Mono rudder placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lake S.P.O.R.T.

Setting up a mono, Microburst 20. Calls for the rudder leading edge to be the same distance from transom as leading edge of prop. Is this pretty much a standard spec. with all monos? Any bad things happen if you put the rudder further forward or back?

Thanks,

Mark

Several years back I built up a couple of AC monos. There was a reference in the setup instructions on forward/backward rudder placement. If I remember right, they suggested making a bracket enabling such adjustment, and the determining factor was how the hull tracked in the straights. I'd set up your Microburst according to instructions, and if the boat veers one way or another on the straights, this might be one way to adjust it...

Mark that is pretty much standard on all Mono`s Most hardware mfg consider this when selling you hardware kits. You DO NOT want the prop wash to be blowing on the rudder balde.... I normally look at the prop wash angle & try to get the rudder in front of it. ;) Lay a small 6 inch ruler across the (working side) of the prop. This will show the angle the water will be exiting off the prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudder closer to the transom pushes the bow down in the straightaway. Moving it rearward lets the bow run light. Start with boat mfg suggestions as always.

John

Note....good to know info.....moving the rudder too close to the transom makes it ineffective, while moving it rearward gives better leverage to turn the model. Just don't put it directly behind the prop because steering then becomes way too sensitive. To the right and further back than the prop is ok.

Watercadet, it is the 4 strake design.

John, thanks for the extra info. I had the same thought about the rudder becoming less effective if it was moved too far forward. I had a concern if putting it forward of the prop at all was some sort of big no no on a V bottom.

Thanks again guys.

Yes,

I remember a twin mono Steve Speas put together one time where we had put the rudder in front of the props. It would not turn at all. We ended up putting the rudder on an extended bracket that put it five inches behind the transom. That is the only way that boat would turn.

Back