Lane Rules !!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterbug

My question is this,, once you pass a boat or vica / versa..

They clear you by 5 boat lengths,, you can move to any lane you want as long as you are clear 5 boat lenghts, side, front and back ??

When another boat comes by or gets within 5 boat lengths of you, you must hold your lane be it 1-8.... With all lapped and slow boats to the outside lane ...??

You can appex a turn and drift lanes as long as there are no boats with in 5 boat lengths of you correct ?

A lane is the width of your boat, with the length of your boat, on each side of you,, is a lane ??

Butch

Last edited by a moderator:
waterbug said:
My question is this,, once you pass a boat or vica / versa.. 
They clear you by 5 boat links, you can move to any lane you want as long as you are clear 5 boat lenghts front and back ??

When another boat comes by or gets within 5 boat lenghts of you, you must hold your lane be it 1-8....  With all lapped and slow boats to the outside lane ...?? 

You can appex a turn and drift lanes as long as there are no boats with in 5 boat lenghts of you correct ?

Butch

92538[/snapback]

The lane you enter the turn is the lane you exit. If you enter in lane 8 and cut to lane 1, a boat entering in lane 2 and exiting in lane 2 will make up time and you will likely occupy the same real estate @ some point. When this happens, guess who's at fault?

I don't recall anything in the rules that say a slow boat has to move to the outside.

Joe,

At most of the races I've been to, during the drivers meeting, the CD has said something to the effect of "slow boats should stay in on the course, close to the bouys." In most cases, it is assumed that if you ar overtaking another boat, it is your responsibility to maintain the clearance, not the boat being overtaken.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad Christy said:
Joe,
At most of the races I've been to, during the drivers meeting, the CD has said something to the effect of "slow boats should stay in on the course, close to the bouys." In most cases, it is assumed that if you ar overtaking another boat, it is your responsibility to maintain the clearance, not the boat being overtaken.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

92545[/snapback]

That's right. Otherwise, the overtaker has to figure out what the slow boat is going to do.

OK !!!

Joe

What you say is true up to about lap 3,, then the field is pretty much where it is going to finish in tunnels .... From what I have seen so far the lapped and slow boats get way out lanes 9-12 and leave the inner lanes for the guys to race ..

Usually the first 3 are drifters,, then you have your bottom feeders trying to catch up....then you have the guys that start in lane 4 and stay where they start..

You should hold your lane and the faster boats will go around you. Rules are Rules BUT, if you change lanes when a boat is coming up on you, You might get run over.... Hold you lane....

It pays to ask questions !!! Because in 5 heats I have seen all types of driving....

I want to know where I should be.... Holding my lane all the time !!!

Thanks Guys !!!!

Hold your lane. What gets me is "WHEN" my boat is lapping a slower boat, sometimes they try and get out of the way. Usually by changing lanes to the outside. By this time, I am committed to where I have to drive but have no idea what they are trying to do. If I am lapping you than I have plenty of speed to get around you. Hold your lane and I will go around.

Mike

Mike,

I noticed that you said "if" :D

I do have a question. I see that Butch is in South Carolina. That would be IMPBA country. Do IMPBA rules use a 5 boat length rule?

Where I come from, I am used to the roostertail being part of the boat if a wash down occurs. I am just curious. I race NAMBA and I have raced APBA. I like to see what rules we are all using. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Al Waters said:
Mike, I noticed that you said "if"  :D

I do have a question. I see that Butch is in South Carolina. That would be IMPBA country. Do IMPBA rules use a 5 boat length rule?

Where I come from, I am used to the roostertail being part of the boat if a wash down occurs. I am just curious. I race NAMBA and I have raced APBA. I like to see what rules we are all using. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

92591[/snapback]

3 boat length rule in IMPBA. But it's always amazing what some people think is a boat length. <_<

The IMPBA rulebook says 3 boat lengths but it is more of a courtesy to move in when you won't wash down the boat that you are passing with your roostertail. I've seen some ballsy moves in my time, one was a person in lane 6 went across into lane 1 right at the start line! All of the boats were pretty much even when the clock hit zero.

:angry: In 15 years of racing in this area the rule of thumb on overtaking then taking over a lane was you cannot washdown / Blow off the passed boat ... Typically @ 15 feet required to do this.

Corners are easier to pass and tuck in quickly than are straight aways :D

Here in NAMBA 9 you see more races won or lost navigating the corners at speed than how fast you go straight :p

Scott

waterbug said:
My question is this...A lane is the width of your boat, with the length of your boat, on each side of you,, is a lane ??

Butch

92538[/snapback]

Butch,

Not sure about IMPBA but NAMBA defines a lane as 2 boat widths.

Snowdog

You should hold your lane and the faster boats will go around you. Rules are Rules BUT, if you change lanes when a boat is coming up on you, You might get run over.... Hold you lane....
THANK GOD THERE ARE A FEW THAT SEE THE LIGHT.

ALL boats should hold a lane. I have had more incidents with people trying to get out of the way than anything else.

A lane is 1.5 boats widths wide. My arguement has always been, who's to say which side of your lane were you on? :lol:

You can take a lane after 3 boat lengths. Measure some boats and you will see that this is almost a minimum of 9 feet. Your roost may be 20 feet but, oh well.

If you are in the lead the lake is basically yours.

All this is useless without a CD who will back it up.

:lol: :lol: The CD screaming in the mic !!! Makes me look for a lane out of the way :p :rolleyes:

If he was not screaming it would be fine I would hold a lane !!! :lol: :lol:

This is all irrelevant !!!! For I can hold my lane now, I have a wheel radio !!! :huh:

Butch the bouy hunter !!! :)

waterbug said:
:lol:   :lol:    The CD screaming in the mic !!!  Makes me look for a lane out of the way  :p   :rolleyes:   
If he was not screaming it would be fine I would hold a lane !!! :lol:   :lol:

This is all irrelevant  !!!!  For I can hold my lane now, I have a wheel radio !!!   :huh:

Butch the bouy hunter !!!   :)

92726[/snapback]

HA WHATS HE SCREAMING? GET OUT OF THE WAY OR HOLD A LANE? :eek:

P THOMAS said:
waterbug said:
:lol:   :lol:    The CD screaming in the mic !!!  Makes me look for a lane out of the way  :p   :rolleyes:   
If he was not screaming it would be fine I would hold a lane !!! :lol:   :lol:

This is all irrelevant  !!!!  For I can hold my lane now, I have a wheel radio !!!   :huh:

Butch the bouy hunter !!!   :)

92726[/snapback]

HA WHATS HE SCREAMING? GET OUT OF THE WAY OR HOLD A LANE? :eek:

92728[/snapback]

That's the best one in a while. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back