Old Flying Models Magazine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
That bring back the old days.

Just got out of control line air planes.

Went to air water in Indy to watch, Had Bob Finley to get me

a crapshooter 40. Put a HP40 motor from my rat racer in it.

Use to go to Indy to test at add water to test. That was my

first boat.

Dam that make me old!!!!

Norris

Look at how young a lot of the guys are in those shots! It's amazing that many of them are still around and racing yet, once this hobby gets ahold of you it won't let go!.

I find the ads just as interesting.

The only thing that I found what seemed to be out of place was the UPC code on the cover as I didn't think that those were around back then.

Most interesting thing to me is only "8" classes offered. B-D-E-F Mono and Hydro, no tunnels, sports, scale, stock, beginner, SS etc. etc.

LOL, that's great!

You, Ed, John and Gary all look like teenagers!

I especially like this from the "Record Runs" report:

"We will see 80 mph in the hydro class and possibly 55 mph in the mono class", boy have we come a long way.

And how 'bout that cover, see they had cougars back then too. :lol:

Thanks for sharing . It was those magazines that got me fired up to start boating in 1981 . 77 MPH 40 hydro in 1976 !! Sweet !

Marty ...I recognize that hat !!

Norm, back then parts were made by machinst.

That is right, I grew up around machinist. It is sad that not many kids are taking that career path these days. Even worst, they don't even offer classes in schools for machining, woodworking, automotive and so forth....at least back then kids could learn the basics of shop machinery, and how to do basic stuff. Not any more. :(

That is right, I grew up around machinist. It is sad that not many kids are taking that career path these days. Even worst, they don't even offer classes in schools for machining, woodworking, automotive and so forth....at least back then kids could learn the basics of shop machinery, and how to do basic stuff. Not any more. :(
Todays classes, Crackberry 101 Nintendo 101 Playstation 101 if you graduate you get a free Wii game. Sad but true. :(

Todays classes, Crackberry 101 Nintendo 101 Playstation 101 if you graduate you get a free Wii game. Sad but true. :(
They need instructions for a screwdriver, and that has to be done by texting the manufacturer.

Guys,

Not sure where you guys all live, but in Traverse City, MI

you can still learn how to do skilled trades at our schools.

If not, you can find it on Youtube, just learn how to use

an Iphone 4 like I have. :D

Thanks for Reading,

Mark Sholund

I read that copy of FM over and over and over again. That was my 3rd year of R/c boating and sources for information were very limited. I did a lot of reading between the lines just to squeeze every byte of information out of those articles.

We have it so good today with a world of information just a few key strokes away.

Guys,

Not sure where you guys all live, but in Traverse City, MI

you can still learn how to do skilled trades at our schools.

If not, you can find it on Youtube, just learn how to use

an Iphone 4 like I have. :D

Thanks for Reading,

Mark Sholund
Nothing like that here that i know of . School budget cuts have all but closed them(schools ) !! Too much money going in the wrong places .

Not to derail the thread ..magazines used to be the means of aquiring knowledge and getting the imagination going like Andy said . i still have many many old airplane and motorcycle mags laying around ...pick them up from time to time . :)

Back