moment of silence

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigger chaser

last night at MT.TRASHMORE here in virginia beach somebody(havent released who yet) drowned swimming after a dead r/c boat...was watching the news and when they said that i first thought of my buddy who recently got a 1/8 scale miss lumar and has been going to trashmore everyday to run...i know he has no rescue boat so i have been calling and texting and not getting a response yet..my heart is hurting thinking about is it somebody i know or is it somebody i dont..either way he is a member of the r/c community and it affects us all..i will know more about it later...never,never,never swim after your boat... :( :( :(

this is VERY sad to hear. i pray it is not your buddy..... i have swam after boats, but NEVER alone, always an able body on shore. i have a retrieve boat, now.

Man that sad. A R/c boat isnt worth losing a life over it. A boat can be replaced a human live cant. This is one of reson why I havent ran my Oberto much yet beside the lake is choppy to at times. Now after seeing this I got to get a retrial boat. I'd aways had sombody with me when I run my boat. Like a old swimming saying goes Bring a buddy when you go swimming the same with running your R/C boats.Bring a buddy. I know this guy brought a buddy with him.I know the water is still to cold to swim in too. But everyones got the R/C boat itch badly and wants to scratch that itch. So it's very important to have a fishing poll or retivial boat or row boat to get your dead boats. I know I was stupied to swim after mine once and by boyfriend walked/waited out to retrive my boat 5 times. I try to run mine close to shore just in case if it died on me and isnt to fare to go get it. Once last year my vegas died to fare out and I was lucky a boater was putting his boat into the water and him and his wife retrive my vegas with the 19 foot boat. I'd thanked them.

Last edited by a moderator:
geez,,, that is awful,,, i sure hope it wasnt your buddy... thoughts and prayers go out to all involved....

alden

This accident is very sad to hear. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

I have in the past swam after my boats, I wil never do such again with or without a buddy.

When we find out the details of this, please think about sending a card or flowers to console the family and let them know how much we care.

Doug

Gosh I hate to see this.

I sure hope it wasn't your buddy, but who ever it is, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Gang, even a cheap plastic Kayak will do. That's what we've been using. I made a little PVC stand that's mounted on the little deck to set the boats on and it works great!

Darn this was so unnecessary! :(

That is just too sad. I have never swam after any of my boats. I always bring my inflatable kayak with me to the pond to retreive my boats. Or, I will sometimes just wait until the wind blows them closer to the shore, depending on which direction the wind is blowing.

About 10 to 12 years ago, I saw one of my boaters decide to swim after one of his boats that had died out on the far side of our pond. He tired out about 3/4 of the way and cried out for help. In a fraction of a second, 2 of the other boaters jumped into the water and saved him. We had warned him before he got in the water, that his boat was farther away than it looked and to NOT try to attempt it. But, He did anyway. Luckily, thanks to the quick action of others he didn't drown. Needless to say it scared the hell out of me. If he had just waited several more minutes the wind would pushed his boat to the far shore and he could of just waded out to his boat. That particular Sunday I did not bring my inflatable kayak, because we were supposed to have the retreival boat there.

From what I've been able to find out so far, he was in his early 20's and a non-swimmer. I'm thinking that we'll know more after the noon news.

Even if you have a small car you can get an inflatable boat, 2-piece oars and a 12-volt inflator/deflator all under $60.00 . I've got all of that sitting in the back of my SUV right now, it doesn't take up much space at all.

the victims name was frank perez.......... they updated the story......hope this isnt him rigger chaser....

alden

Sad day for sure.
our prayers are with is Family and Friends.

Dan.
The same for me. this is truely a sad day. :( Even a cheap $70 Reef racer is a good retreive boat just hook a fishing line and to it with a bobber adout 6 to8 inches behind it circle the dead boat twice and reel them both it is safer than swimming .

My condolences to the family and friends

Gavin Hirt

d12 &d13

Last edited by a moderator:
unfourtenatly it was who i thought it was...i cant stress enough to boaters around here to get a retreive boat but it falls on deaf ears..wake up call indeed..............................

unfourtenatly it was who i thought it was...i cant stress enough to boaters around here to get a retreive boat but it falls on deaf ears..wake up call indeed..............................

very sorry to hear it was your buddy.... :( :( the boat was definetely not worth his life....i agree it is a wake up call to all who have no retrieval vessel...

alden

Man that is horrible!!! I tried it one time and swore that I would never do it again. That was 15 years ago. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Ryon

I'm so sorry to hear that dude. Even a life jacket would have been a good idea in that situation. God bless him and his family. So sad to lose your life for something so trivial.

Latest posts

Back