JR syn receivers?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaso

Just putting up this post after on the weekend mine died in my boat. I got to the pond and fueled up, turned on transmitter on then RX and nothing!

I've heard people say they don't like water and on the post on Failsafes they were metioned again. I think mine got a little water a few weeks back when I forgot the bung in the top of my radio box but I dried it out at the time and it ran fine the rest of the day? I have another on order and I had a spare at home for my new boat so I used the one on the weekend.

Does this sound like it is just from the water that may have got in it or have people been having them fail with no reason. I had a failsafe connected to mine and was wondering if this may have actually caused the problem?

Now I'm very unsure of these synthesised receivers and don't know if I should put the failsafe back in or not?

Any ideas or experiences with these things gladly appreciated. :blink:

I have had both act up, OR Just one.

But if you have a doubt, unplug fail safe to test.

Receivers are pretty much lifeless when there wet.

Send it back to JR, See if they can fix it.

they fixed 2 for free, and they charged me to fix one.

Not warrentied if there sprayed with corr X. or other products like it.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom, I'd like to keep using them . I try to be very very careful to not get water in my radio boxs. Do you think this is enough or is there other reasons for them failing. I don't like the idea of boats going off air at full throttle. I've never had this happen or really for that matter had radio problem at all. I really like the idea of not having to have a assortment of crystals also.

I spose I'd like to be reassured that using these receivers I'm not going to have an ongoing problem, or am I going to have to keep one of these things as a spare part like plugs?

Jason.

THere ok if you never get them wet or damp.

I found i have better luck WITHOUT spraying them with corrX.

I just wrap mine in 2 balloons, YES 2 and then rubber band the end and thats about it. sealed in radio box.

I did have one, one time just start glitching when engine running, turns out it acts up under vibration. after being wet, They just dont slowly go eather, when wet, they are dead. May come back if you dry, but normally thats when a problem starts.

Tom

Jaso,

I purchased an XS-3 from E-bay(herein probably lies the problem itself), anyway first time ever, wrapped in straight in a balloon. Did get water in box from my bad driving skills and then straight away receiver failed. Took off balloon, seemed dry and no moisture to me, 2 hours later revived itself on the bench.

To cut to the chase, this happened every time I took the boat out, even if I did not flip the boat and get no water in the box at all. The balloons started to pee me off, so I managed to get my hands on an airtight/water tight electrical junction box...guess my trade....and it failed, no sign of water...only this time it didn't come back from the dead.

Spoke to a few guys that are in the electronic trade, and they suggested a possible faulty component that was heating up and failing, then working again when it cooled down. I can only assume that the final failure in the airtight box was heat related.

I contacted the seller on E-bay as the item was supposedly NEW, needless to say I'm still waiting for some assistance. :angry:

Yeah, the extra crystal free channels are great, but given the experience I've had, I would not buy another JR. Several posts on this forum aren't real positive about JR and water....but then again it was probably just my bad luck. In saying that though haven;t heard any complaints regarding Futaba and water.

Just my 0.02cents or should that be $1 :p

Good luck

Gino

There had been a post up on RC BOATDiscussion about how these receivers DIED if they got wet. JR also did not cover the warranty because they said water voided it. Make sure you don't mention the water aprt when you send it back.

Someone also mentioned a small fuse in them??? Is that true? Maybe it blew.

poolschool said:
Yeah, the extra crystal free channels are great, but given the experience I've had, I would not buy another JR. Several posts on this forum aren't real positive about JR and water....but then again it was probably just my bad luck. In saying that though haven;t heard any complaints regarding Futaba and water.
Just my 0.02cents or should that be $1 :p

Good luck

Gino
Guys,

I've used pretty much all the brands of radio's over the years and can say I am 100% happy with any of the JR's I've owned. The problem appears to be only with the synthesized XS3 recievers.

The question you might want to ask someone who knows these radios on a technical level is can it be used with the non synthesised reciever from the XR3 (R135 receiver) and a crystal? (not changing the channel on the TX.)

I've been using the R135 RX for a few years now - no problems so far.

Tim.

Tim,

I asked the LHS if i could use a crystaled receiver, and they said it would not work.

Others said YES, They said NO, Didnt want to spend the money and find out it woudlnt work.

If the crystaled receivers work with the XR3 Syn system, let me know

Thanks

Tom

Not working without a Synth Rx - sounds like a load of BS. Radios - synth or not operate on the same principle a signal is encoded and the receiver decodes it. Modulation is what it is eg AM=AM FM=FM PCM=PCM all synth TxRx do is synthesise a particular frequency electronically rather than by the use of crystal generated resonant frequencies.

Go to your LHS with your Tx and ask them if you can test a crystal Rx with the Tx and see if it works. You will only need to be aware of whether your radio uses positive or negative shift transmission.

Oh and I forgot to say JR make some of the finest radio equipment in the world, as do Futaba & Sanwa (airtronics). But even the best can make something that is not particulalry suitable for our intended use. Do they say it is a boat radio? If they say not to be used around water I'd guess not.

:unsure:

I have been using JR Synth recievers since last year when they were released. I run them in F Hydro, E Hydro, D Mono, B Mono and B Tunnel. I have been running Novak Synth Rx in F Mono and throttles of Twin Hydro. So far no failures on any of them. Generally my radio boxes are dry and I do my best to minimize vibration impact. Typically, at the end of a running day, I find small moisture accumulation in the paper towels that I put in the radio boxes. No liquid accumulation in the bottom of the radio boxes. Futaba is coming out with their Synth version soon, it should be a good system also.

JOSE ORTIZ IMPBA 11755

Thanks all for your comments and experience. I have had a JR outfit once in the past and I thought the build quality and overall performance was great. It wouldn't suprise me to see a modified outfit sold next with a redesigned receiver to try to make the receivers more stable and reliable. I would be surprised if JR just left them as is because they would have to be awhere of there weakness to water.

I have in general found there stuff to be really good.

Guess I'll persist with these receivers and just keep in mind if I happen to get one wet that it may very well fail then or a short time after. Not a real cheap part to have to replace real often, keep radio box super sealed and I guess is the go.

Jason. ;)

See they didnt have the crystal, so I WOULD OF had to order it.

and didnt have RX, Maybe next time i am at Als, I will have them do that.

T

I'm a big fan of JR's as well. Tried Hidetec, Futaba and Sanwa, JR pcm is the only way to go for me now. It is partially a supply thing to though, JR is more popular here in Oz than the others.

The XS3 was made for Cars and yes they do say it is for boats as well but I don't think they put any boating features into the build of it what so ever. The in-ability to cope with water is a big no no. I know a lot of guys who don't open their radio boxes at the end of the day, this would be a huge potiential for condensation. If your not taking the lid off completely and just opening a switch hole your asking for trouble in my opinion.

All the races I have been to you can only select 2 frequencies so I don't really understand why you would need all of the frequencies anyway?

Back