Ni-Cad care

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdog-2112

What's the recommendation on the care of Ni-cad batteries? I have some that I use on average about once a week. In an effort to prevent the dreaded "memory effect" I started draining them completely with a light bulb, charge 'em and then top 'em off just before running.

Do you suppose this is the best care for Ni-Cads? How do you care for yours? I thought I had this figured out but "the net" just confuses me more. :huh:

Thanks for your input,

Snowdog

SnowDog,

Someone yesterday explained a similar theory to me because I'm having a drainage problem on my 1700 mah batteries in my JR X3 radio's. Both are the same make, bought them the same day as well as the 16 batteries required to power them. On full charge radio #1 reads 11.7 power output and radio #2 reads 11.4

In about 6 hours they drain down to 11.1 and 10.7, my friend said use a bulb discharge them but when I'm done, remove one battery from each pack to break the memory cycle. I'm gonna try it this week. I was told to charge the pack for 3 days using the JR charger.

You need to be careful not to discharge too much also. It is pretty well know to discharge no lower than .9 volts (per cell)

Nicads need to be left in a discharged state when not in use for sure, then charged completely bfore use. The worst thing you can do is use your freshly charged radio one weekend for a couple hours, and then charge the radio again the next weekend without completely discharging the pack before charging.

~ James

LOL Ahhhh **** i knew i wasnt doing it right.

Ok guys, Whats a good CHARGER, DISCHARGER TO use to "cycle" Your batteries?

Thanks

Tom

Alot of guys use the Accu-cycle unit, I have the iNDi 16X pro which works good too. I cycle my batteries about 6 times a season. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Don,

You said you cycle them about 6 times a season, do you just charge them before use everytime?

I used to use throw away AAs in my Jr, but my new futaba radio has nicads

Anyhelp on charging info would be great.

Thanks

Tom

I know everyone has their own preferences but here is what I've been doing for about the last 6 years. I run 1500 mil 6 volt packs in all my boats except the 21SGX & record trials stuff which is 600 mil @ 6 volts. I tried the dry cells in boats but find Nicads the way to go for me. I do use the Duracell hi capacity dry cells in my transmitters though. I don't make packs either, I buy pre-made from Batteries America (Mr Nicad) & use 5 of the KR1500 AUL cells in either flat ot 3/2 stack (sport 40 & scale) packs (I don't run 4 cell packs as the servos are much stronger at 6 volts). The AUL size cell is shorter than a AA & just a touch fatter in diameter. For what B/A charges for assembled packs with gold plated connector of your choice it keeps things simple & cost effective for me. I charge the boats up just before a race & with 1500 mil it's plenty for 3 days of open water & racing. With cycling about 6 times a season it amounts to about every month & a half or so. Also when I get a brand new pack I will ALWAYS trickle charge them to full the first time (less than 50 mil rate). This has worked well for me & have not had any packs develop the "memory". Some of the packs I still use are like 4 years old & going strong. I hope this helps & I've attached the link for Batteries America below and I can say their service is first rate! :)

http://www.mrnicd-ehyostco.com/

Thanks Don,

I have been doing what you have been doing, didnt know if you needed to cycle them at charges, discharge and charge.

Thanks again

Tom

nitrotoys said:
Thanks Don,
I have been doing what you have been doing, didnt know if you needed to cycle them at charges, discharge and charge.

Thanks again

Tom
Like I said before I know everyone has their own preferences & this is what has worked well for me. I will say that I have seen a couple guys who cycle batteries at every charge have packs die prematurely. I can't say if it's related but cycling the packs does load them way more than our little boats ever do..... :blink:

So with all of that said, I get the feeling that I should only completely discharge them once a month. Is that a good synopsis?

Snowdog

snowdog-2112 said:
So with all of that said, I get the feeling that I should only completely discharge them once a month.  Is that a good synopsis?
Snowdog
That should be more than enough, even every other month would be ok too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read lots of information about nicads over the years, most of it contradictory! My two pence (cents) worth is.

1. Make sure that the leads and connectors are in good condition, pull the negative lead on the pack near the plug occasionally. The core of the wire rots leaving just the plastic insulation holding it together.

2. Buy good quality cells from a reputable source.

3. Discard them after a season or two. After all what is the price of a nicad pack against losing control of your boat?

Mike Broad

Hey Mike-

The negative (black) wire rotting out is called "black wire disease" & there is a reason for it. The above link to "rc battery clinic" has a good explanation of it. I definitely agree with buying battery from a reputable dealer, hence my on-going loyalty to Batteries America, not to mention the service is great! As for the discarding after a year or two? Can't really agree there as properly cared for NiCads should easily last 3-4 years. There is more good reading on NiCad life & charging in the same above mentioned site. :)

Back