CMB OB TUNNEL RACE REPORT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

Guys,

I know that many have been asking for a final results summary of the tunnel championships race just held in SC. I have been assembling the data and recovering from the 18 + hour days prepping and running the race.

Many thanks, first and foremost, to our many sponsors. Without you, we had no means to put this championship race on. It was worth all of the work looking back. From the early comments, including the kind ones from Grimracer, the IMPBA National OB Director, they have been positive and comforting at the same time.

Now for the summary:

B TUNNEL

1st - Grimracer, IL (Nemesis)

2nd - Randy Premo, FL (Lynx) - Run off winner

3rd - Gabe Clegg, Germany (Villian)

SPORT B

1st - Mike Talley, AL (Lynx) Run off winner

2nd - John Otto, FL

3rd - Mike Hemric, NC (TopSpeed2)

D TUNNEL

1st - Mark Poole, GA (HTB)

2nd - Mike Talley, AL (Shaman)

3rd - Don Gilbert, SC (HTB)

SPORT D

1st - Mike Talley, AL (Shaman)

2nd - Mitch Atwell Jr, FL (Savage)

3rd - Tony Atwell, FL (HTB)

E/F TUNNEL

1st - Jimmie Shaver, SC

2nd - David Ashmore, SC

3rd - Don Gilbert, SC (Hornet)

OPEN TUNNEL

2nd- Kevin Lee, GA (Shaman)

3rd - Steve Hearl, FL

OPEN OFFSHORE

1st - Chuck Gardiner, NC (TopSpeed2)

2nd - Jimmie Shaver, SC

OPEN ENDURO

1st - Jimmie Shaver, SC

2nd - Ron Byrd, FL (TopSpeed2)

MOD-VP

1st - Mike Talley, AL, Red Boat

2nd - Tony Atwell, FL, PINK Boat

3rd - Mike Hemric, NC, Yellow Boat - Run off winner

SPECIAL NOTE: The TopSpeed2 is a new off the shelf production model available widely in your local hobby shop. Many do not look at it as a top level competitive boat but look at the results. It took a 1st and a 2nd in separate classes. Also took a 4th and a 5th in other ones as well. The drivers of them, Mike Hemric, Chuck Gardiner and Ron Byrd all drove them exceptionally well in a championship level race that is only exceeded by the internats. With their ability and a solidly designed boat, they brought home the wood against top level competitors. Congrats to each of them and to AquaCraft for a job well done!

Competition between states - won last year by SC - trophies won

SC - 7

FL - 7

AL - 4

GA - 3

Germany - 3

NC - 3

By tradition, ties allows the previous winner to retain the title so SC has the title again. The SMACK BUSTERS were BUSTED by the SMACK PACK this year. Carl - you guys will have to listen to a year of the Atwell's. Oh brother!

SMACK TALK CHALLENGE SHOOTOUT WINNER WITH MOD-VP BOATS

Grimracer

CONCOURS WINNER

Don Gilbert, Yellow HTB (by 2 points total among 3 judges)

UGLY DOG BOAT WINNER

Gabe Clegg, Villian (due to hard stuff on Friday's open water and demolished cowl)

HIGH POINT AWARD

Mark Poole, 2600 points with HTB D Tunnel

SMACK TALK AWARD

Ron Byrd

LONG HAUL AWARD (LONGEST DISTANCE TO TRAVEL)

Ronald van Essen (Moron), Netherlands

FASTEST LAP B TUNNEL - based upon fastest lap time only

Grimracer, using B tunnel Nemesis

Time of 11.43 seconds, speed of 52.1 mph

Top speed was Kevin Lee at 56.1 mph but slower lap time

FASTEST LAP D TUNNEL - based upon fastest lap time only

Kevin Lee, using D tunnel Shaman

Time of 11.03 seconds, speed of 55.2 mph

Top speed was John Otto at 58.2 mph but slower lap time

A special award was presented by the CMB Club to Ronald van Essen (Moron). It was a tribute in honor of his late wife Monika who passed away in late January and bestowed him membership in the CMB Club as an International Club Member. It was a touching moment and the presentation can be seen at the tunnel race website. Pictures 003,004 & 005 pertains.

Major raffle prizes were donated to this race and went to:

TopSpeed2 (orange) by AquaCraft - won by Don Gilbert

Lynx 285CK (orange and white) built specifically for this race by Carl Van Houten, won by Gabe Clegg

HTB340 (white and purple) built specifially for this race by Mark Hopper, won by Randy Premo

MAC OB powerhead, donated by Andy and John Brown of CMDi, won by Steve Hearl

Mark Hopper donated a Silver Bullet 21 OB pipe as well

Mark Sholund donated 3 race ready props and 14 prop certificates for new props

Richard Konnen (REK Machine & Mold) donated 4 composite 20 tunnel lower halves

Fred Howe (Lawless) donated 4 oil out kits for flushing out our engines at the end of the day

Tee Shirts by AquaCraft

Steve Cirmella donated 2 race ready props

Custom metal tank made by John Steltzer

Plus $200.00 of various other prizes from Randy's Hobby Shop

MANY THANKS TO ALL SPONSORS!!! YOU MADE this race happen.

There was a great deal of hot food available for the racers. Including for many was their first taste of a lowcountry boil (or sometimes called Frogmore Stew). Shrimp, sausage, corn on the cob, and potatoes, seasoned & cooked in a large pot and served up steaming hot. It went quickly. It will become a annual tradition at this race. Grimracer noted to me on late Saturday that he will need to go on a diet or run off the good food that he was offered during the weekend. Simply said he found out what it is meant by the term "Southern Hospitality".

It was our pleasure to host this race and will continue to be an annual tradition. We have already been discussing ways to improve the race for next year. A full size course in place of the long short course we have now will be in place during the summer. Possibly starting open water mid-day on Thursday may be in the works. We expect this race to grow immensely and sell out within the next year or two.

We now have to start looking at our annual invitational race, for ALL classes, scheduled for 7 & 8 October. All monos, hydros, tunnels, scales, sport 40's and gas boats are welcome. We have some special events we will be having so look for the announcement in the next few weeks. It will have a max boat limit and the race WILL sell out.

John

CMB President

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I know that many have been asking for a final results summary of the tunnel championships race just held in SC. I have been assembling the data and recovering from the 18 + hour days prepping and running the race.

Many thanks, first and foremost, to our many sponsors. Without you, we had no means to put this championship race on. It was worth all of the work looking back. From the early comments, including the kind ones from Grimracer, the IMPBA National OB Director, they have been positive and comforting at the same time.

Now for the summary:

B TUNNEL

1st - Grimracer, IL (Nemesis)

2nd - Randy Premo, FL (Lynx) - Run off winner

SPORT B

1st - Mike Talley, AL (Lynx) Run off winner

2nd - John Otto, FL

3rd - Mike Hemric, NC (TopSpeed2)

D TUNNEL

2nd - Mike Talley, AL (Lynx)

3rd - Don Gilbert, SC (HTB)

SPORT D

1st - Mike Talley, AL (Lynx)

2nd - Mitch Atwell Jr, FL (Lynx)

3rd - Tony Atwell, FL (ProGlass)

E/F TUNNEL

1st - Jimmie Shaver, SC

2nd - David Ashmore, SC

3rd - Don Gilbert, SC (Hornet)

OPEN TUNNEL

2nd- Kevin Lee, GA (Lynx)

3rd - Steve Hearl, FL

OPEN OFFSHORE

1st - Chuck Gardiner, NC (TopSpeed2)

2nd - Jimmie Shaver, SC

OPEN ENDURO

1st - Jimmie Shaver, SC

2nd - Ron Byrd, FL (TopSpeed2)

MOD-VP

1st - Mike Talley, AL, Red Boat

2nd - Tony Atwell, FL, PINK Boat

3rd - Mike Hemric, NC, Yellow Boat - Run off winner

SPECIAL NOTE: The TopSpeed2 is a new off the shelf production model available widely in your local hobby shop. Many do not look at it as a top level competitive boat but look at the results. It took a 1st and a 2nd in separate classes. Also took a 4th and a 5th in other ones as well. The drivers of them, Mike Hemric, Chuck Gardiner and Ron Byrd all drove them exceptionally well in a championship level race that is only exceeded by the internats. With their ability and a solidly designed boat, they brought home the wood against top level competitors. Congrats to each of them and to AquaCraft for a job well done!

Competition between states - won last year by SC - trophies won

SC - 7

FL - 7

AL - 4

GA - 3

Germany - 3

NC - 3

By tradition, ties allows the previous winner to retain the title so SC has the title again. The SMACK BUSTERS were BUSTED by the SMACK PACK this year. Carl - you guys will have to listen to a year of the Atwell's. Oh brother!

SMACK TALK CHALLENGE SHOOTOUT WINNER WITH MOD-VP BOATS

Grimracer

CONCOURS WINNER

Don Gilbert, Yellow HTB (by 2 points total among 3 judges)

UGLY DOG BOAT WINNER

Gabe Clegg, Villian (due to hard stuff on Friday's open water and demolished cowl)

HIGH POINT AWARD

Mark Poole, 2600 points with HTB D Tunnel

SMACK TALK AWARD

Ron Byrd

LONG HAUL AWARD (LONGEST DISTANCE TO TRAVEL)

Ronald van Essen (Moron), Netherlands

FASTEST LAP B TUNNEL - based upon fastest lap time only

Grimracer, using B tunnel Nemesis

Time of 11.43 seconds, speed of 52.1 mph

Top speed was Kevin Lee at 56.1 mph but slower lap time

FASTEST LAP D TUNNEL - based upon fastest lap time only

Kevin Lee, using D tunnel Lynx

Time of 11.03 seconds, speed of 55.2 mph

Top speed was John Otto at 58.2 mph but slower lap time

A special award was presented by the CMB Club to Ronald van Essen (Moron). It was a tribute in honor of his late wife Monika who passed away in late January and bestowed him membership in the CMB Club as an International Club Member. It was a touching moment and the presentation can be seen at the tunnel race website. Pictures 003,004 & 005 pertains.

Major raffle prizes were donated to this race and went to:

TopSpeed2 (orange) by AquaCraft - won by Don Gilbert

Lynx 285CK (orange and white) built specifically for this race by Carl Van Houten, won by Gabe Clegg

HTB340 (white and purple) built specifially for this race by Mark Hopper, won by Randy Premo

MAC OB powerhead, donated by Andy and John Brown of CMDi, won by Steve Hearl

Mark Hopper donated a Silver Bullet 21 OB pipe as well

Mark Sholund donated 3 race ready props and 14 prop certificates for new props

Richard Konnen (REK Machine & Mold) donated 4 composite 20 tunnel lower halves

Fred Howe (Lawless) donated 4 oil out kits for flushing out our engines at the end of the day

Tee Shirts by AquaCraft

Steve Cirmella donated 2 race ready props

Custom metal tank made by John Steltzer

Plus $200.00 of various other prizes from Randy's Hobby Shop

MANY THANKS TO ALL SPONSORS!!! YOU MADE this race happen.

There was a great deal of hot food available for the racers. Including for many was their first taste of a lowcountry boil (or sometimes called Frogmore Stew). Shrimp, sausage, corn on the cob, and potatoes, seasoned & cooked in a large pot and served up steaming hot. It went quickly. It will become a annual tradition at this race. Grimracer noted to me on late Saturday that he will need to go on a diet or run off the good food that he was offered during the weekend. Simply said he found out what it is meant by the term "Southern Hospitality".

It was our pleasure to host this race and will continue to be an annual tradition. We have already been discussing ways to improve the race for next year. A full size course in place of the long short course we have now will be in place during the summer. Possibly starting open water mid-day on Thursday may be in the works. We expect this race to grow immensely and sell out within the next year or two.

We now have to start looking at our annual invitational race, for ALL classes, scheduled for 7 & 8 October. All monos, hydros, tunnels, scales, sport 40's and gas boats are welcome. We have some special events we will be having so look for the announcement in the next few weeks. It will have a max boat limit and the race WILL sell out.

John

CMB President
Quick edit. The D tunnel boats listed as Lynx's and Kevin's fast lap boat are all Shamen's which is the big brother to the Lynx. In sport D I had a Savage hulland Tony had an HTB. Fast speed for B tunnel was Randy Premo, not Kevin, he didn't run attempt a fast lap in that class. Make note that in D tunnel in was Mike Talley's twin OS powered Shamen that took 2nd place. Other than that great job. I know it took alot of time to type this up for everyone to see. If you didn't attend this race it is probably and most likely one of the finest, funnest races that you could have attended all year. I would advise you, don't miss it next year. Thanks again to the CMB club and all of its members for putting on a great show.

~Mitch Jr.

Mr. John Knight,

I would like to put in my request right now to not hold future events near the 24th of March as I am sure I will want to attend my grandson's birthdays and I won't be able to take missing this great event two years in a row! Now after maybe seven or eight years I'll be able to bring him along since we all know kids can drive circles around adults!

I sure did miss the action this year, sounds like you all had a fabulous time. Sorry about Hearl, we'll try to keep him under control in the future. Maybe we can zip tie him to one of those pine trees.

Don Riek

Former Fast Lap B Champ

Don,

Congrats on the new grandson. We missed you this race and will do what we can but the district racing schedule will dictate more of what we do than anything. I have another spring period preferred but it was not available this year. Will have to see what the next year(s) have in store.

Actually Steve was rather calm as his gimpy knee kept him down. His spirits were good but his mobility was not. He was still fun to be with.

Mitch Jr,

Thanks for the correction. I knew I would end up with something wrong with the summary and the boats. Was a lot to compile.

Kevin did indeed run the B tunnel trials. I have the sheets with the time and speeds recorded. He had the fastest speed but made a wide turn that dropped his lap time. Grim's time was 11.43 and Randy Premo's time was 11.44.

The Sport O/B twin was eating gator tails like pop corn shrimp... LOL

I had to say it just one more time Tony.

We had a BLAST!

-Carl,

Guys it sounds like a great race meet

i might try and knock off the long haul award next year

i think i should start planning now

Do i need to join impba or will my Ampba membership be ok ?

As far as I know you can do a 1 time event fee of $10.00 since you are a member of AMPBA.

Ron

As far as I know you can do a 1 time event fee of $10.00 since you are a member of AMPBA.

Ron

Ron is correct. Guest fee from another racing organization is $10.00. If you come from down under your would certainly get the long haul award. I presume you are used to the fun times Wild Bill brings. We have a whole bunch of them! Better things in store for next year's race too!

Best location to look at flying into is Savannah, GA airport which is about 45 minutes to the south. Would not recommend coming into Charleston SC as the rates are much higher. We will announce the dates as soon as we can to allow for maximum planning.

Great race John and the CMB Gang, Dammit Mann we sure had fun , sides are just getting back to normal, To see Grims face after he flew down the driveway and was late for the Driver's meeting was simply priceless! (Thanks for not getting pizzed Grim), Cyaa in Evansville

Steve Hearl P.S Kevin Lee the Motel called and wants their chairs back.

Ron

Ron is correct. Guest fee from another racing organization is $10.00. If you come from down under your would certainly get the long haul award. I presume you are used to the fun times Wild Bill brings. We have a whole bunch of them! Better things in store for next year's race too!

Best location to look at flying into is Savannah, GA airport which is about 45 minutes to the south. Would not recommend coming into Charleston SC as the rates are much higher. We will announce the dates as soon as we can to allow for maximum planning.
For the long haulers, it would also be good to post your intent to travel before you book the tickets. It's possible that someone from one of the nearby metropolitan areas will be attending and could get you from the airport and to the race. Of course finding time to do some sight seeing while you are here is a good thing too. Savannah and Charleston are both great places to visit.

Steve,

Late for day two was a classic.. I was like .. what the heck is all the racket.. Classic for sure.

The entire race form head to toe was a blast...

Thanks for allowing us to feel like just one of the gang.

ROCK ON

Grimracer

For the long haulers, it would also be good to post your intent to travel before you book the tickets. It's possible that someone from one of the nearby metropolitan areas will be attending and could get you from the airport and to the race. Of course finding time to do some sight seeing while you are here is a good thing too. Savannah and Charleston are both great places to visit.

Well Chuck, that sounds great, I will fly to Chicago, and then drive with Grim ( hope he doesn't mind) 15 hrs down south.

I love the travel time..LOL :lol:

Ronald.

Great thanks guys i will see if i can round up some other boys to make the trip

would anyone be willing to accept a large freight box i might have to freight the gear seperate

the 1/4 scale won't fit in my suitcase

if not i could just pack up the .21 and .45 mod boats
\

oooo thats sounds like fun i might have 2 have a think about it and see if i can get time off work lol

laters dion

Well Chuck, that sounds great, I will fly to Chicago, and then drive with Grim ( hope he doesn't mind) 15 hrs down south.

I love the travel time..LOL :lol:

Ronald.
Ronald, you've got an odd sense of "nearby", but if it works for you! :p Heck, I think I saw a post from Jerry Dunlap saying he might have to attend. If I recall correctly, he lives in Washington. Just think how much travel time that would give you! :D

hey pulsetech, if you dont mind driving, and you are renting a car, it would be cheaper flying into a larger airport like Atlanta, not sure if the cost of gas/time on the road would be worth the difference in cost, but its worth looking into. Its about 5 hours from Atlanta to the pond, all interstate, so its easy. If you have a few guys with you splitting costs and driving duty, it would be a breeze.

~ James

P.S. If you Aussie guys show up, im gonna HAVE to make it. I want to see the look on all of my buddies faces when you guys drink all of my friends under the table.... been there done that, I know the deal.

hey pulsetech, if you dont mind driving, and you are renting a car, it would be cheaper flying into a larger airport like Atlanta, not sure if the cost of gas/time on the road would be worth the difference in cost, but its worth looking into. Its about 5 hours from Atlanta to the pond, all interstate, so its easy. If you have a few guys with you splitting costs and driving duty, it would be a breeze.

~ James

P.S. If you Aussie guys show up, im gonna HAVE to make it. I want to see the look on all of my buddies faces when you guys drink all of my friends under the table.... been there done that, I know the deal.
Alright Gabe, you want back the smacktalk nr 1 plate back???

Ronald.

Back