Newcomer into the world of Riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I just bought my first rigger from Steve Murphy in McLean, VA. It is a Roadrunner 60 with a Picco 67.

Up to now I have been running modified Miss Vegas's (Stock OS 18, Modified OS 18, and OS 18 TZ) and have some good luck out here in the west (TX, OK, KS) with several IMPBA trophies but the fastest MOD is right at 45mph.

I am working on a Sport Hydro 20 with a CMB Valvola which should be a little faster BUT I can tell you I am just a little intimidated by this MUCH faster rigger. I've watched them run at several races and can't wait but would like suggestions on how to safely get started.

- Have someone check it out first?

- Have an experienced rigger driver run it first?

- Run it sloppy rich?

- Limit the throttle to 1/2 or 3/4 (I use a programmable Airtronics M8)?

- ??

I do know enough to run on the far outside when I get to the point of racing with others BUT what about before then?

I feel a little like when I first slipped behind the wheel of a powerful sports car!

First strap some 2x4's to your legs to help with the shaking :lol: only kidding. If you can have someone check the boat do it. I personally would not let anyone else run my boat, if something went wrong I want to be at the wheel. The best is to test alone and just keep turning laps. Run it slightly rich, but not blubbery. Riggers turn better at speed. Have fun and good luck. You will love the adreniall rush. Ray B) B) B)

I just bought my first rigger from Steve Murphy in McLean, VA. It is a Roadrunner 60 with a Picco 67.
Up to now I have been running modified Miss Vegas's (Stock OS 18, Modified OS 18, and OS 18 TZ) and have some good luck out here in the west (TX, OK, KS) with several IMPBA trophies but the fastest MOD is right at 45mph.

I am working on a Sport Hydro 20 with a CMB Valvola which should be a little faster BUT I can tell you I am just a little intimidated by this MUCH faster rigger. I've watched them run at several races and can't wait but would like suggestions on how to safely get started.

- Have someone check it out first?

- Have an experienced rigger driver run it first?

- Run it sloppy rich?

- Limit the throttle to 1/2 or 3/4 (I use a programmable Airtronics M8)?

- ??

I do know enough to run on the far outside when I get to the point of racing with others BUT what about before then?

I feel a little like when I first slipped behind the wheel of a powerful sports car!

hi clint , all as i can say is hold on mate,, the speed of a c hydro is awsome,, what i would do is get someone in your club that is a good rigger racer to go over the boat,, then run the rigger with them watching you so they can give you some tips on driving it,, then practice driving it until you feel confident behind the wheel of this rigger and also it doent hurt to practice with another rigger running around with you so you get confident with other riggers racing near you,, ,, the one thing i learnt clint is that you have to get your mind and hand movments working to the same speed the rigger is going , if that makes sense,, hope this helps mate,, jase from australia,,

I can only agree with jason and get yourself an experienced pitman who has raced riggers himself as he will be worht his weight in gold

Clint, The boys are right, in was late I didn't make myself clear. Alone on the water at first, with a good pitman is worth it's weight in gold. One thing is consentrate on where you want to go and not on dead boats or anything else. Fix your eyes on a dead boat and your hands will naturally drive you right into it. Consentrate on where you want to go and trust your pitman when you start racing. Don't let a mishap stop you from enjoying the hobby, it's happened to all of us. Most drivers know to keep there boats unscatched they keep them on the mantel. It's all a part of racing. Enjoy Ray B) B) B)

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe I have a local rigger expert that is going to check it out for me!

Also, Is a 12 volt starter going to be enough to start a Picco 67 or do I need to invest in a 24 volt starter?

Try your 12 volt system first, you may have to loosen plug slightly. Start boat, tighten plug and run. If that don't work use two batteries in series for 24 volts. You don't need a 24 volt starter. Ray B) B)

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe I have a local rigger expert that is going to check it out for me!
Also, Is a 12 volt starter going to be enough to start a Picco 67 or do I need to invest in a 24 volt starter?
Who is the local "rigger expert" you are referring to?

If you like you could come to the N.T.M.P.B.A.'s pond in Ft. Worth next weekend and try it out. While we are avid rigger pilots we are far from experts.

Give me a shout and we can work out some details.

Regards,

-Buck-

If you like you could come to the N.T.M.P.B.A.'s pond in Ft. Worth next weekend and try it out. While we are avid rigger pilots we are far from experts.

Regards,

-Buck-
Yo Buck, I believe he is gonna hook up with Will G. as they are about 30 miles apart from what Clint told me, you should join in. I figure between between the 2 of you that you guys will have him soiling his britches the first time he pulls the trigger WFO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clint,

At first,the boat will seem to get to the end before you do, run a short course. ;)

Someone needs to bring a camera, the expression on his face when he squeezes the throttle for the 1st time will be priceless. :) :D :lol: :lol:

From a Vegas to a C Hydro is just a little bit if a jump,just a little.

Clint, those guys down there will steer you right. Just listen to them.

So,just hang on and get all the water time you can.

WELCOME to the world of riggers.What a Rush!

And I like Rays idea with the 2X4s. :lol: :lol: Good one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Regards,

-Buck-
Yo Buck, I believe he is gonna hook up with Will G. as they are about 30 miles apart from what Clint told me, you should join in. I figure between between the 2 of you that you guys will have him soiling his britches the first time he pulls the trigger WFO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In addition to Will G. and Buck, I also had Bob Finn who voluntered to check out the boat! I love this hobby - so much help from very knowledgable racers. By the way no one categorized themselves as 'experts' (although they are).

As far as soiling my britches - I will bring a change. :unsure:

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Clint, At first,the boat will seem to get to the end before you do, run a short course. ;)

Someone needs to bring a camera, the expression on his face when he squeezes the throttle for the 1st time will be priceless. :) :D :lol: :lol:

From a Vegas to a C Hydro is just a little bit if a jump,just a little.

Clint, those guys down there will steer you right. Just listen to them.

So,just hang on and get all the water time you can.

WELCOME to the world of riggers.What a Rush!

And I like Rays idea with the 2X4s. :lol: :lol: Good one!
My fastest Vegas is 45mph (GPS) top speed. What should I expect from this 11cc Hydro?

Last edited:
My fastest Vegas is 45mph (GPS) top speed. What should I expect from this C Hydro?

Hard to say. Mine is slow and I have been told to expect mid 70's out of it. I know some of the fellas in this post see much faster speeds.

Well, I took it to the pond to try it out ... but I BLEW THE ENGINE! :(

Luckily, the engine was in my van.

BlownEngine.jpg

Oh well, I called a wrecker.

I also was going to get some guidance from a local racer (will G.) but we missed connections since he was returning from out-of-town and I was running late. I just decided I would test the rigger another day (when my luck would be better).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back