Marketing our Hobby

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In D-8, we have a hobby expo in February where there are usually boating groups with tables set up. They usually have fliers available, videos playing, boats on display and people to talk to but, like any other activity, many people are driven away by the cost of getting into the activity or by the way it's presented by the people manning the booth. I'm not saying the people representing the organizations don't try hard because they do. A few years back, I was at the expo and heard two people talking about a crash at one of the regattas and how badly a boat was damaged while the video showed boats flipping during a race. It was easy to see the reaction of some that were nearby as they steared clear of that booth by a fairly large distance. As already stated, word of mouth and videos can be powerful tools, but they can also be a way to shoot ourselves in the foot if the information given, whether intensional or not, is of a negative variety
I know what you mean... We all need to be mindful of this. I noticed in myself that when people ask me how much does it cost my pride gets the best of me and I want to tell them how much my Twin 80 rigger cost to show how big bad and manly my toy is. LOL! I realized I was impressing them but not in a way that would attract them. So now I have learned to modify my response and tell them that there are a couple online retailers that have entry level boats capable of speeds in the 30 mph range for as low as $350.00 and it comes with everything you need to get started with it.

LOL Too Funny Roger...."Manly my toy is" I do the exact same thing.....
Yah... I figured a lot of us do.

Robert

I like this .Now that i am working at a hobby store something like this is much needed .I am all for this ......anything to get this great hobby out there .Let me know what i can do to help.

Joe, thanks for the shout out! That was fun and I would love to see the club get a couple of these boats and let some of the spectators run them between heats etc when appropriate. Are there any barbs with Namba insurance for doing that ? If not lets see how we can get this done for next season.

D

Joe, thanks for the shout out! That was fun and I would love to see the club get a couple of these boats and let some of the spectators run them between heats etc when appropriate. Are there any barbs with Namba insurance for doing that ? If not lets see how we can get this done for next season.

D
Just take a break and "suspend" the race for spectators to use the pond. ;)

D
I like this .I will get with my boss and see if he could help us on the new Aquacraft Mini mono and let us buy them for cost .If not i know i could get them for my cost so one way or another we will make this happen .If need be my club will pay the $10 single event NAMBA insurance........a small price to pay to get someone hooked on the hobby.

Chris

D
I like this .I will get with my boss and see if he could help us on the new Aquacraft Mini mono and let us buy them for cost .If not i know i could get them for my cost so one way or another we will make this happen .If need be my club will pay the $10 single event NAMBA insurance........a small price to pay to get someone hooked on the hobby.

Chris
Chris,

A boat more suitable for racing would be nice. The more speed the better. Give the spectator a chance to run around the buoys.

Robert

One thing to think about, the more sophisticated the boat the more maintenance and cost associated with it (batteries, repairs, risk??) Maybe something in the middle? Low cost to buy and maintain, low risk factor for fowl and spectator...

D

Back