Prop strut, rear mounted or underneath?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Ellwood

Hi all,

Only me with another hydroplane question :D - sorry, there are going to be a lot!

I noticed in some recent youtubing while it was quiet at work that almost, if not all of the Hydroplane builds (American youtuber if that makes a difference) had the prop strut mounted to the bottom of the boat rather than the transom, like I always have done and seen on boats here in Europe.

Is this an American thing? Or is there a reason why it's like this on hydroplanes? Does it make a difference?

Very curious to know!

Thanks very much in advance.
Jake

On this one, Jake, I would suggest you check with people that run boats in your area. The rules in Europe are probably very different than here in the US so we may be giving you some bad information and, since it's how we do things here, we wouldn't know the difference

Appreciate that, HJ. However, I don't intend on racing this one. Just fun at the lake with friends. Kinda tempted to put the strut through the floor for something different and as a learning experience. Will think on it 😉

Mark Anderson and Eric Bourlet tested inboard versus outboard strut mounting on identical Mutt Sport 40s. The could find no difference in performance when they raced them together around a course. It's easier to mount the strut outboard on the transom as was noted above.

Lohring Miller

I set up my sport 40 to have the strut exit the bottom of the hull, but I also have the option to transom mount out as well just by flipping the brackets, should I decide to.
IMG_20201231_124902.jpg

Youre not wrong, Phil!
I went ahead and ran it this way but im so happy with how it runs, I have no need to change it now! Maybe talking to you about a Stealth hull in 2021 🤔 that's for another thread though!

Sorry for not replying to this any further everyone. Thank you all for the input. I went for transom mounted strut. As others mentioned, its easier :)

Latest posts

Back