Outside diameter of bolt??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

Is the outside diameter (major diameter?) of an M10 bolt 10mm (.3937 inch)??

thanks,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Sean! :D

Strugling with the metric system?

Sure, outside diameter on a M10 is 10 mm (millimeter) as a M6 is 6 mm and a M5 is 5 mm.

This is approx if the bolt got low tolerance.

Where on the boat do you find such a huge bolt? :D

It is a lathe bolt I am looking at (lathe is going to be used to make head buttons for RC engines).

The stud on my cross slide, that holds my tool post, is about .387 wide. I was looking for a quick change tool posts and found one that is held down by an M10 bolt...which means it should fit over the stud in my cross slide if a 10m bolt is 10 mm.

It would also be useful to find a table that has the major diameter of different bolt sizes for when I want to thread something on the lathe. Then I know what diameter to turn it down to before cutting the threads in it.

I did a google for "major diameter 10M threading table" hoping to find a table with the diameter needed for different bolts, with no luck. Maybe I am using the wrong term (major diameter)..???

Some bolts are easy...ie 1/4 x 32 it going to have a major diameter of about 1/4 inch...but what about a #6 x 32...etc??

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
In metric threads the thread diameter is the same size as the bolt size, Its exactally the same as when cutting imperial size threads. ie if its a 6mm bolt the threaded part you machine to 6mm the same. Regards Martin.

Latest posts

Back