namba 7.5 stock motors

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Lennard is talking about is the pure stock class that required a complete unit and box stock power head. Good idea that work well for a time. But, no one wants to run stock anything anymore. Even if the complete engines were still being made it would be a dying class, just for that reason.

Super Sport or "outlaw" is a great idea. I have seen internally modded .21 outboards with no tuned pipe run as fast as mod boats. I see no problem with a class that allows any power head, any lower and no pipe.

The problem with the outboards now is the cost. At the risk of ruffling feathers, upwards of $500 for a tunnel hull does not help. That takes the "hobby" out of it real quick. There were a lot more racers as well as non racers running outboards when the engines were $100 and a boat kit was $50. Those days are gone. Hate to say it but it is a fact.....when the tuned pipes came out for outboards that put them into a new performance level. Up until then they were the slower, door slammer hobby class of RC boats.
Mark, I am working on the tunnel hull part. I have fiberglass 20 Lynxs in stock for $325 and Leecrafts for the 40 and 60 class for $360 and these are RTR, ready to rig so the $500 tunnel days are over...
default_smile.png

2018 Tower catalog lists the O.S. 21 XM VII Marine for $449.99, ad at least $150 for a decent radio and servos, and you're looking at $725 to enter NAMBA's A OPC tunnel class and you still don't have a starter, fuel, equipment. So, you are correct,"the $500 tunnel days are over."
default_sad.png

JD
Or you could buy a Zenoah for less than $200 with a can muffler, a Zip Kits tunnel kit for $160, the above radio and accessories and still be around the cost of the OS outboard alone. All that's missing is the lower. The insane unit is around $500, and the Lawless is around $400. Most gas tunnels use home made versions of the Insane style lower. The best thing is no special fuel or other accessories. It would be pull start like a a real outboard. Gas engines in other stock gas classes are proving a low cost entry into model boats. The same comparison can be made for the P limited electric tunnels at probably an even lower cost.

Lohring Miller

I think the original reasoning for a stock outboard class was cost and close competition, Without competitors needing to modify engines and buy the latest and greatest carb, pipe, and lower. In todays market there are still plenty of pre owned K&B 45's that do well in the outlaw format requiring a simple non reflective chamber (can) muffler. The other benefit is reliability as you don't turn as high of rpm's and a wider easier tuning ban. As was stated your "stocker" qualifies for the mod class giving you options.

Now reality.

IMPBA has had no interest in adding another outboard class, and like recognizing an actual FE P "limited" class, puts the ball in local clubs courts to make local rules. Highly unlikely you will see NAMBA adopt any rule change or modification here with only a few running B OPC at their Nationals. Again dead horse and class. Without a national rule structure it's hard to grow numbers outside local clubs.

Funny how Gas has tunnels, monos, cats, hydro's, sport hydro's, Crackerbox, Jersy speed skiff, Superboats. They have them in the books and they grow.

Mic

IMPBA stock (Sport 21) outboard class was setup for the internats as a top driver level bragging rights class. No less.. no more.

The fact that it "might" be cheaper was not the driving force.

It was raced for the first time at the internats was 1997.. NY.. I think... and the winners 8907 was protested. I wrote out the "engine claim" rule back in the early 2000s. (cannot remember what year that was)

Been a VERY strong class for many years!.. thanks to the guys that had the for site to see the classes potential.

I have learned a TON about boat setup from this class. I have raced the 40 outlaw class and it two was a great class.

Grim

Anytime you buy a pricy part or engine from Tower its a no brainer to go to top of page and get a coupon. Spend 400 get 40 off spend 500 get 50 off

Anytime you buy a pricy part or engine from Tower its a no brainer to go to top of page and get a coupon. Spend 400 get 40 off spend 500 get 50 off
Thats true Mike but even with their discounting, their prices are higher these days. I have a coupe of great suppliers that can get OS stuff to me at a price that allows me to beat Towers prices even with their discounts. Check out the prices on my website and you will see.

1990... average income was 20,172... (K+B was 120 bucks)

I dont know.. I call BS..I had to save for a K+B in the day and I have to save for an OS today...

We have our heads in our SUPER CHEAP PHONES.. I can not think of a cheaper form of entertainment.. and its right in front of me.

The hobby is a LEISURE activity and the cell phone (technology) has interrupted that. TV, Video game play and now CELL PHONES.. we have big competition!

Grim
Very true Grim. The prices have increased with inflation for sure. Still less that the latest iPhone and a lot more fun...
default_wink.png

Back