K&B Throttle Cable Clamp question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonWid

Can someone please post a picture and/or description of a throttle linkage cable clamp for this engine? I am thinking of just making an L-shape piece of brass with a short piece of brass tubing soldered on top fastened with a 4-40 bolt/nut thru the upper crankcase mounting hole. Or should I try to get a Dubro one?

Thanks,

Jon

What you are thinking of making will work just make sure that the outer sleave is secured in your mount so that it will not slide back and forth.

Will try and find a pic for you.

Thomas

I take a 1/4x 1/16 flat piece of brass drill a hole in one end for a bolt to go though in to the top engine mounting lug [ i have striped front housing bolts it schuks] stand it up imagine straight line to carb arm if it is on the low end of its swing drill a second hole in line with it sodder in a real short piece of brass tubing just big enough for your throttle cable to slip into an glue both ends so it cant move around

Marty

Hi!

This is on a 13cc, but I s'pose it can be sized to fit a smaller motor....

I used .125" aluminum and cut it out with a scroll saw. you can make the bend in the clamping piece by "forging" it with a screwdriver and a hammer. then clamp it together and run a drill bit through it.

Bob the Fool :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,,,,,,, I geuss someone has to help me learn how to post a picture. Tried several times and can't get it done.

Attached is a picture of a throttle cable clamp mounted on the steering bracket. The advantage is that the crankcase bolt doesn't get stripped from constant removal and it's easy to remove the power head without loosing any adjustments.

Lohring Miller

Sorry, too many attachments. Try again.

Hi!

This is on a 13cc, but I s'pose it can be sized to fit a smaller motor....

I used .125" aluminum and cut it out with a scroll saw. you can make the bend in the clamping piece by "forging" it with a screwdriver and a hammer. then clamp it together and run a drill bit through it.

thats the best way and cheapest and it dose work i've done all my tunnels that way!!

Can someone please post a picture and/or description of a throttle linkage cable clamp for this engine? I am thinking of just making an L-shape piece of brass with a short piece of brass tubing soldered on top fastened with a 4-40 bolt/nut thru the upper crankcase mounting hole. Or should I try to get a Dubro one?

Thanks,

Jon
Here are some drawings that I to Boat Modeler some years ago.

Guess the drawings did not upload. Jonwid, if you want send me a PM and I'll Email it to you.

If you use a folded over brass strip that has been formed over a nail or rod about the size of your throttle cable outer sleeve, it works, but you can get a non-slip grip on your throttle cable sleeve by making the opening a little smaller than you need and then running an appropriate size tap thru the opening. For instance, if the sleeve is, say, 3/16 o.d., form the thru-hole at about .175-.180 (use a drill shank) and then run a 10-32 tap thru. You will get little sharp ridges that will grip the sleeve but still allow adjustment without the need for glue. If you need to adjust, you can literally screw the clamp up or down the sleeve without removing it. This is how I made the clamps on my boats. A tap works best, but in a pinch, you can use a screw (especially one of those "self-tapping" screws) to form the threads. Not as efficient, but it functions. Be sure to grip the folded piece of brass in a vise or vise-grip pliers, close to the thru hole, or the tap/screw will just force it apart instead of making threads. If you don't have a tap, you could try just forming the strip over the appropriate size screw to begin with.

Fred Howe

LawlessMan

Why not make life easy. Just get a Du-Bro #3106 Throttle cable clamp for about $1.00.

Sorry about the price, my age is showing, they are up to $3.50

TRY JOE MONOHAN AT 707 SPECILATIES HE MAKES A REAL NICE CLAMP I USE ON MY OUTBOARDS GO TO NAMBA19.COM AND CLICK ON LINKS

As you can see Jon, pretty much anything goes. Build your own or buy one. There are several brands to choose from.

The important thing is that the outer housing is secured to the engine.

Stock K&B setup...

thlnkg.jpg

You guys are making this way too complicated. I use a Dubro #202 "nickel plated steel strap". You get four in a package for $1.85. I put a short piece of fuell tubing on the cable housing,slide it through the hole and slide on another piece. Two small tie wraps lock everything in place,and make removal and adjustments easy.

Thanks, everyone for the ideas. I went with a fairly thick piece of 1/4" brass bent into an L and soldered a 3/8" length of brass tubing to it to secure the cable housing. It is bolted thru the top engine mount lug hole.

I particularly like the last suggestion. Since I already have the 1/4" brass, I will make a strap similar to the dubro and make one of those for my other engine.

Cheers!

Jon

Back