radar gun

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stalker Pro is a $1,800+ radar gun that can measure the speed of objects with true accuray to 1/10th MPH, across a wide speed range, even when the objects are very far away. Typical tracking distances are as follows; semi truck-10,000 ft; automobile-6,000 ft; motorcycle-4,000 ft; boat-3,500 ft; personal watercraft-2,500 ft; model plane-1,000 ft; baseball-300 ft. Its speed rang is 1 to 300 MPH. Target acquisition time: 0.01 seconds in whole digits & 0.04 seconds in tenths. Update rate: 100 per second in whole digits & 30 per second in tenth digits. The gun has two seperate speed displays running simultaneousy, both the continously tracked speeds & the peak speeds can be shown together.

The gun should never be moved when tracking an object & it should only be used with objects comming to or going away from the gun. Readings taken without this method will always have a tangent error & moving the gun invalidates any readings. Water spray from a propeller has no effect on the guns readings no matter the direction.

The weekend of 8/20/11, I tested my Stalker Pro against a data logger system mounted in a pylon racing plane at the Julian, NC pylon race course. The maximum speed readings were consistently within 1/10 MPH between the data logger & the radar gun. Speeds measured were between 165 to 195 MPH.

Jim Allen

note: The Stalker Pro uses a polarized twin horn Ka band system. This configuration uses seperat horns for the transmit & receive functions. There will be nothing received unless the transmitted energy strikes a solid object. This system outperforms other radars by a large margin.

I think you'll find that the error is a cosine angle factor rather than a tangent.

I've had a Stalker ATS with STATS for years. Always accurate and reliable.

Regards,

Doug

I was not refering to the angle error(cosine error) chart found on page 10 of the operators manual. It should be obivious that an accurate determination of the angle from 0 to 90 degrees must first be determined before any speed calculation can be obtained. I wonder how any one does that with a model plane in the air or model boat on the water?

Jim Allen
Sorry for my confusion, Jim. The only tangent reference I know of with regard to radar is the relationship of the in-phase and quadrature parts of the signal, used to calculate signal to noise ratio and I doubt that many radar gun owners would need to know or bother with that.

Straight toward you or straight away; that's about it since the angle will always be changing if otherwise.

Regards,

Doug

I agree. If my memory serves me correctly, the in-phase, quadrature parts of the signal & the calculations of these components are related to each other through the sine & cosine functions. From this the signal magnitude & the angle can be calculated.

Jim Allen

Back