looking for kneeler hydro plans,or kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can build one if someone needs one. I can go off of Jerry's plans, or if someone has Bills plans. Once I work more on my own design, I will offer it again. I do not care for the skid fin being mounted off the sponson transom by a couple inches which seems to be the norm. I plan on doing more design work so that the boat itself doesn't lean on that as a crutch. Something about it being mounted like that just doesn't seem correct. I have been told the sponson length is all wrong by someone who knows hydroplanes. None the less, I have built them that way. Here are some pics of past kneelers I have built. I did them in 35", 42" and 52" that was big enough for a gas outboard! Mike

IMGP0452.jpg

IMGP0483.jpg

IMGP0091Large.jpg

IMGP0029Large.jpg

IMGP0274Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mike,

Nice work on those kneeler hydros!

Regarding the turn fin location, I originally mounting the fin on the sponson transom on my early kneelers models but the boats would spin out. I did a lot of testing to find the correct location. It is critical to good cornering. Here's what I think is going on. On the full size kneelers, the prop rotation is the same as the r/c kneelers and as you know the full size kneelers turn left. Turning right with a kneeler with our prop rotation just wants to walk the transom around when turning right. I want to try a kneeler set up to turn left with the fin on the left sponson transom to see if this is, in fact, why we have to move the fin back so far.

If you check out any of the outboard outriggers, they too have the fin mounted way back.

Bill B.

Bill,

That actually makes a whole heck of a lot of sense. It would be interesting to get a reverse cable and prop and give that a try with an FE setup to see if that works. Very good explanation! Mike

Marty

Got the Kneeler! That is a great build. Wow very nice craftsmanship.

Thanks

Tim

Did either of you ever refine the design enough to allow for a normal sponson heal mounted skid fin, or is the bracket method all there is?
Hey Mike......actually, many of the full sized pro boats (500cc and above) used the bracket method for the turn fin mounting. Many used

two or more fins attached to the bracket to help hold them in the corners.

Interesting stuff...Sounds like the outboard, mixed with the way these boats run...tail dragging..That they just run a lot different than a traditional inboard hydro.

Glad you got it Tim

hope Mike starts to put **** away so there will be 3 ready to go at the State Champs

hope to see you guys again this year

an about that Bounty i think there might be some thing there

Larry :huh: if the rest of the guys are in on it

Marty

j d sent you a pm a few days ago about shipping a cd to canada no responds let me know wast going on thanks don

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm putting my Kneeler together, what turn fin are you guys using or is anyone making them for Kneeler?

Has anyone tried mounting the turn fin on the rear of the sponson ( like a sport 20 ) and also having a little one on the transom? I see everyone's turn fin is 6" behind the sponson, just wondering if its necessary

TL

Marty has one mounted on the transom as well. I drove the boat and the thing didnt want to turn at all. I am not sure if its due to the fin on the back also or not. But I dont think I like the fin on the transom.

Marty has one mounted on the transom as well. I drove the boat and the thing didnt want to turn at all. I am not sure if its due to the fin on the back also or not. But I dont think I like the fin on the transom.

I run a rear fin on on my Kneeler and it turns fine. I also have 1/4" deep rear wedges, and "Recovery Pads" in the tunnel floor.

JD

Back