another happy jae .21 owner

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbarn

FINALLY made it to the pond to do some test & tune with my jae .21. i ran it at our d-12 race in greensboro 2 weeks ago for the first time. literally finished assembling the boat at the pond friday afternoon. set it up exactly to zippkits instructions. i had never even started the engine, picked up the prop from jimmy johnson that morning on the way down to the race. fired it up, threw it in with a fat needle, the boat took right off, hit the pipe & ran straight & true as an arrow!! i built the boat right by the instructions, using all zippkits hardware. i am running a cmb LS evo2 ( black case) engine set up by jimmy johnson. he asked me what i wanted & i replied that i want a fast, driveable engine, NOT an off & on switch type of powerplant. he also did a 1450 prop for me. weight comes in at 4 lbs. 1 oz. complete, less fuel. i ran 6 laps to check fuel consumption friday, i am running the sullivan ss 8 tank & had about 2 oz. left after the 6 laps. i was happy enough with the results that i put it up until saturday for the races. last year i ran a sundowner ob rigger with a cmb .21 TT/gold head set up by rod geraghty. that boat ran low 60's, but was very inconsistent, due to having to be set up on the ragged edge to be competitive (short pipe, big prop & engine/lower way high). i did not want to have that type set up again. all i can say is the whole jae team has hit a home run!! this in a very inexpensive, easy boat to build & end up with a rigger that will compete with the best out there, imho. so far, it has exhibited NO bad habits. never fails to launch, turns on a dime & hands back .07 cents change. takes some left turn without waving the sponson at you & just plain hauls the mail. if my sundowner ran low 60's, this boat seems like it's close to 70. no radar or timing to prove it, but it is MUCH faster than last years boat, without the reliability factor. all of this is, in no small part due to jimmy's fantastic engine & prop work. the boat will come all the way off plane, & get right back up with no issues at all. i am running an andy brown billet pipe & 65/18 wildcat fuel. i started with the pipe at 8 1/4" & a very rich needle to get going. saturday evening after the day's racing, i cut the header & pulled the pipe in the 8" & went a little leaner. still had a shiny plug, just barely starting to pull the element. today i cut some more & am at 7 7/8", went a little leaner yet. it will still throttle all the way off plane & get back up, & seems (to me at least) to be faster still. pulling the last 2 coils out just past the face of the plug, just starting to lose the shine & show some slight hazing, but not frosted or dull. i wish i had more time today, i think i can get the pipe down to 7 3/4" B) . still pulls jimmy's 1450 easily, the prop is 48 mm diameter, 3.6 (if i remember right) cup. i can say nothing but good things about this boat & engine/prop combo, & haven't really scratched the surface in tuning yet. still have some other pipes & props to test. i would like to thank all the folks that worked on designing, testing & producing the jae riggers, & especially jimmy johnson/rcracer158 for his excellent engine & prop work. all of you have made this way easier & more enjoyable than i ever imagined it would be. i have a feeling it's gonna be a fun season :D :ph34r: . like mikey said, jae .21, fun, fun, fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrin.gif
Do I sense a fire sale coming on K&B powered tunnels?
cool.gif
Robin's been bit by the hydro bug.

not even a slight chance, larry :rolleyes: . i will always be a tunnelhead. got bit by that bug in full scale racing back in the late 60's, think switzercraft, powercat, magnum missle & mccall..... i've been playing with riggers for a few years, this one is just so much easier & faster than any other i have had, i had to give kudos to everyone involved.

Robin,

Pipe can go to 7.5" very easily.

Then try more propeller.

You are just getting started.

They are A GREAT BOAT.

Enjoy,

Mark Sholund

not even a slight chance, larry :rolleyes: . i will always be a tunnelhead. got bit by that bug in full scale racing back in the late 60's, think switzercraft, powercat, magnum missle & mccall..... i've been playing with riggers for a few years, this one is just so much easier & faster than any other i have had, i had to give kudos to everyone involved.
Just funnin' with ya' Robin. I still have a few tunnels too, they just mostly sit on the shelf collecting dust because the last few years in this part of the country the wind seems to want to blow 20+ mph most of the summer. I just had 5 days off from work and the wind was howling every day...Even too rough for hydros. Sunday is supposed to be calm and sunny for the TCMBC point race #2. Mike Z and Big B are supposed to be in town. Should be a blast for all that can attend. Those JAE's are a great boat, Enjoy.

Larry

I took alot of design cues from the JAE boats and built them into mine and it really improved the launching and turning... It's a very good design for sure... wish I could find a place to run..

larry, i'm running the 21 SS. have a few others to try: ab billet 21 ST, original irwin "S", ssp td21h, & a little, light cf pipe that isn't manufactured, seems to have been a small custom run, mark sholund knows more than i do about it. between this boat, a new vision 20 tunnel i'm building & a new (to me) speedmaster 20 mono, i need some more fuel :p ..... lots of pond time in my future ;) .

larry, i'm running the 21 SS. have a few others to try: ab billet 21 ST, original irwin "S", ssp td21h, & a little, light cf pipe that isn't manufactured, seems to have been a small custom run, mark sholund knows more than i do about it. between this boat, a new vision 20 tunnel i'm building & a new (to me) speedmaster 20 mono, i need some more fuel :p ..... lots of pond time in my future ;) .
Robin,

I have had good results with the billet RX, and ST. I haven't had a chance to run my SS, or XT yet. The Irwin/Cooper/Wood S pipe works very well with the right setup, and for an open nitro pipe its quieter than some muffled pipes. I have 4 .45 engines to break in before the Nitro Nats in August, and the weather just started turning nice around here this weekend.

thanx for sharing your experiences with those pipes, larry ;) . i'll keep ya posted on how my testing goes. hope to head back out this thursday, i have some headers cut & mounts made, so pipe swaps should be quick & easy.

Robin,

You never mentioned how you finished in the d12 race in Greensboro..... ;)

time to update my progress with this boat. i've changed pipes since my last post. went from the ab billet ss pipe to the ab billet st, a smaller, shorter pipe. also pitched the prop up a bit (actually jimmy johnson did the prop work B) ). at our last d-12 race in centerville, the boat ran very well & was one of the fastest riggers in the .21 class. i was guessing low 70's, a few others agreed, but still just a guesstimate, no timing or radar. won 2 heats, ran out of fuel in turn 4 - last lap in another & a bouy jumped out in front of me in heat #4 :rolleyes: . the hollow cf boom tubes did their job, absolutely no damage to the tub or sponson, just a simple tube replacement to repair the boat. i was running a sullivan ss-8 tank, have since gotten a 9.3 oz. tank from walt barney, to solve the fuel quantity issue. the boat still continues to make gains with every change, haven't backed up, YET....... jimmy had just pitched the prop up to 3.75 from 3.6, & i hit the bouy, so no results there. went out testing a week later, & a game warden showed up at the pond. he asked how fast was i going, told him i didn't know for sure. he pulled his laser gun out & offered to check it. running straight at & away from him, he consistently showed 72 to 74 mph. went to the pond last thursday to test some more, weather was MISERABLE!! 103 & humidity ranging 93 to 96%, not a good day to make power. altitude about 700', not much, but in this heat it do matter some. even with all the changes i have listed, the engine has never really had that "happy" sound. i had doubts about it even pulling more prop & a shorter pipe in this weather. 48.5 diameter 1450 at 3.75 with the small billet pipe down to 7 7/16" sounded like i was asking a lot. after blowing up my cmb greenie on my vision tunnel, breaking the flex shaft in the wife's .40 crackerbox & having my .21 mono not pull much prop in the heat, & me just dripping sweat, i wasn't REAL excited :rolleyes: :lol: . threw the jae in, it sagged ever so slightly (first time ever), & took off. hit the pipe, & absolutely sang. no slight burble from not cleaning out, just sweet music. still accelerated thru the turns, & stayed fast pulling out of them. i was on a 5 to 6 acre pond, & felt cramped :eek: . if it was running low to mid 70's before, i'm thinking upper 70's now. i use the same pond for all my testing, this time it felt MUCH smaller :p . boat would still get off the pipe & off plane & get back up. not as easily as before, took about a straightaway & some rudder wiggling. i am amazed at how well it ran, considering the air i had to run in. can't wait for some cooler weather, i want an 80 mph heat racer :ph34r: . i can't say this enough, BUT if you want a good, inexpensive rigger, get a jae. build it EXACTLY as the instructions say!! then get jimmy johnson/rcracer158 to set up your engine & prop for you. again, THANX to joe & jimmy for making it easy to have so much fun with this boat. one more district race for me to get used to the speed & handling, then the fall nats. better air & (hopefully :p ) a better driver by the time c-town rolls around.

Sounds like you need to move to Western Washington to do your testing. We've been in the 60s almost all summer with low humidity. Today was the first time we've gotten into the 80s all summer :p

Back