JD Designs a 3.5 OB Vee

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, but I like weird! Some think that the Speedmasters and Seaducers are ugly but are some of the best handling boats around. Nothing's worse for the competition than getting whupped on by an ugly boat. :D The cowling adds the drag boat feature to it. Toss on a cool paint job with your usual huge Futaba decals on and it will take on a whole new look. Is there a magazine article in it's future?

Here's a shot of the boat running. I'm going to race it in 3.5 Mono on Saturday just to get some practice driving the boat - don't expect to beat any inboards, just hope to finish some heats.

JD

The boat really does drive well. I let my brother run it, he has run some of my tunnels, and he said it was really easy to drive. Gene Gager ran the boat while I shot action pictures. He managed to run over a buoy and flip it. I now know the radio box is water tight(although there's a bunch of District 8 guys who would dispute that claim).

JD

Seems that ugly duckling has turned into a swan Dunny. Like your paint scheme.

And I recognize lake (wohop ?) all the way from way over here even though I was there only once.

Even my daughter knows Jerry's other nickname. Uncle waterbox. HEHE

Oooooops Jerry got radio in his waterbox again.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. i run a wet radiobox, i figure the electronics run better in the water, better conductivity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the paint job JD... and ah i think someone already asked but are tehre plans for umm well plans ?

Hey JD

No disrespect but your boat looks like someone planted their tunnel in the back of a bass boat. Sort of bad parking.

Aside fron that it looks like it handles ok I guesss you could make the next version have a traditional boat pointed bow.

GT :D

AH HA :eek: , I think I have the reason for the round bow, Its a buoy friendly boat :unsure: . You see in our club (district 8) there has been alot of damaged buoys recently :ph34r: , and I am very happy to see that JD has approached this buoy problem( as he often does) head on :p . Oh and Gene this feature also works well when hitting dead boats by spreading the load of the impact over a greater area resulting in less damage :blink: .

JD your a true visionary and I am sure one day all boats will be built this way. ;) NOT.

See you this weekend :lol:

Re: might be off the topic

It looks like the indicator lines are pointing to lift strakes on the bottom of a vee hull. The purpose of the lift stakes is to lift the boat out of the water, reducing the wetted area, and increasing speed. Too many strakes can also cause handling problems.

JD

Uncle Jerry,

Nice paint job on the "Ugly Duckling". That boat looks SOOOOOOO much nicer with some color. Great work and if you stay off the bouys, you might actually win a heat or two.

Snowdog

JD, why didn't you tell me about the lift stakes?? as I to was trying to lift it out of the water going over the bouys. isn't that why we put the bouys out? geno

Latest posts

Back