Miss Elam Nitro Upgrades

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Sabo

My dad picked up a Miss Elam Nitro 1/12 Boat this weekend. And he put me in charge of it. I can drive it and make it better, but he owns it. Good deal i say. It looks Brand New. But it has a Dynamite .15 in it, so iam not for sure its stock. But iam wondering what upgrades would add speed and handling to this boat.

-What prop would work with the Dynamite engine? I wanna go with a race prep prop. Would a 2 blade work better than a 3 blade?

-Would a .21 pipe work? Iam looking at the AB Pipes, but there .15 pipe seems to short.

-Does a aftermarket turn fin, and rudder make the boat handle better? Or does a stock one work good?

Right now, i wanna keep the stock .15 in it. But in the future, i do plan on buying a Nova .12 for it.

Thanks

Blake

I bought a Miss Budwesier @4yrs - was my 1st boat. I never raced it, just had fun w/it.

Because of the propshaft size, you are really limited on prop choics... I went with a y535 but never tried altering it (adding more/less cup/different blade shapes etc).

A .21 pipe is too big (at least that was what I was told BY Rod G when I asked about using a .21 pipe on my NR .12 motor). I bought a MAC 1110 (?? - the one for .12-.18? engines) and it is almost identical to the factory pipe.... so I'd save the $$ IMO. I DID change out that header - it required alot of modification to get it to turn a tight enough radius to fit under the cowl.

I never got the boat to run so fast that I ever experienced any problems w/the factory rudder & turn fin.

It's been a long time since it has seen the water.... but I have a 6 yr so it may get resurrected for him to play with! :)

Ok Blake here are a few useful tips that might save you frustration later on.

1. Order a new strut from Octura. The one that comes with the boat really limits the handling of the boat. There is no adjustment and the tiny set screws get lost and strip out.

2. Upgrade the shaft when you change the strut. This will also get rid of the stub shaft and set screws.

3.Cut the rear wing uprights off. They are alot heavier than you think and make the front of the boat lift too much.

4. Upgrade to the new turn fin that comes on the electric vesion of that hull.

5. Open up the scoop on the top of the cowl. You will get alot better air flow.

6.take the time to seal the radio box on the inside edges. They have a bad habit of leaking.

Try these ods on the boat and I am sure you will be pleased. When you are ready to upgrade the motor just drop a line and i am sure me or anyone else will be glad to help. Have fun and be safe!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad picked up a Miss Elam Nitro 1/12 Boat this weekend. And he put me in charge of it. I can drive it and make it better, but he owns it. Good deal i say. It looks Brand New. But it has a Dynamite .15 in it, so iam not for sure its stock. But iam wondering what upgrades would add speed and handling to this boat.

-What prop would work with the Dynamite engine? I wanna go with a race prep prop. Would a 2 blade work better than a 3 blade?

-Would a .21 pipe work? Iam looking at the AB Pipes, but there .15 pipe seems to short.

-Does a aftermarket turn fin, and rudder make the boat handle better? Or does a stock one work good?

Right now, i wanna keep the stock .15 in it. But in the future, i do plan on buying a Nova .12 for it.

Thanks

Blake
Blake a .21 is really a handfull to controll...I should know this because I have two of them with.21's.. the worst one to keep in controll is my U-6 Oberto with a CMB.21 RS Redhead..can only drive it at time 1/2 once in awhile 3/4 throtle..You want a fast boat without a tons of mods to get a.21 in it.. get a O.S .18TZ...know sombody that has one at went 55MHP!!! theres a video of it running too.

Best bang for the buck put an 18 in her.I have a 0s 18 tz thats been converted to water cooled and she will spin the biger props with eaze .its in a vagas and she hauls real good.The tz you want is the tz tx .

Best bang for the buck put an 18 in her.I have a 0s 18 tz thats been converted to water cooled and she will spin the biger props with eaze .its in a vagas and she hauls real good.The tz you want is the tz tx .
proublem is,we havent seen any vegas doing 55mhp as of yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back