JD Designs a 3.5 OB Vee

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dunny,

It really breaks my heart to come to your defense :D but here goes......

1.A 3.5 outboard mono is one of the hardest boats I have ever tried to set-up or drive.

2.A 3.5 outboard mono is one of the most fun boats I have ever driven.

3."Ugly" boats that consistently win all of a sudden become very beautiful.

4.Dunny,Great design......If this boat runs as good as I think it does,there is going to be a lot of these on the water in front of lakefront vacation homes in the years to come.

5.For you guys that think you know how to drive a model boat,go get an old 3.5 mono,put an outboard on it and go out and try to turn the boat with any speed at all.Make sure you take your Prozac,Vallium and a gallon Thunderbird with you when you do.You will need it.

"The devil made me do this".This is one of those great model boat racing memories.

"Uncle Waterbox" :D :D I love it.This is a great J.D. story.

[Jerry,I still remember Leo Drieth laughing and choking so hard that he had coffee coming out every orifice on his face.]

About 20 years ago,as I recall,at a play day at Waughop ,Jerry had flipped his boat.The boat stayed upside down on the course maybe 5-10 minutes until the water was closed.

The boat after being retrieved was back sitting on the stand and the radio was not responding.

Of course our first explanation was the radio had gotten wet but when Jerry pulled off the cowl the radio box was crystal clear with no moisture fog visible so we thought the problem was some where else.

Now this was back in the days when we had screw down radio box lids so getting into the box was no small job.We checked the xmitter batteries,antenna etc.etc,etc and it quickly became apparent the only thing left,we thought, was the receiver pack.

Jerry took out all the screws and peeled off the cover,and shazaam the water level in the box was right to the absolute top.Not even a bubble was present in "Uncle Waterboxes" radio.

To this day I don't ever recall seeing another radio box that full of water. :D

re: "a radio box that full of water"

Eric Bourlet had the same thing happen a couple of years back in his cut down Prather 3.5 Vee that I gave him. Filled that "water box" right to the top, not an air bubble to be seen. But, since it was originally my boat and radio box, I got the blame :( . Go figure.

JD

Hey Michael

You were supposed to take me out for a test drive. Now if you sell it, I won't get my test drive. Unless you have two. I seem to recall seeing a yellow one in the back room last 4 July. Or maybe it is the one for sale. The brain tends to fog up every once in a while. I would love to buy it. You know what the wife would say. The same thing yours did when Mark was offering you the B hydro.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
When my radio boxes got wet I thought that was bad, BUT FULL TO THE TOP WITH OUT AN AIR BUBBLE!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!

i always wanted to race go-karts well better yet a shifter kart. maybe i can talk you into letting me rent it for a hour of two or until i break a couple ribs :D :D :D my dad bruised a couple after we went to grand prix raceway :D but good times anyways see you tomarrow

Joel Hanson

:ph34r:

Keep this under your hats but here is a photo from deep within the "Dunny" (AKA Jerry Dunlap) workshop in a secret location of his latest Skunkworks creation. Please burn your monitor after displaying this . That is if it did not explode already from displaying such a hideous image.

View attachment 2288

Eric,

Oh my Gosh, LMAO. :lol: By chance is this any reference to how well he did (or did not do) with the boat?

Snowdog

HE HE

Me so funny.

Hey, did anyone notice the jpeg file name? UFB Ugly %ucking Boat

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike,

So please tell us how the boat did. Was it competitive? Did it win despite the designer/owner? :p What's the 4-1-1?

Snowdog

The boat ran very well. It needs a turn fin but other wise is a very good running outboard mono. It did not win but he had to run with the inboard guys. We don't run an outboard class. Jerry had a get together at his house Last night after the race, and it was brought up that if he built six of them we would drive them to make a class at the district races.

Mark

Good job jerry- I have also played the O.B. mono game and it is not easy. The boat I built was so bad I never let anyone see it run. It amazes me that everyone has this image in their head of how a boat is supposed to look just because of what is already out there. I guess this is why there are no good new designers in model boats--only followers. I say what looks good is what's out front. Good luck at the nat's. jerry.

Re: How the boat did

Well, the photo of the boat in "Dunny's Workshop" pretty much sums up how things went for me. I finished 4th in the first race - seven boats started - and I think I was the last one still running. In the second heat I smacked a dead boat and flipped(didn't do any damage to either boat thankfully). In the third heat the motor was too lean and I never got to the first corner in the mill before it stalled. After the race, Eric Bourlet took a couple of reallynice photos of the boat(running, not sitting in the workshop). I'm going to stick my MAC 21 OB on it sometime this week and see how that works.

JD

I did get some nice shots of Jerry's boat running, but those photos were shot at his request for possible inclusion in an article so I did not feel it appropriate to post those here. Mark Anderson's above post sums it up rather well. By the way ,ask Gene G, who's idea the "workshop" photo was. <_<

PU :lol:

That's Gene Gager, not Gene Gillman, just to clear that up, Guess we could go by Geno 1 and 2 :p

Bryan

I have no idea how the boat did. I WAS IN THE CLASS. Don't have eyes out the back of my boat, now do I? One thing I do know is that I did not ever see it go by me. :lol:

Mike

PS Poor little boat. We have had a lot of laughs at it expense.

:unsure: jerry, I really didn't have anything to do with exposing your skunk works project in your area 51 shop, please don't pull my factory driving position. If you fire me I will expose your manhatten project headed up by dave s. , you have going on in your skunk works "basement" , that will get real stinky. geno 2 :ph34r:

From your roving news reporter,

Nor west man discovered to have highly classified cold fusion experiments going on in basement, also reported to have designed strange shaped objects operated by remote control............

News at 11:00

Geno 1 :lol: :ph34r:

Do you guys know what an outdoor toilet is called in Australia? You are not going to believe this but it is 100% true.... It's called a DUNNY!

Back