NEWS!!!!!!! NOVAROSSI direct drive 46 motor.......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the same motor just with oppersite rotation crankshaft and different backplate.., backplate has 2x Bearings and another small crankshaft like an outboard motor...
Aaron One more question which one use Creamic bearings or standard metal bearings for backplate? thanks
Allan

The one's i have got steel bearings in the backplate..
Aaron,

The obvious question, is NR going to eventually make a PTO that will fit the available outboard lowers or are they thinking about coming out with their own complete outboard motor? This new design now gives us the crank we need so if they are not going to build a PTO, this motor will be much easier for Mark Leyde to modify for sure.

BTW, this is ALL good stuff and congrats to David Hall if this is the result of his genius............. :D

Boaters,

I can tell you that Rod's story is exactly how it is.

I have one of David's masterpieces in one of my

S.A.W. boats, and they look exactly the same.

David and Rod have been doing some really

nice special motors for a long time.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Hav'nt K+B been making motors(outboards) with this kind of style for more then 20 years+

crank with a pin with a P.T.O......

or i'm getting very confused here.. :eek:

Anyway back to topic...... awesome news for all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers Luca

Hav'nt K+B been making motors(outboards) with this kind of style for more then 20 years+

crank with a pin with a P.T.O......

or i'm getting very confused here.. :eek:

Anyway back to topic...... awesome news for all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers Luca

Yes.....you are confused......

Luca was comparing the K&B outboard to the new NR....thats like comparing apples and oranges.....

I was comparing the K&B outboard to the NR.46 turnaround........we all tried a K&B like this in the 80's.....Imade mine with the CMB .21 drum.....

I have seen one of these K&B's before but the crank is still in the front housing [flywheel end] ....

All that was done here is added a rear rotor....the end result is the same just a different approach getting it done......

The trick part of the turnaround motor is the collet end is nothing more than a pto disc ,not a crank.......

I tried the turnaround type of engine before I built these engines. The weak link then was the crank breaking thru the intake port and the crank pin breaking off. That is why I went to the rear rotor engine. Maybe they have remedied these problems, just have to wait and see.

Charles

I think the old problem with the motors in the past where the crank would break across the induction cutout would be greatally reduced with this design. With a front induction conventional shaft you had the rod assenbly attatched to the crank pin transmitting power through the shaft &; the coupling end driving the prop which is producing a twisting action through the shaft. Escpecially when the prop jumped out of the water & then went back in again producing a massive load through the shaft. I think if theirs a weak point in this design it will be the crank pin as long as this is beefed up in this area but only time will tell as their will not be much load across the port cut out.We used this very design engine that Nova has produced 30 years ago in our tether hydros,We would use the stock shafts & spark erode the pin out push in a needle roller drive pin, make a pto on the motor the same as this design. Only problem we had using a stock shaft modded you had to run the motor the opposite way at the pto end so we had to make right hand props, run the boat clockwise on the circle apposed to the normal anti clockwise circle. Martin.

How much for the conversion kit and when will they be available.
Mark Leyde "lights" already builds a conversion kit ( flywheel,crank and PTO ) for $285. Look for his thread or PM him.

TL

Guy's

lets get back to the topic, well done to who ever was involved in this design....

its all about another option for the racers...

regards Aaron

Good to see the quick design change.

Great customer support if you ask me.

Can not wait to see what this will lead to.

David

How long have you had this prototype??????????

aaron alberico, on 01 March 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Rod

Awhile.... Why?

Let me tell you a story......"turn-around" motors like the new Novarossi .46 you debuted from Novarossi,have been coming out of

David Halls secret Smithy room for the past 16 years that I know of........

About 5 years ago David made a turnaround .12 motor [exactly like the new Novarossi .46 you have] and sent it to Glenn Quarles......

Glenn sent that motor to Novarossi for them to look at...We thought this would be a great way for Novarossi to get a rear exhaust motor with very little cost.

We never heard back any comments,good or bad, from Novarossi about that turnaround motor sent to them....That motor is still in Italy...............

You can imagine my surprise today when I saw the photos you posted on IW of the new motor.......

First of all,we ain't bitchen....we are very happy Novarossi has chose to throw their hat in the ring and introduce new marine motors for the RC

boating community........This motor is a great addition to the Novarossi line of motors.....

I just wanted to go on record saying ,this motor design came from the old U.S. of A........not Italy........right out of the shop of David "sparky" Hall......

I just want the credit for this motor design to land where it should.......with David .... B)

If I am wrong about this Nova can come on IW and explain how they got this idea and maybe I will apologize [but I doubt it]....LOLOLOL..... :)

Rod with all due respect

I think you might be taking a bit away from the Work Aaron has done with Nova Rossi

this design of engine has been around for a very long time

I have seen very similar eninges in pictures of boats from guys Like Orlic and Truex

recentlly

All engine compays use each others idea's

Who first designed the Drum intake ? i think it was Moki

Aaron was the one who went out on a limb with this design and the whole Nova .46 idea in the first place

he did all the R&D and testing and eventually has been able to offer this

engine to the public and for that we should all thank him.

Nova Rossi are the Real Geniuses behind this

Its there knowhow that got this thing built as a prototype

and finally into production.

At the end of the day with out Aaron this thing would never have been built.

Greg
Greg,

If you read and understand my post I said I wasn't bitchin about Novarossi jumping into the turnaround motor business....in fact I said it is nice to have another

.45 motor added for the model boater to choose from......

Also I never took anything away from or critisized Aaron in any way..........

Again I say that I am very happy that Aaron did whatever he did to get this motor to market.........Kudos to Aaron and all he has done........

Now to your other comments.....If you are going to jump into this party then sit down,read what I said,understand what I said ,and know what you are talking about .......

This wasn't a discussion about a drum induction or who invented it....this was a discussion about taking a one piece crankcase with a wrap around exhaust and building

a "PTO drive" that converted that wrap around exhaust crankcase design to a over the flywheel exhaust outlet with a plug in drive system ......

Novarossi was not the genuis behind this design.......to the best of my knowledge Novarossi didn't even know this design approach existed prior to 4+ years ago.......

I said thet David had been building turnaround motors for more than 16 years I knew off....turns out he has been doing it for over 20 years....

How in the hell do you think Truex was introduced to the turnaround motor.....that was done by David Hall......

All I said was that Novarossi was introduced to this design by a turnaround motor sent to Glenn Quarles by David Hall some 4 years ago.....

Glenn sent that motor to Novarossi 4 years ago and to date it hasn't come back.......

Perdue was right there was crank pin problems with this design......we experienced these problems also.......Truex also experienced some of these crankpin problems ......

I really hope that Novarossi 's knowhow will have taken into account and solved these problems.......

LOL Rodney!...Everyone likes to be "First" but as you say yourself Rod, "There's nothing new under the sun". I can think of at least 4 production engines that were built the same way. Moki, Rossi 90, Skiff 90, Andre Special .40. Of these I have the last two. All have the full ball bearing supported drum/crank type system. All are more than 16 years old. :)

Nice looking engine, as usual, from Novarossi!

LOL Rodney!...Everyone likes to be "First" but as you say yourself Rod, "There's nothing new under the sun". I can think of at least 4 production engines that were built the same way. Moki, Rossi 90, Skiff 90, Andre Special .40. Of these I have the last two. All have the full ball bearing supported drum/crank type system. All are more than 16 years old. :)

I see I am having a problem getting people to understand what I wrote..........I must have done it wrong.....

Are you telling me the Rossi.90 and the Moki .90 had the "CRANKPIN" on the drum rotor...??????

The Rossi.90 and Moki .90 I owned both had the crankpin on the drive end [crankshaft] of the motor not on the drum valve......

I never mentioned the drum being mounted in ball bearings nor did I care for the purpose of this discussion.....

I see I am having a problem getting people to understand what I wrote..........I must have done it wrong.....

Are you telling me the Rossi.90 and the Moki .90 had the "CRANKPIN" on the drum rotor...??????

The Rossi.90 and Moki .90 I owned both had the crankpin on the drive end [crankshaft] of the motor not on the drum valve......

I never mentioned the drum being mounted in ball bearings nor did I care for the purpose of this discussion.....
Oh, I didn't realize the drive pin on the drum/crank was the secret trick part. So it's really more like an outboard with a long PTO that has the flywheel on it.

Aaron and Glenn, outstanding job on the NovaRossi .46, both versions of it. It's awesome to have such a broad selection of high quality engines for the first time in years.

Now....... get off of IW and get back to work because we need some NovaRossi .90s. Imagine twin Nova big blocks screaming around the pond. :eek: :lol:

Nitro rules B)

-Mitch

Oh, I didn't realize the drive pin on the drum/crank was the secret trick part. So it's really more like an outboard with a long PTO that has the flywheel on it.
Yea that was the idea that was sent to NR.........That enabled them to take their standard motor and plug a PTO with a flywheel into where the back plate lives and that turns exhaust around on the motor like a MAC 21......[they would also have to reverse crank]

It really wasn't secret or trick it was only something David had been doing for over 16 years that I knew of......

Pressed together. So which is the Cranckshaft, which is the Driver, which is the Driven?

Who knows!...but it's someone's idea that has been around for a long time.

DSCF7298.JPG

Latest posts

Back