New Head Button Machine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,

Nice work! Is the next project the gap bed lathe? Or maybe one of the really monster LeBlond or Monarch's? Maybe one like we had at Clarage Fan Corp. that turned the 36 inch dia. by 22 ft long shafts on the inducted draft fans for the Tennessee Valley Authority back in the 60's. The operator sat in a chair on the carriage and it took 8 hours to make a cut.

John

Mark

I think you might need a bigger one to do 101 CMB head buttons -- lol
default_wink.png

Hi Mark,

Nice work! Is the next project the gap bed lathe? Or maybe one of the really monster LeBlond or Monarch's? Maybe one like we had at Clarage Fan Corp. that turned the 36 inch dia. by 22 ft long shafts on the inducted draft fans for the Tennessee Valley Authority back in the 60's. The operator sat in a chair on the carriage and it took 8 hours to make a cut.

John
Wow !!

Very nice work on a huge project Mark. I really like that second pic. How many guys can say they have a 30hp vertical metal lathe that has their own name on the name plate, BULLARD!!!! Thanks for sharing.

This machine is one of many I have in my shop. It will be use for repairing the bearing bores of electric motor end frames. My smallest lathe is a 13" Clausing. The next is a 17" Clausing. Next to that is a 22" Broadbend Schofield that has a gap that allows it to go to 32" swing. And the biggest I have is a 44" Niles.

Mark that is exactly what I used the 43" model on. Boring and repairing the end bells on the large stationary generators that all branches of the service used. Quality control got involved when the workload transferred to UT and bores were air gauged at plus or minus .0002" The old machine was up to the task- without a DRO. The only problem was that it scared the hell out of everyone else .

Mark,

I just picked up a nice Hardinge collet chuck and some nice 5c collets for my Turn-Pro lathe on eBay!!!...cheap...
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark I wonder that Are you plan to make project custom R/C Marine size engines and custom hardware kit ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the piston and liner you can make the button for.

Sulzer 12cyl 46,000hp 120 Max RPM

The photo only shows the piston crown. The skirt bolts on and is another 5 feet in length.

Chris

453.JPG

Back