Looking for a gas scale cowl

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it I can use newton plans and pics to get pretty close to the actual boat.also, I will fudge a bit to get the motor to fit . This way I or someone else can race within IMPBA rules and enjoy the thrill of the sport....or I can fret about every measurement and worry wether I am "complying" and just forget about building the dam boat.

I think I will just take my chances and go have fun.

Do your thing Wes. If someone has a problem with something as rediculous as a version of a cowl, then they are in the wrong hobby. I have never seen an exact scale hydro. Only way that will happen is with a blood flowing real life scale person inside.

Guys, I'm not saying a cowl has to be perfect down to a 1/16th of an inch. What I am saying is that you're not going to want to put a cowl from the 1990 T-3 on the 1986 T-1. By the same token, the Madison, after the turbine engine conversion, had a cowl that was wide enough to cover the flashpans for the first several years. By the time Oberto signed on, the cowl had an almost concave look to it as you move up from the deck. All I'm saying is if someone is going to make a plug and mold, they need to take the time to do the research so that it doesn't look like a hack job when installed on someone's project.

Wesley, you are correct, both T-2 and the Madison are based on the same plans. Ron Jones modified the design to carry the extra 1,000 or so pounds the Allison added to the boat. IIRC, the tunnel was wider and had a steeper bottom angle than what the Bud had. As you said, the rear of the boat was a bit different but got to thinking, the PFD on the Madison was much less than on the Bud, at least until the 1991 rebuild

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I'm not saying a cowl has to be perfect down to a 1/16th of an inch. What I am saying is that you're not going to want to put a cowl from the 1990 T-3 on the 1986 T-1. By the same token, the Madison, after the turbine engine conversion, had a cowl that was wide enough to cover the flashpans for the first several years. By the time Oberto signed on, the cowl had an almost concave look to it as you move up from the deck. All I'm saying is if someone is going to make a plug and mold, they need to take the time to do the research so that it doesn't look like a hack job when installed on someone's project.

Wesley, you are correct, both T-2 and the Madison are based on the same plans. Ron Jones modified the design to carry the extra 1,000 or so pounds the Allison added to the boat. IIRC, the tunnel was wider and had a steeper bottom angle than what the Bud had. As you said, the rear of the boat was a bit different but got to thinking, the PFD on the Madison was much less than on the Bud, at least until the 1991 rebuild
I think it's time to just move on sir.

I have to agree Samuel. It's just too bad that any time someone makes a comment about keeping a scale model looking like the full size prototype, it's taken as keeping whatever is being built as an exact replica. I've lost track of how many T-5s and 6s I've seen passed off as Madisons or other boats. I guess the hobby is just turning into buy a kit(wood or glass as it just don't matter), slap whatever paint scheme you want on it and call it good. Seems like getting the details right is a lost art since no one seems to care anymore. I'm out of this

The 88 madison was my first scale boat back in the day. I had to hand paint the lettering on since there were no decal sets available at the time. I can pick out many discrepancies between the scale and full size boat. I don't think I even had a driver inside. Neither the St Louis club,the evansville club or the Detroit club discouraged me from racing even though it was a little out of scale. On the contrary, I was encouraged at every turn. Of corse I think they all felt sorry for me since the boat didn't run for crap! I believe it is our responsibility to pay it forward and encourage all new boaters every way we can even though they show up at a race with a boat with "slapped on paint and decals". It's great that we have these blogs where people can get help with their build but we need to be cautious about how we "help".

FB_IMG_1468343597596.jpg

Wes you keep flashing that pic your lucky Leon is not here or he would slap you. Great job our hobby suffers greatly from xboxes and cell phones. Kids still say WOW but thats about all......

Hydro,

I think I will just say what most on here are thinking....Everyone in this post has been DOING things over the last 10 years, not just TALKING about what they are going to do. I think if you want credibility around the scale hydro racers, you need to start producing. I have been around the hobby for 7 years now, and I have not seen you complete even one boat, nor complete one to the level that you have spoken to others about since I have been on the forums. I am not trying to be mean, I'm just letting you know why those in this thread are just not interested in your reasoning, and quite frankly, your down talking in a lot of cases. When I started doing kits, you beat me over the head because they didn't fit what you felt they should be. It's time you actually produced man. Just saying. I have not gotten on any forum and spoke freely like this in a long time, but people like Wes are getting the gas scale moving forward by producing cowlings. I had no idea the bubble bud cowling was even done, and I cannot wait for Phil to make molds. That will be yet one more, in a very, very small lineup of cowlings available for these, and I commend him for doing these in a manor that IT HELPS OTHERS. Cowlings in general have been the only reason the gas scale class has not grown faster. If you knew of all the phone calls I received with people absolutely pumped up to see their is a gas scale kit of a boat they want to do...only to be fully deflated when they hear no cowling is included, or available. 90% of them, end up back to 1/8th scale. Truly disappointing.

Wes you keep flashing that pic your lucky Leon is not here or he would slap you. Great job our hobby suffers greatly from xboxes and cell phones. Kids still say WOW but thats about all......
That was an awsome weekend in Detroit. Boat ran like crap but we had a blast! Mike Hanson even let me sit in the real boat which was only a couple hundred yards from where we were racing. Good times.

That was an awsome weekend in Detroit. Boat ran like crap but we had a blast! Mike Hanson even let me sit in the real boat which was only a couple hundred yards from where we were racing. Good times.
wes,

your '88 Madison sure looks good to me. I wish I had been there to see your boat in Detroit.

that RC race must have been on Belle Isle.

lack of a 1/8 scale rear cowl has stopped me from building the ML 8806 kit I've had for several years.

thank you for posting photo.

wes,

your '88 Madison sure looks good to me. I wish I had been there to see your boat in Detroit.

that RC race must have been on Belle Isle.

lack of a 1/8 scale rear cowl has stopped me from building the ML 8806 kit I've had for several years.

thank you for posting photo.
No, they used to race behind the spectator stands. Between the unlimited pit and the pit for the classic boats. It is still there. Its just a wide ditch. I saw it when I was there pitting for the U-22 team a few years back. I dont know how we ever were able to turn without hitting the bank.

He cant........He has a case of scanal......Very hard to cure him of that.

Hydro,

I think I will just say what most on here are thinking....Everyone in this post has been DOING things over the last 10 years, not just TALKING about what they are going to do. I think if you want credibility around the scale hydro racers, you need to start producing. I have been around the hobby for 7 years now, and I have not seen you complete even one boat, nor complete one to the level that you have spoken to others about since I have been on the forums. I am not trying to be mean, I'm just letting you know why those in this thread are just not interested in your reasoning, and quite frankly, your down talking in a lot of cases. When I started doing kits, you beat me over the head because they didn't fit what you felt they should be. It's time you actually produced man. Just saying. I have not gotten on any forum and spoke freely like this in a long time, but people like Wes are getting the gas scale moving forward by producing cowlings. I had no idea the bubble bud cowling was even done, and I cannot wait for Phil to make molds. That will be yet one more, in a very, very small lineup of cowlings available for these, and I commend him for doing these in a manor that IT HELPS OTHERS. Cowlings in general have been the only reason the gas scale class has not grown faster. If you knew of all the phone calls I received with people absolutely pumped up to see their is a gas scale kit of a boat they want to do...only to be fully deflated when they hear no cowling is included, or available. 90% of them, end up back to 1/8th scale. Truly disappointing.
Ahmen brother

The only thing holding me back from a gas scale is a cowl. No time to make one, so hopefully Phil T or Steve G. has some time to produce some.

I would like to do the 91 Madison (just like my 1/8th Scale) I believe one of the ML kits will make the 8806 hull.

We had 2 registered in D4 in 2017.

If I could just get some of our GAS guys in D4 going in the scale direction................

2011MadisonDay00045-XL.jpgOn a good note,I got an email saying my gas scale hull was almost done. Graham Truckin here we come.

Back