Magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes Virginia, D.C. and New York

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it woke me up here in pennsylvania it was felt far as south carolina all way to new york

it woke me up here in pennsylvania it was felt far as south carolina all way to new york
Guess you need to go to CA. for the real thing. I was in a 6.5 in Monterey CA in 1970 and furniture was re-arranging itself. another in Sacto.CA in the later 1970's (around a 5.8) I was at Moore Bros. welding supply. Watching the oxygen and argon bottles dance was strange. My sister moved from her apt. in the S.F. Marina district just a month before the building toppled in a 7.5 quake. Never experinced one in PA Hope everyone is o.k. and damage was minimal.

Glenn

Guess you need to go to CA. for the real thing. I was in a 6.5 in Monterey CA in 1970 and furniture was re-arranging itself. another in Sacto.CA in the later 1970's (around a 5.8) I was at Moore Bros. welding supply. Watching the oxygen and argon bottles dance was strange. My sister moved from her apt. in the S.F. Marina district just a month before the building toppled in a 7.5 quake. Never experinced one in PA Hope everyone is o.k. and damage was minimal.

Glenn
I was in Monterey for that Earthquake....I just don't remember it because I was only 1 year old...lol! There was another one like that in the early 80's when I was a freshman at Monterey High School....I just remember the desks were moving around and the linoleum floor was a trip to watch moving around the way it did!! Now that I live in DE, I have not felt an earthquake like the one I felt that day in High School....until today!

Next up: Hurricane Irene....

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
shoulda been working under a car on a lift, like i was today :eek: . i ran out of the shop like a scared rabbit, but i thought the car had shifted, or the lift had failed. i had no idea it was an earthquake, 'til i heard it on the radio a few minutes later. i work about 40 to 45 miles west of DC, wasn't all that strong here, but folks just a few miles away had stuff fall off walls & shelves.

shoulda been working under a car on a lift, like i was today :eek: . i ran out of the shop like a scared rabbit, but i thought the car had shifted, or the lift had failed. i had no idea it was an earthquake, 'til i heard it on the radio a few minutes later. i work about 40 to 45 miles west of DC, wasn't all that strong here, but folks just a few miles away had stuff fall off walls & shelves.
Buy a lottery ticket Robin!

Back