my 1/4 Scale Tunnel Video

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys

Craig when i decided to build one of these big Tunnys it was not for the purpose of racing.

It was about clearing the pond :lol:

I would not have thought that it may become a racing class,

IMO these things are 48" + long and need some fair dinkim power to get them around the pond,i think for these to look serious and get up on the rear sponson and go down the pond on the edge like the real ones they need some good HP to do justice to these boats,

getting them up on the limit like the real ones is the target.

I think with the right setup and a stock 26 i would be pretty competitive in open ;)

but a modded engine is somewhere in the Shed :eek:

when there is enough 1/4 tunnels running around here in OZ then we can look at a class

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

Craig when i decided to build one of these big Tunnys it was not for the purpose of racing.

IMO these things are 48" + long and need some fair dinkim power to get them around the pond,i think for these to look serious and get up on the rear sponson and go down the pond on the edge like the real ones they need some good HP to do justice to these boats,

I think with the right setup and a stock 26 i would be pretty competitive in open ;)

when there is enough 1/4 tunnels running around here in OZ then we can look at a class

Greg
Gmorty type tunny with G230

Team JASPP tunny with the Quickdraw!

one for every occasion

Hi all

Looking to get back into the hobby and reading your posts on gas 1/4 scale tunnels.

I have a DPI copy on the shelf with a K&B 13cc that I never got to run very well and got frustrated with.

A gas outboard apeals alot more to me as i work with small 2 stroke engines and find them easy to tune

and use. How do these engines compare on that front? (must be easier than nitro) Does anyone sell a complete engine lower and pipe set up? and if so what sort of cost are we looking at? I am in New Zealand so mabey some of you ofer the ditch can help. :D

Any info would be helpfull and mabey I can get it down of the shelf and start enjoying it!! :lol:

Cheers Shane

COOL !

I noticed on one shot theres no stumble blocks but it looks like a rail on the inside of the sponsons. Does this do the same as stumble blocks , does it hook at all in the corners?

Ed

possible future project

Hi Guys

Greg
Hello Greg,

I'l try and post up some video in the next day or so of a 1/4 Scale Outboard Tunnel that I used to race here in Oz some ten years ago, I think the boat still holds the record for X Outboard 2 Lap @62kph.

I made it from near genuine Burgess F1 plans, so it had full tunnel choke under it, hence it liked to blow over at high speed. The hull was ply, the cockpit, rear cowl, and Mercury Engine Cowl was all carbon fibre.

In the video it was running a dead stock .82 K&B, I later ran a 1 Cube K&B on it.

The boat was very scale like, I had mirrors, scale lifting hooks, drop down centre pod under the boat, scale On/Off switch etc. I don't know the whereabouts of the boat now, I swapped it for an 1/8" Scale hydro about 8 years ago.

It was a great challenge and fun to run this boat hard, some of the older Aussies will remember it, it was painted in Interstate Batteries colour scheme.

Todd Lewis.

Hey Todd,

I think I remember that boat of yours - did you run it at Cables Waterski Park one year? I I've killed a lot of brain cells since then :lol: :lol:

Winksy said to me at the HV champs he thought Greg's boat was your hull.

Tim

OK! I am in love!

I have a nice fully modded 23pum that I have been wondering what to do with. Are these hulls and outboard units home made?

I hope one of you will have one at Orlando so I can see one up close.

Cheers!

Howard

Hello Greg,

I'l try and post up some video in the next day or so of a 1/4 Scale Outboard Tunnel that I used to race here in Oz some ten years ago, I think the boat still holds the record for X Outboard 2 Lap @62kph.

I made it from near genuine Burgess F1 plans, so it had full tunnel choke under it, hence it liked to blow over at high speed. The hull was ply, the cockpit, rear cowl, and Mercury Engine Cowl was all carbon fibre.

In the video it was running a dead stock .82 K&B, I later ran a 1 Cube K&B on it.

The boat was very scale like, I had mirrors, scale lifting hooks, drop down centre pod under the boat, scale On/Off switch etc. I don't know the whereabouts of the boat now, I swapped it for an 1/8" Scale hydro about 8 years ago.

It was a great challenge and fun to run this boat hard, some of the older Aussies will remember it, it was painted in Interstate Batteries colour scheme.

Todd Lewis.
Good to see that "Tunnel-boat-Todd" is still alive and kicking.

Your boat looked alright but you made ours and it looked like frankenstein. The rounded cowling on our was very different and the twin 1 cube outboards on the rear made it a real animal. Pity the thing wouldn't go in a straight line though.

I also thought Gregs boat looked very similar to your old Burgess hull at the HV Champs.

Heres a picture of Todd's old boat;-

Interstate Batteries Outboard

!!!!!TUNNAL -BOAT-TOAD!!!!!!!!!!!

IS ALIVE.......

how are you Tod, its been years, thinking about getting back

into the hobby.

regards Aaron :D

!!!!!TUNNAL -BOAT-TOAD!!!!!!!!!!!

IS ALIVE.......

how are you Tod, its been years, thinking about getting back

into the hobby.

regards Aaron :D
Hi Aaron, I'm good. The last time I saw you was at Melbourne Auto Expo 4 years ago.

I been meaning to get back into boat racing for 5 years now, work and 4 kids make it

difficult time wise.

Here's a link to some video Grub took at Oran Park (when it still had water). It's not as fast as

Greg's boat, but it only had a stock .82 with no pipe, weighed about 13 pounds from memory.

Video is 4.8meg.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslmqf3/dyno_vids/RC_boat1.wmv

Hey Todd

Vid looks great,

seeing yours all painted up, ill have to get some paint on mine soon,

going to run mine this weekend again with stumble blocks and less weight so it will be interesting

will try a few props and hopefully try and get some better video if possible.

Greg

Watching this tread with lots of intrest.

What i am after is a tunnel to suit a new 13cc outboard :unsure:

I think a 48inch hull would be to big.

I would like something around 40inches.

Is there anyone in Australia that might have one they want to sell??????

Thanks Jason

Hi All
For those who may be interested here is the link to the Video Clip of my 1/4 scale tunnel

(video could be slower if not using broadband connection)

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/gmorty/