ML Boatworks- FCM Lauterbach Picklefork Thunderboat- Drumming up interest thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, but a great running one Ray! It is not any larger than most of the other thunderboats out there tho. Just looks big leaned against that table!

Well, time to get people on a waiting list if you are interested. PM me for price details. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Started production last night, well, got a set of cowlings laid up. I will pull them tonight from the molds and see what the result is. Next I will do a top deck, then a bottom. Just trying to get a feel for the molds, and how much material will be needed. I think the cowlings should be plenty strong, and pretty light weight, but I will know more soon. Mike

20160810_072805_zpsrqugli43.jpg

20160810_072811_zpsdhap8zsp.jpg

Started production last night, well, got a set of cowlings laid up. I will pull them tonight from the molds and see what the result is. Next I will do a top deck, then a bottom. Just trying to get a feel for the molds, and how much material will be needed. I think the cowlings should be plenty strong, and pretty light weight, but I will know more soon. Mike

20160810_072805_zpsrqugli43.jpg

20160810_072811_zpsdhap8zsp.jpg
I guess sleep is overrated eh Mike.
default_biggrin.png
default_cool.png

Now that I got the molds prepped, things are starting to move forward. Got the first deck laid up, and did my first "green" trimming ever, which saved a LOT of time. This one has carbon added where needed, which ended up being in most of the deck, but it is very light, and really strong, so I am happy with the way I did this one. Here are some pics. Hopefully showing that I can make these things will spur some interest. Mike

20160816_072412_zpsivjpoqo1.jpg

20160816_072423_zps20owwiff.jpg

20160816_073110_zpsvszh1roq.jpg

Thanks Ray! Just got my first order...a set of Thunderboat cowlings! Hey, I will take it...baby steps, haha

Nice work Mike the orders will come it is a lot faster to get in the water with your glass boat than building in wood and something new to the thunderboat guys

Good luck Gary

Thanks Gary, I know they will. It's all new to me, so the stress level is high right now till things get moving. This boat is a big deal to me! Thanks for your help, and support. I will try and make you proud! Mike

The bottom layup turned out real nice. Might as well call this one a full on Carbon hull. The strength increase across these flat surfaces really calls for adding carbon. I will pull this one from the mold tonight. I want it to sit a bit longer since the ride surface needs to be nice and true.

20160816_213932_zpsrgqgxse5.jpg

20160816_213918_zpsdzulft6m.jpg

Turned out really nice! Now, I need to figure out an engine rail system for the hull, which I will hand cut that for this hull, make templates, and future boats will have laser cut rails. I am going to figure out a radio box to offer with this as well. So far, so good!

20160817_202659_zpsz9s09b4s.jpg

20160817_202651_zpsgbykfluc.jpg

Thanks Rick! Hope you have been doing well. I just wish I had more time to do more. Hard to keep up as it is with a day job tho. Take care, Mike

I spent the fine trimming everything, and making sure all the fitment was exactly where it needed to be, and wow is it turning out great! I will add the turn fin plate tonight, and figure out the rail system for the engine mounts, get it bonded in, then it goes back in the molds, bolted together, and bonded. Really happy with the fitment so far!

20160818_201053_zps8jczswdp.jpg

20160818_201103_zpsgq8fvlbx.jpg

20160818_201129_zps0osgvscu.jpg

I wanted to let everyone know. I have done some research, and based on the current market prices for other thunderboats, I have decided to ask $425 for a gel coated/ fiberglassed hull, and $525 for a gel coated/ carbon fiber hull, plus shipping. I had some PM's over the last few weeks and had told them higher prices, so if those people are still interested, just let me know as this price is very competitive to what is out there! Thanks, Mike

Mike your prices are more than fair I know first hand how much work and material goes into the TB build

Keep up the good work

Gary

Another one being built. This one is full carbon fiber on the hull. The last one was more of a partial carbon layup. So far, so good!

20160913_174803_zpsyrwxgvlw.jpg

20160913_174823_zpspu7q2kyj.jpg

20160913_180049_zpsfxgrkk0e.jpg

Back