OPS PIPES and Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran OPS for many years with great results.

My biggest complaint was not the mounting bolt pattern it was that they would not update to a bolt on carb and a one peice case.

That would have made a huge difference with OPS engines.

Performance was never a problem with OPS.

Tim K

Maybe when Remy saw that the price for his next batch of engines was getting close to what he is selling them for he decided to throw in the towel....I don't know! The weak dollar has increased the cost of Italian engines to increase 60% since 2000. That does not include normal manufacture price increases.

$350 for a 67 is'nt bad, but for an engine that has some issues that require additional money and/or labor to correct, it becomes difficult to increase the selling price......

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is Aeromarine keeping some parts in stock? I need a connecting rod for a .21 OPS supermarine. Or is there somewhere else to get OPS parts?

Josh-

So, is Aeromarine keeping some parts in stock? I need a connecting rod for a .21 OPS supermarine. Or is there somewhere else to get OPS parts?
Josh-
Josh,

If I was you I would order everything I need now and in the near future, then hope someone else takes over OPS in the States.

Walt Barney

The $ exchange killed it for Remy and Aeromarine. For it to be worth it...he would have to charge $700 + for an OPS .45 .

This is a shame. My self and some others in D1 run OPS .45s in Sport 40 hydros that really rock.

Spoke w/ Remy and Troy at Aeromarine today. Almost nothing left in stock.

I hope someone takes this over in the USA, but this dollar exchange thing will not change just because the distributor changes.

BTW: Who is the importer for CMB currently, and does anyone know how much a CMB .45 goes for these days? Just curious.

Until Andy gets the MAC back on the market......it's a sad day for the nitro fans. I know my parts supply is plentiful, but it won't last forever.

Josh-
Josh,

If I was you I would order everything I need now and in the near future, then hope someone else takes over OPS in the States.

Walt Barney

Guy's

i can get the newest ops 45 and 67's and parts

ops 45 with pipe $360.00aus

ops 67 with pipe $425aus

regards Aaron

Aaron,

That's great! Is this on a consistant basis, meaning...you have a thriving dealer/importer in Australia?

Just wondering for the future.

Do you know what this = in US dollars and what would it cost to ship these?

Would we purchase through you, or not to inconvenience you, can we go direct to the dealer?

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Guy'si can get the newest ops 45 and 67's and parts

ops 45 with pipe $360.00aus

ops 67 with pipe $425aus

regards Aaron

:rolleyes: I have a few inputs about this whole thing about engines as a whole. The prices for engines I feel is over rated honestly how hard is it to cast and engine crankcase with the way molds are made they should be able to case at least 20 crankcases per molding. Then all the internal parts of the engine (crankshafts, conrods, sleeves/pistons) with the new day and age of CNC machining how much effort is involved in manufacturing the parts. All I can say it is how much money can I put in my back pocket, and screw the little man. Everybody talks about the R/C model in a whole is a dying hobby, you can't expect to get anybody new into the hobby because who in there right mind would want to pay the prices to get into the hobby or if they do then the next thing you find is they have it listed on Ebay, because they can't afford to stay into it. If by chance there was somebody that could make an affordable engine that would run the same as a Picco or an OPS engine then by sum streek of luck you would be able to see new blood in the Hobby and it wouldn't die out like most things do. I can tell you one thing for sure if I had access to a machine shop I'd Guarantee it would be a money maker just to manufacture Piston/Sleeves and connecting rods for engines and call them Generic Reproductions for the Picco and OPS engines. If the prices for Engines continues to rise the only thing you'll find in the R/C boats will be all Electric motors or Gas engines there will no Nitro competion races. That my friend is my two cents worth on the subject. Dave

Aeromarine is no longer a dist. of OPS Pipes and engines, :( I had a conversation with Aeromarine today and this is what I was told. No reson was given.Walt Barney
Bummer :( , I guess that's why they haven't shiped the OPS 90 I ordered.

-Mike

:rolleyes: I have a few inputs about this whole thing about engines as a whole. The prices for engines I feel is over rated honestly how hard is it to cast and engine crankcase with the way molds are made they should be able to case at least 20 crankcases per molding. Then all the internal parts of the engine (crankshafts, conrods, sleeves/pistons) with the new day and age of CNC machining how much effort is involved in manufacturing the parts. All I can say it is how much money can I put in my back pocket, and screw the little man. Everybody talks about the R/C model in a whole is a dying hobby, you can't expect to get anybody new into the hobby because who in there right mind would want to pay the prices to get into the hobby or if they do then the next thing you find is they have it listed on Ebay, because they can't afford to stay into it. If by chance there was somebody that could make an affordable engine that would run the same as a Picco or an OPS engine then by sum streek of luck you would be able to see new blood in the Hobby and it wouldn't die out like most things do. I can tell you one thing for sure if I had access to a machine shop I'd Guarantee it would be a money maker just to manufacture Piston/Sleeves and connecting rods for engines and call them Generic Reproductions for the Picco and OPS engines. If the prices for Engines continues to rise the only thing you'll find in the R/C boats will be all Electric motors or Gas engines there will no Nitro competion races. That my friend is my two cents worth on the subject. Dave

The proplem is NUMBERS!! You can buy a RTR 18 for $100, but they build many thousands every year.

Picco, CMB, OPS, MAC annual sales numbers are only hundreds....sometimes only dozens.

Call Picco and order 1000 engines and they WILL build them for you! Order 10,000 and they will build them CHEAPER....just a mear $2.5 million investment!!

RCBOATMANIAC,

I work in the casting and molding industry. Aparently you have no idea about what you speak. Multi cavity molds for aluminum die casting in the shapes od an engine are very difficult to make and expensive. I investigated a simple injection mold for a lower unit, and was quoted $35,000. A 2~4 cavity engine case mold could easily run $250,000. There is also the tooling for the sand/shell cores. The CNC machines to spit out the parts are on the order of $500,000. And then you have to have the CAD models, programming time, and tooling. As Andy has found, it is actually cheaper to CNC the cases from billet stock with the volumes we are dealing with. All of this investment needs to be recouped in a fairly short time frame, like 2~3 years. So do the math, say a $1,500,000 investment amortized over 3 years with an anual volume of 2,500 pieces (overly high?), yields an amortization cost of ~$200/piece. This is overly simple in that is does not include interest or taxes on the investment. Don't forget that the investor wants a return on their investment, as well. The volume of engines for our market alone is a money loser. Now Andy has other parts he is making to keep the equipment running, and that definitely helps. What I'm trying to say is that no one is making a killing in this market segment. They are more likely just scraping by.

The proplem is NUMBERS!! You can buy a RTR 18 for $100, but they build many thousands every year.

Picco, CMB, OPS, MAC annual sales numbers are only hundreds....sometimes only dozens.

Call Picco and order 1000 engines and they WILL build them for you! Order 10,000 and they will build them CHEAPER....just a mear $2.5 million investment!!
Andy; You are 100% right. I have been there and done that !!!

RCBOATMANIAC,I work in the casting and molding industry. Aparently you have no idea about what you speak. Multi cavity molds for aluminum die casting in the shapes od an engine are very difficult to make and expensive. I investigated a simple injection mold for a lower unit, and was quoted $35,000. A 2~4 cavity engine case mold could easily run $250,000. There is also the tooling for the sand/shell cores. The CNC machines to spit out the parts are on the order of $500,000. And then you have to have the CAD models, programming time, and tooling. As Andy has found, it is actually cheaper to CNC the cases from billet stock with the volumes we are dealing with. All of this investment needs to be recouped in a fairly short time frame, like 2~3 years. So do the math, say a $1,500,000 investment amortized over 3 years with an anual volume of 2,500 pieces (overly high?), yields an amortization cost of ~$200/piece. This is overly simple in that is does not include interest or taxes on the investment. Don't forget that the investor wants a return on their investment, as well. The volume of engines for our market alone is a money loser. Now Andy has other parts he is making to keep the equipment running, and that definitely helps. What I'm trying to say is that no one is making a killing in this market segment. They are more likely just scraping by.
I know all about sand cast molding the Navy used to have a job called molders and that is all they did for work pack sand for molds to make valve bodies, pump casings, and what ever else that was required. I also know that the finer the sand used the smoother the finish on the piece your making, bad thing is the industry of sand cast molding is a dying breed how many refineries are there left in the states to my best quess very few, because a lot of it went over sea because it could be done cheaper, and not have to pay there employees all that much and manufacture it cheaper. That is all I am saying, and I do have a lot of knowledge on how products get manufactured. As far as CNC machining programs are written every day for computers to control machinery to manufacture parts, I have over 20 years experience from the Navy as a machinist its not hard to figure stuff out and put 2&2 together and come up with an output. With that all said I ain't going to kick the horse anymore.

i dont like what i hear, but i have to say it was the fact that k&b now ops has or will leave i think because both motors were not used after the transitions.they lost populairity in boating, what was great about ops was you could get parts from years back this in it self is better than having to upgrade your motor.

why dont the other motor companys keep parts on hand after they have quit making an out dated one.

what im saying is we need to support k&b so they will get back into boating, they are made in U.S.A. this is just my thought.

Is anyone running a K&B 67 in their scale hydro? Are they still available? I see them on the mecoa website as available???

Brent

Just talked to Areomarince, they had a connecting rod for my .21 supermarine. So they still have some parts in stock. I wouldn't wait too long if anyone needs anything in particular.

Hello,

I´m Alex Noller one of the distributor for OPS engines and Parts in germany.

I speak with Mantua Modell the new owner of OPS. The told me that Aeremorine will be distributor in USA in future.

O.K. this is the message from last week. I hope I can help You. Please don´t be panik, the OPS will still be produced in all classe 2,5,3,5,6,5,7,5,10,13,15 Aero, Marine and the car engines.

Best regards

Alex Noller

Whew! What a roller coaster! Glad that ride stopped when it did. :blink:

OPS has been an excellent engine. This is great news!

Thank you, Alex!

:)

Latest posts

Back