My first scratch build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kirkland

As I am just starting out I have posted a few pictures of my first scratch build in my gallery. Though I have a fair amount of skill shaping and working with fiberglass I have never built a boat. I decided to scale down a drawing of a Flats boat I designed in order to see if my theories would work. The plug is 45" long and 15" wide semi tri hull. Any input from others is appreciated.

100_0536.JPG

100_0384.JPG

100_0477.JPG

100_0446.JPG

As I am just starting out I have posted a few pictures of my first scratch build in my gallery. Though I have a fair amount of skill shaping and working with fiberglass I have never built a boat. I decided to scale down a drawing of a Flats boat I designed in order to see if my theories would work. The plug is 45" long and 15" wide semi tri hull. Any input from others is appreciated.
You have more guts than me. I can't seem to get a little fiberglass right, make a mess of me and everything around me. If I did a boat they probably find me dried in a cocoon of it.. Looks cool can't wait to see it finished.

Just curious....what did you skin the plug with? Was it plywood or did you fill the frames with foam and shape it?

I'd like to see the finished boat.

I'll offer up some advice......when you get the shape you want, get the surface clean but don't worry about it being scratch free perfect. Get some Dura-Tec surfacing primer and spray on a nice hi build but not sagging coat. Let it set 48 hours and then block sand the plug with wet sandpaper. If any flaws show through sand the whole thing until the primer is flat and has no orange peel. Shoot it again and block down again. Dura-Tec will wet sand to a near mirror finish once you get to about 600 grit. But don't stop there, go up to 1000 grit. Polish with with 3M Finesse-It 2 polishing compound, it will take out 1000 grit scratches. Wash with soap and water and you are ready for the mold release system you are going to use. I did it the hard way before discovering Dura-Tec. You won't find another surfacing primer that will sand so easy yet shine so good.

I'll offer up some advice......when you get the shape you want, get the surface clean but don't worry about it being scratch free perfect. Get some Dura-Tec surfacing primer and spray on a nice hi build but not sagging coat. Let it set 48 hours and then block sand the plug with wet sandpaper. If any flaws show through sand the whole thing until the primer is flat and has no orange peel. Shoot it again and block down again. Dura-Tec will wet sand to a near mirror finish once you get to about 600 grit. But don't stop there, go up to 1000 grit. Polish with with 3M Finesse-It 2 polishing compound, it will take out 1000 grit scratches. Wash with soap and water and you are ready for the mold release system you are going to use. I did it the hard way before discovering Dura-Tec. You won't find another surfacing primer that will sand so easy yet shine so good.

I have to laugh because I just got done spraying the plug with "dura-tec" I was going to post some new pics but I'm not sure how to ADD them to this post. Thank you for the advice and I'm glad I'm on the same page as someone. By the way I think it is comming out nice.

100_0581.JPG

100_0582.JPG

100_0572.JPG

100_0591.JPG

I framed out the plywood as seen in the photo then I stretched and tacked fiberglass cloth across the ribs then a couple layers of glass over AND under that for strength then bondo and Dura-tec primer. I will then gel-kote and buff and wax the PLUG to make a mold from it.

You have more guts than me. I can't seem to get a little fiberglass right, make a mess of me and everything around me. If I did a boat they probably find me dried in a cocoon of it.. Looks cool can't wait to see it finished.
100_0588.JPG

Well here goes the deck it will have a removable center for access complete with center console and cooler seat. There will also be a poling platform in the back that will fold up for motor starting. I am considering putting an inboard gas engine in the second one...... What do ya'll think?

100_0593.JPG

100_0594.JPG

100_0595.JPG

100_0597.JPG

100_0599.JPG

good job what engine you going to put in it ??
I have a K&B 7.5 for starters, I will probably try a couple different set ups, maybe an inboard, maybe a sub surface steerable drive. I will have the molds so I can try as many options as money will allow. Thanks for the compliment! I hope she floats lol.

Latest posts

Back