rb marine engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle21895

I was just cruising the internet and came across the new rb concepts c5 engine.I can`t find hp or rpm specs yet but it has the turbo head and turbo cut crank with..............drum roll...........11 ports,not to mention its also a long stroke.Man if I could find a pto for that engine put on a lawless unit and a irwin pipe oh baby B)

Hi,

Your wish has come true.. You can get a PTO for that motor!!!! RB is made by Novarossi and the NR PTO will fit the C-5 motor but you will need a Crank also. You can get it all from PB Racing. TB

yes it is big money but that might be a good thing for the saw racers if its heavy on the hp,and even for the mod class.

I had the top dollar C4 .... it SUCKED!!!! worst engine I ever had. The thing never ran correctly. 90% of the time it would not complete 3 laps without dieing..... could not hold a glow plug if your life depended on it! several very good boaters tried to get it to work properly with no luck.

I thought the RB motors were supposed to be less expensive than Novarossi with equal or less quality. I was told by a decent source that the RB line was supposed to be a little less
dollar.gif
expensive
dollar.gif
so the LHS guys could move more of them. The primary distribution for these motors was supposed to be through Local Hobby Shops.

Tom, I am wondering if you just got a dud motor. In my experiences with RB's they are real great motors. I do know that they are picky on break in and that everyone puts os carbs on.

Adam

From what I gather the new c5 has a carb designed specifically for marine use.It has a rotory carb,9mm throat,and the main needle has a servo arm so it acts as a 3rd channel mixer.I have read up on its cousin the c5 on-road and from what I gather this motor is awsome.You can read reviews about the c5 on various web sites, and about the motor not running right I think you may have just got a bad motor Tom.The C4 was the last generation and they may have made improvments in the area of reliability with this new carb designed for marine use.

From what I gather the new c5 has a carb designed specifically for marine use.It has a rotory carb,9mm throat,and the main needle has a servo arm so it acts as a 3rd channel mixer.I have read up on its cousin the c5 on-road and from what I gather this motor is awsome.You can read reviews about the c5 on various web sites, and about the motor not running right I think you may have just got a bad motor Tom.The C4 was the last generation and they may have made improvments in the area of reliability with this new carb designed for marine use.

If they have changed it more power to em, But I remember when Tom was havin trouble with his. He sent me pics assembled and torn down, I gave him a few try this and that and a few others had hands on with the engine and it never ran right. I do remember reading something bout pourous casting and air leaks round the backplate and carb,

Gene :D

They don't run any better than Novarossi. Why pay more money for the same engine? My LHS pushes them really hard. I guess there is a larger profit margin.

I don`t think its the same motor.The nova rossi has 9 ports and the C5 has 11.It may be a nova rossi based motor but the insides are different.

RB's are made by nova to RB's specs. I have had nothing but great experiences with RB buggy engines. Easy to tune,awesome power,and they last forever. 7 to 10 gallons on one in the dirty environment of off road 1/8th scale is almost a given.Drove a friends car with a c5 in it. All I could do was giggle. The ws7 in my car was modded and pretty freakin ballistic,his was stock and off the hook. I could,nt believe the difference. Seemed like it never ran out of rpm. Always wanted to try one in a boat,just never got around to it.

I called precision boats and talked to a guy and he said that as long as the stroke matches between the nova and the c5 that the crank they make will fit so I looked and they both are 16.80 mm. I am having a hard time deciding between the c5 marine and the mac powerhead.I have seen where people have had problems with the mac as far as tuned pipe length.I just want to come up with the baddest engine available with cost not being an issue.

Hi Guys

I haven't had direct experience with RB engines but those I know who have have been very happy with them. (in cars) They are another NR derivative. Rody Roem ex 1/8th world champ specifies how he wants them built and NR make them.

3-5-6-7-9-10-11 ports NR make all variants - doesn't necessarily make one go harder than another just different ways of skinning the same cat. Anybody can drill a couple of hole in a liner and claim increase port count - or put a bridge in a big port - does it make it work better? <_<

I don't think NR have ever built a bad motor but how individuals treat them and set them up and run them is a different issue. I'm not so sure about some of their carbs but who knows? I guess even a top notch manufacturer can have a bad one escape. Some of the more exclusive motors are test run before there even allowed to leave the factory. You do pay the extra for it though.

:rolleyes:

I think increased port count helps with rpm on top end.Most of the killer on-raod engines have at least 7 ports not including the exhaust.I in fact wrote the port count wrong for the c5 it has 9 ports not including the 3 exhaust ports.I forgot what special word they called this particular exhaust port set up but I see your point in a way about skinning a cat,and yes you do pay for prerun engines especially the hand worked jp modifieds and the rody modified etc. but with these specially built engines come with that extra edge people are looking for in racing and that is the edge that I am trying to achieve.I have nothing against the NR or the CMB or any other engine mfg its just that the new C5 has a little extra to offer than the others in my opinion.If I buy this engine and run against other engines and I feel that I have a slightly better engine than the money spent is worth while to me.

Guys I have run the C5 and WS7 II engines in my 1/8 buggy, I now run only RB eninges and pipes. I used to run the Novarossi P5, but didnt like the power band. The RB eninges from Rody are TOP NOTCH, If you can afford it the Rody Modified eninges are an absolute power house. They have the tightest piston liner fit ive ever felt in a new engine, and require a sepcific breakin routine to perform properly (ask me how I know :) )

I just got back from the first round of the RC proseries race in Orlando Florida, out of 140 1/8 scale pro entries, Id say honestly half of them were RB's.

My .02 cents

~ James

Back