New to hobby---Need some advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigriggr

I have an old JVS 40" catamaran w/.60 OPS, 457 prop and a quiet barrel pipe. Any and all advice will very much be appreciated.

I'm running 25% Omega, that's probably my first mistake right? Should I get this boat running good on this % then switch to something higher? There is 45% Byron 16% oil sold locally.

No matter if the high end mixture is set at 1 1/4 turns out, or 2 turns out it still seems to stall out about 3/4 to full throttle after a few laps. And at these settings the fuel is pouring out the end of the pipe when I start the engine. (The carb only has high end adjustment though) Never messed with the pipe yet, it's set at 11" 1/4, does this sound close to where this needs to be? When you think it reached it's full throttle potential and your just about to turn three, all of a sudden the engine cleans right out crisp and the front sponsons come out of the water and away she goes. Don't know if that's the high end of the fuel mixture or the pipe coming in. But like I said, it's usually at the end of the straight before this happens.

While I'm trying to get the bugs out of this Cat, I have a SGX 67 coming shortly. Don't know why I'm jumping in head first like this but that's water under the bridge now. But a question on this issue. Could I run that 45%-16% Byron I mentioned earlier or does that Mac engine need/want 60%-20% Red Max from FHS ?

Futaba 3pm pro (synthesized)---Should I spend more green stamps for something better or is this radio pretty descent?

Again--All your knowledge would be appreciated,

Bill

I would prefer to run the 45% Byron than the 25% Omega if thats the only choices you have, but it looks like you also have the choice to go with the Red Max, if so, thats a very good fuel. As for how high of Nitro you should use? all depends what you want to do, 40% is a good number.

For the Pipe length, may be try at 10" 3/4. The way you explain it sounds it is still to rich but the problem could be your LSN , it could be set to rich.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get some higher nitro for starters. And try sliding the pipe to see if that helps matters.

Thanks Dan, Appreciate it

Bill

.....The way you explain it sounds it is still to rich but the problem could be your LSN , it could be set to rich.
Dan
Dan, Bill said his engine only has a high speed needle. If its anything like my stock OPS .65 and .67 carbs, then it only has the one, big HS needle. I've had much, much difficulty getting these engines to run properly through the years :( .

Back