"Old School" JAE 21 Strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout

Here are photos of my JAE 21 strut. It's made from a 1" x 1/16" brass strip and 5/16" o.d. x .029" wall tubing. It weighs 692 grams, probably a bit more than Zipkits new JAE strut, but it cost me about $3.00 and it was fun to make. Anyone think that the 1/16" brass strip might not be rigid enough?

strut1.jpg

strut2.jpg

strut3.jpg

strut4.jpg

You need to calibrate your scale, a steel rod out of a Chevy won't weigh that much.

Good for you, looks great!

You asked, so I'll bite, I think 1/16" ss would be better with 45% silver solder... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

You asked, so I'll bite, I think 1/16" ss would be better with 45% silver solder... :unsure:
Yah, I need to get some stainless steel to add to my supply of metals. I haven't bothered since my LHS doesn't stock it. I'll have to look and see what McMasters has available.

Yah, I need to get some stainless steel to add to my supply of metals. I haven't bothered since my LHS doesn't stock it. I'll have to look and see what McMasters has available.
Looks great but might flex a bit, try www.onlinemetals.com for materials.

If you're concerned about flex you could soldier a piece of brass tube or angle down the side of the strut. This will stiffen it up.

Latest posts

Back