goldcoast-modelraceboat-club.com/documents/IMGreadingofglowplugs.pdf

I have had the element get mashed in at start up when there was a lot of after run oil left in the engine though / extra compression/.

Also check out tech articals @ .... http://rcboat.com/index.php?apid=A100206r&apflag=1&

Last edited:
You really need a loupe to read plugs correctly. You are looking for more than if they are pulled out, or pushed in. Read the articles referenced above.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,
The ring around the plug is the load on the Boat or engine ( prop load )or possible the boat is too wet. Both are load. Idea color is ligh brown or a light carmel color. the wire color or (element color) is the mixture. the wire does not lie. It tells all. Shiney wire (rich setting) Lightly Dull wire GOOD NEEDLE. Frosty wire LEAN Mixture!! Most nitro engines are tuned with third channel & the boater listens to the crackle of the engine by ear.if the engine is tuned & set up properly Just about the time you get to the Clean smooth sound The rpm pickes up & you ride on the Perfect Needle. If the engine is not properly set up The tuning will become more difficult. Lower nitro 25-35 percent always widens the tuning window if New to the sport?? its common to see 60-65 percent Nitro fuel being used @ Competition races.p.s. hard to apply car plug readings to boats. the car unloads easily & the boat is under much more load @ all times jw

Last edited by a moderator:
element pulled out of hsg is a Good Pipe draw.( correct size pipe ) if it is sucked down into the pre chamber? This normally only happens When the engine second stages the pipe & the rpm maxs out! if it is mashed down into the hsg? I would guess wet (excesssive fuel in the crankcase or Excessive oil in the crankcase (Hyd the engine & plug) always a good measure to remove the plug & rotate the engine with the starter untill a fog comes out of the plug hole. Install plug & crank @ this time the engine is ready to start & is properly lubricated. hopes this help you out?

Back