Polishing your lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider that Mercury racing does not polish their racing drives and they offer lab finished props. They should know. I have talked to more than one old racer that said having a lightly textured finish on half of the prop blade works too.

IMPBA rules (referring to B Sport):

• The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened or polished. No material shall be added to the lower unit.
Looks like I was wrong in both cases, shouldn't be a problem!
Yep, thats the correct IMPBA rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the pass some of the K&B lowers werent all that nice. More material on one side to the other. ANd not running true with prop assembly. So grinding them down was good. I sharpen and shape the skeg. I polish it with a scotch brite wheel just cause it cleans up the 100grit belt sanding I do to the lower. My 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to scotch Brite, it's a time saver & don't have to grind anything..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Consider that Mercury racing does not polish their racing drives and they offer lab finished props. They should know. I have talked to more than one old racer that said having a lightly textured finish on half of the prop blade works to
Most Champ boat lowers are polished , I spent plenty of time repolishing all 3 Rinker boats before the 1st heat of the weekend -after that we didnt bother.
default_rolleyes.gif

I asked James if he thinks it makes a chit on our stuff- when I he gets back to me I'll let ya know. The only reason I wanted you to be sure it was legal was from past - really stupid- protests made over altering a STOCK motor.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back