Miami Marine Stadium

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who remembers? I went there a short time after it's original opening in 1964.

See old photos new renderings and detail at this link.

Also find many great youtubes on the MultiMedia page.

http://www.marinestadium.org/index.php
I went there in 1974 while in marine propulsion school in Key West . Had a great time but unfortunately the memories are faded and don't have any pics of the races . Thanks for the link .

Went there in the 70's.Neat place. Be nice to see racing crank up again. Long narrow course, and if I remember right some boats got beached across from the stands.

"It was closed in 1992 after the City Administration alleged that it was damaged by Hurricane Andrew. Engineering reports have since proven that the structure was sound, but needed repairs."

Hey Andy,

Man, that's great news. I remember it very well, from the day of it's opening until I went into the Navy in 1968. Boat races and concerts - a Great place. Used to be the opening race o0f the Unlimited season for many years. Hopefully we'll see Unlimited and Limited hydros there again one day.

Isn't it amazing how it was condemmed in 1992, and has now been proven to be 'structurally sound - simply needing repairs'. Maybe it cured itself in the 18 years it was shut down. Last I saw it - it was a huge - small boat storage yard. I'm sure the tax base was more dollars as that. Not a bad location on Virginia Key. Gets very crowded with Unlimiteds coming around the right hand turn side by side - - but still a hellova lot better than the Firebird lake site.

Tom, Here are a few pics taken at the '74 race. Gus took a lot of pics of VALU*MART then - she was Brand New. CHEERS !!! Bob

Those are some really cool shots. Behind the Valu-Mart is the U-95, the first turbine powered unlimited. A little too far ahead of its time as it had many problems. I believe it had twin turbines in it. In the second pic you can see the "winged wonder", the then brand new Pay-N-Pak. If they have boat races in the stadium again, I will make the trip.

Well I never attended an event there,do to the fact that it was shut down before I was old enough to go.

But it is now used for kids to party at and get in to trouple,Plus it is covered in graffiti.

There has been talk by the county to try and clean it up and start having events there again.But i do not know how far along they are with that.

And Bob it seems pretty strong to me I used to go on the roof when I was in highschool and it was able to hold a bunch of us.

"...........it seems pretty strong to me I used to go on the roof when I was in highschool and it was able to hold a bunch of us"

Hey Jeremy,

Nice to know it was properly stress tested.

I was living in San Doego area when Andrew went through Miami. I did go to Cutler Bay to help my sister with a Andrew damaged house - had my hands full so didn't get around the rest of the area much. I can honestly say I NEVER believed the claim that is was structurally unsound. Always figured it was an attempt to reuse the property on Virginia Key to increase the tax base. I was glad to see the site Andy posted here and the comments included on it.

Limited class boats used to use the Marine Stadium a lot for races. There was a small race in Jensen Beach each year, but now I believe the bureaucrats have all but eliminated that race too. Are there still races at Ocoee?? It was getting to the point where Friends had to drag their 5 Liter to Virginia as the closest race site to Florida.

Mark - - The 'Winged Wonder' was US1 in 1974 - first year out (1973) as U-25 - it won the National Championship. '73 - '75, and was National Champion in '76 but under U-76 Atlas Van Lines livery. Lots of very good Unlimited hulls during those years between the PAK, AVL, Weisfield's/Olympia Beer, 7402 Miss US, and the Bud. It certainly was not a cake walk for the Bud as it had been so many years. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching the Elvis "CLAMBAKE" movie when I was a teenager, and I thought then how good that joint looked for boat racing.

I have a VHS tape of one Miami race covered by ESPN, pretty sure the white/orange American Speedy Printing was in it...1983? Miss Renault might have won the final if memory serves...

If anyone has a way to convert VHS to disk, perhaps we can get that footage on youtube or IW.

Garrett

"...........it seems pretty strong to me I used to go on the roof when I was in highschool and it was able to hold a bunch of us"

Hey Jeremy,

Nice to know it was properly stress tested.

I was living in San Doego area when Andrew went through Miami. I did go to Cutler Bay to help my sister with a Andrew damaged house - had my hands full so didn't get around the rest of the area much. I can honestly say I NEVER believed the claim that is was structurally unsound. Always figured it was an attempt to reuse the property on Virginai Key to increase the tax base. I was glad to see the site Andy posted here and the comments included on it.

Limited class boats used to used the Marine Stadium a lot for races. There was a small race in Jensen Beach each years, but now I believe the bureaucrats have all but eliminated that race too. Are there still races at Ocoee?? It was geting to the point where Friends had to drag their 5 Liter to Virginia as the closest race site to Florida.

Mark - - The 'Winged Wonder' was US1 in 1974 - first year out (1973) as U-25 - it won the National Championship. '73 - '75, and was National Champion in '76 but under U-76 Atlas Van Lines livery. Lots of very good Unlimited hulls during those years between the PAK, AVL, Weisfield's/Olympia Beer, 7402 Miss US, and the Bud. It certainly was not a cake walk for the Bud as it had been so many years. CHEERS !!! Bob
Cool pics Bob !!

"Cool pics Bob !!"

Thanks Tom - - And from the year you were there also. Cruisin' down Memory Lane, listening to some Jimmy Buffett and sipping on a Cuba Libra. This retired life is ALL RIGHT !!! Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

P.S. My bet is that the second Oberto crewman didn't make it to the deck - - what are the Odds !!! Har, Har !!!

Andy I used to go there for both the unlimited's and concerts......

In 1974 (or 73) I went and the race that was still ruled by those awesome 12 cylinder allisons.

I will never forget at the start of the race all the Hydros would line up in the back straight heading north and dropping out of

the sky were (5) P-51 Mustangs from Homestead Air Force Base......

They flew about 400 feet above the unlimited's....just awesome.....will never forget...what a roar of horsepower both from the sky and the water.....

I attended concerts there from Loggins & Massina and Jimmy Buffet while he was still somewhat unknown....

I hope they rebuild it into a race site again....

Joe

Miami Mrine Stadium2.jpg Miami Mrine Stadium.jpg

Back