Mythbusting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

At the recent "Battle of the Borders" held here in Australia, Bryan Ruttley (ozbryan) ran a time equal to the fastest recorded run in a 3.5cc hydro race at a sanctioned event which was 65 seconds for the 5 lap 1500m AMPBA course. There were some pretty remarkable things about this run that shatter a few myths about 21 powered outriggers. What's more, on the day we saw 49 degree C (120F) on thermometers in the pit area - it was rediculously hot. The only boat to run a faster heat time for the whole event was a twin 91 RR extreme.

Ok - down to details.

Hull - Kit Firefighter 21

Engine - Novarossi 7M (thats right, not a PLUS, not an RX21SM2 etc - the cheapy 7 port from Ozspec, only mod was inlet timing and Geraghty carb.)

Pipe - Salisbury NR21OB pipe - thats right, a curved muffled OUTBOARD PIPE!

fuel - 50% nitro, 20% KL100 - too much oil, not enough nitro I hear you all say........

Turnfin - BIG, like a 45 size fin, and T/E of fin not set where people say it should be......

prop - KRE4630 (Ozspec 1450 was faster but he didn't get a clean run on that prop)

Plug - K&B 1L, slightly pulled.

The scary thing is he ran wider on the last two laps and his lap times dropped by over a second on those two laps, so it could have gone even faster.

Well done Bryan, and also to Ken Retallick who built the boat and sold it to Bryan far too cheap!

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have seen it Tom, It was beautiful to watch.

The two fastest heat times at big events for 21 riggers in Oz are both Novarossi powered firefighter kits. "Nitrocrazed" ran the same time as Bryan but with a PLUS last year.

FF21's got 2nd and 3rd at the event just gone. The winner was a Taipan who finished all his heats and drove exceptionally well. I can't say the same for my performance :(

At the recent "Battle of the Borders" held here in Australia, Bryan Ruttley (ozbryan) ran a time equal to the fastest recorded run in a 3.5cc hydro race at a sanctioned event which was 65 seconds for the 5 lap 1500m AMPBA course.
Surely he will have to give some thanks to his excellent "pit *****" on that run.... LOL :p

Yes big thanks to Murph for being my biatch for the weekend! :lol:

Thanks for the post Tim, couldnt have done any of it with out your help in getting it up to speed and teachn me how to drive the thing also!

The 1450 was WAY quicker but i didnt get a good time due to the dead boat in the back straight actually i hit a buoy the race before trying to pass for the WIN!!!

Heres a picture of the boat for you guys ;)

rigger.jpg

Its nice to see the 21 riggers going so fast these days. I will be running the OB pipe on my rigger in March.

Tom, best rigger i have ever had and so easy to build. Its a shame that i sold mine to Ian!

Ian sorry I missed you call last night been flat out getting stock done at work, I have to leave for mildura speedway tonight and am in hospital soon after that so I will catch up with everyone around the 19th of feb!

cheers n beers

Dave

That race was an awesome sight! Well done Bryan!!

Im sure the price has increased considerably if i want to buy it back :p

Tim, so if i keep building boats with so many 'wrong things' its bound to turn out right? hahaha :D

Best of luck with the Op Dave. Make sure you take it easy afterwards, OK?

will do Tim

Got my oldest boy workin with me till march! Hes been here since december and done the hard yards for me. But he goes back to uni in March. So recovery needs to be quick for me. :blink:

21 rigger is ready to hit the water and only needs the clear coat now. Its the Orlic C/F rigger and nova of course! :ph34r:

chat soonish

Dave

Hey Tim

any idea what this stuff is in my sig on the side??

Club Racer

Group: Members

Member No.: 473

Warn: (0%) ----- ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Yep - if you have been a naughty boy and Tom or other mod's have to bring you back into line - the "warn" won't be on 0%.

Back