Lets start with this type of thing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author=Jay Boyd

Business end

Jay,

Sweet carbon! What did you use for the rudder pivot?

Terry

yea Jay..... where did you get the CF angle for the brackets? how strong is it compared to 1/8 angle aluminum?

Hi Jay,

Very nice boat. I'd sure like to hook up someday even if it was to have my lunch handed to me!

I've been doing a little building myself lately! I reevaluated my hobby a while back to crank the fun up again! I remembered I like to build boats so I threw a piece of tag board on the table, got my old leaded straightline a ruler and a sharp pencil and came up with the "Crumbgrabber" 6-8 Rigger

I realize there is a family resemblance to my rum runner hulls but that's where it ends. The only shared geometry is the distance from the back of the sponsons to the transom, but that spec was my contribution to RR several years ago. Everything else is different. AOA, Sponsons, Tub, pad width. Bottom line, I wanted to build a cool looking boat and this was it for me. Not sure how it will work, but I'll have fun trying! That is FUN!

crumbgrabber6-8.jpg

See ya,

Dick

Hi Guys

I don't know where Jay is at the moment, but I do happen to know that he laid up his own CF brackets.

As far as the rudder pivot goes, that sure looks like a Hughey part to me.

Thanks guys!Doug is right,the brackets are 8 layers of 5.7 oz. carbon laminated with West System epoxy.Next time I'll use 10 layers,they do flex a bit more than desired.Maybe have every other layer diagonal might help?I sized them up on my router table.The pivot & strut are Hughey boats.Dick,your rigger looks great!I had a good chuckle when I read what you called it!!(& no worries,I still have lots to learn about these brushless systems) Jay.

hey Dick that looks good! yep, it is fun to build boats...

is there an inside joke to the name? i'm not hip enough to have caught it.

darn on the brackets.... sure would be cool if someone sold them!

After buying a lot of fiber glass pre builts Im with you guys I am starting to enjoy building wooden ones.You kind of get to change things and customize for your set up.Nice job on the riggers.Ill have to post some pics on my Climate riggers with alittle bit of customizing here and there. 8)

hey Dick that looks good! yep, it is fun to build boats...

is there an inside joke to the name? i'm not hip enough to have caught it.
Larry Larson came up with the name a few years back when he and I had less then a stellar performance at a big race. He called us crumbgrabbers.

Maybe the boats name should be the crumbgrabbers revenge! Nah, We'll always be crumbgrabbers at heart. That's what makes it fun!

See ya,

Dick

Hi gents,

After seeing all these fine boats displayed, I figured I toss my stuff up here too... These are my sport hydros.

micro_sports.jpg

you sure build pretty hydros Trent!

I also really admire your micro hydros web site. I almost made something simmilar for .12 riggers

Doug you got my boat ;D. Problem is I need a new cowl the old one's at the bottom of my lake. Got one?

Hi Dunk

Welcome, glad to see you here. Yes, I agree that it seems peaceful here - let's hope we can keep it that way and just have "fun with boats". I particularly enjoy developing "a more sharing of ideas and philosophy with nitro racers" (or gas, or rubber band, or whatever) because "a racer is a racer"

Back in the early 80's, shortly after I retired from racing karts (my 40 year old back couldn't take it anymore), I started flying electric planes and then electric boats and then electric RC cars. You know, I kept runnin' into the same guys (sometimes literally ;D) It got me thinking - racing anything is the same headspace, takes the same skills, disciplines, everything. So why shouldn't we all communicate, trade BS, and learn together (MESSAGE ;D)

Dunk, I was wondering where that boat got to. It is a "one off". The picture is "your boat". The cowl is vacuum-formed styrene. Even when I make a single cowl I usually form more than one but I can't seem to find another one in the "cowl box". However, I did find the plug and it is in reasonable shape. I'm right out of .040" or .060" sheet plastic so once I get some more , I will pull you a new cowl. Email me your mailing address.

Back