JAE21, Wow!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Inverarity

Supporting Member
I just ran my new JAE21 for the first time today, the design is fantastic! :) It launched easy, pulled any appropriate prop I had, and the turning was amazing! A big thanks to the JAE team and Zipkitts for such an amazing design! :wub:

Months ago I wrecked my old boat, which until then was quite competitive. So I bought one of Mike Walker's 80% built Zippkits from Colin Buckmaster, OZ RC Boat Supplies, and built up the boat with all new stuff (or new for me!). See pics here:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1132

Compared to my old boat, this new boat easily launches with props that used to be a struggle and gets on pipe at half throttle! Also turning on my tiny test pond is not an issue, with the old boat I had to back off to turn at the tight end, with the JAE there is no issue with turn radius at full speed. I cant wait to try it on a full sized course and get the engine loosened up!

I saw on another thread a comment that the G forces means a header tank is needed, that did seem to be the case today. :( Easy mod tho.

Ian,

Sounds like you've got a winner there!

I'm looking forward to seeing it run at Shepparton.

See ya there,

James

I just ran my new JAE21 for the first time today, the design is fantastic! :) It launched easy, pulled any appropriate prop I had, and the turning was amazing! A big thanks to the JAE team and Zipkitts for such an amazing design! :wub:

Months ago I wrecked my old boat, which until then was quite competitive. So I bought one of Mike Walker's 80% built Zippkits from Colin Buckmaster, OZ RC Boat Supplies, and built up the boat with all new stuff (or new for me!). See pics here:

http://gallery.intlw....php?album=1132

Compared to my old boat, this new boat easily launches with props that used to be a struggle and gets on pipe at half throttle! Also turning on my tiny test pond is not an issue, with the old boat I had to back off to turn at the tight end, with the JAE there is no issue with turn radius at full speed. I cant wait to try it on a full sized course and get the engine loosened up!

I saw on another thread a comment that the G forces means a header tank is needed, that did seem to be the case today. :( Easy mod tho.
We tried everything we could think of to get the boat to run without the header tank .....The boat evidently pulls

so many "G's" in the corner that we never could get it to completely empty the 8oz slant Sullivan without going lean quiting.....

There wasn't anyone more surprized than the JAE design team when we realized the boat absolutely had to have a header tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
all true B) !!! awesome boat, just that a sullivan tank is not the best option. i got walt barney to make me a tank, great boat even better. have fun, ian, i **** sure am, lovin' mine :wub: .

My JAE 21 seems fine with the Sullivan 8 oz. slant tank. Could it be my engine is set a little rich, so leaning a little in the corners is not causing any issues?? My boat could be slower than others, but it's surely fast enough for me. :) I'm also one of the few that is running a bone stock NR carb, so that could help too....

Can't really imagine any .21 rigger running without a surge tank or baflle tank,.. unless the tank was just huge... ,...

Took you long enough! Lmao

Just kidding, looks great man. Love the NFRP cooling jacket! That looksvery trick!!

rigger looks great ian,, put that metal tank in pal,, see you at shepp , my jae is hon king around great,, these jae 21 riggers are awsome, cheers jase,,

Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I ran it again at a club race today, I am still sorting out rudder rates, trim etc, but running a course I didnt have issues without a header tank. Years ago I ran my SG45 with a plastic tank with no header and that wasnt a problem, I hoped to do the same with this boat. Fellow club members were pretty impressed with the boat today! B)

I had to use a hopper with my sully 8 oz or it would just keep dying .It worked fine with hopper but i broke down and got a tank from walt and they work nice too and a lot less plumbing !!!!

Well, I didnt do so well in my first race meet with the boat, but it showed good potential. My turn fin design didnt work right, I borrowed a Mike Hughes fin from Kris Flynn (thanks Kris!! B) ) and that was better. After racing we got the boat at 75mph on a Stalker radar, I was happy with that for the first hit out. I didnt have any issues with fuel pickup without using a header, in fact I was only using about half of the 10oz of fuel in each race!

Well, I didnt do so well in my first race meet with the boat, but it showed good potential. My turn fin design didnt work right, I borrowed a Mike Hughes fin from Kris Flynn (thanks Kris!! B) ) and that was better. After racing we got the boat at 75mph on a Stalker radar, I was happy with that for the first hit out. I didnt have any issues with fuel pickup without using a header, in fact I was only using about half of the 10oz of fuel in each race!
I watched the video you posted and there is only one reason why your boat did what it did........."your turnfin just ain't doin' its job"........

The best fin I have personally seen on the JAE.21G2 is from David Preusse [ [email protected] ]

The stock fin from Zippkits and the Hughes fin,sharpened properly,are a close second but the Preusse fins i witnessed at Hobart were bullet-proof.

The way David Preusse sharpens his fins is spot on to the needs of the JAE21G2 handling requirements and showed

no compromise whatsoever in speed,directional control or handling......

I say again anytime you see a JAE pole vault up in the air,like in the video,the turnfin is letting the boat slide....simple as that.....

Rod,

In the video I was using the Hughes fin, basically it blew off in rough water, I had turned so as not to hit the dock but wasnt really turning when it crashed. I am not running a cowl, and I think that I need one to help it not blow off. But I agree with your comments about the fins in general. My own design cornered very well but tracked poorly on the straights. At the same race Aaron Alberico was using turn fins from David Preusse on his JAE21 and 45 and his fins did not let go in turns, he never crashed. I havent tried the Zippkit fin yet but have just sharpened that to try, as well as modified my own design to try again. If I cant get my own designs to work I will get a fin from David.

I didnt post the video to show the crash, merely to show I wasnt BS'ing about the speed... :D

i have had good luck running the zipp fin. i do run a brace/doubler on it, due to hearing "stories" about it bending. i didn't have any issues before adding the doubler, did it more for insurance......

Rod,

In the video I was using the Hughes fin, basically it blew off in rough water, I had turned so as not to hit the dock but wasnt really turning when it crashed. I am not running a cowl, and I think that I need one to help it not blow off. But I agree with your comments about the fins in general. My own design cornered very well but tracked poorly on the straights. At the same race Aaron Alberico was using turn fins from David Preusse on his JAE21 and 45 and his fins did not let go in turns, he never crashed. I havent tried the Zippkit fin yet but have just sharpened that to try, as well as modified my own design to try again. If I cant get my own designs to work I will get a fin from David.

I didnt post the video to show the crash, merely to show I wasnt BS'ing about the speed... :D
Ian,

I am sure there is more yet to be gained by fin testing ;) ......My primary reason for mentioning the Preusse fin was two fold....

1. For those who don't want to test fins,they can buy a race ready fin from David....and.......

2. I wanted to reiterate that if the boat trips and pole vaults,the end result is the fin just isn't gettin' it done.....

As to the speed of the boat I have seen many question some of the speeds of the JAE21G2 posted as "keyboard racing".....

All I can tell you is this,the JAE team can pretty much easily get over 80 MPH every time they set out to do so.....props,motors, pipes & setups seem to be getting better and better.....

The JAE.21G2 launches so easy and rides as light on the water as a waterbug.......Owners of the JAE21 are just learning to set up for those exceptional characteristics of the JAE 21.

Now I am not saying that the set-ups to do so may well not be the best overall heat race set-ups [that remains to be seen] but I can tell you this...

all the 80+ MPH passes have been made with a full blown heat race turnfin and rudder......

You have seen proof in this statement......You have been all over the mid to hi 70s without much effort of testing......Hint......Start playing with prop diameters and shorter pipes.all the while

keeping the strut down on the ski sheeting and see what you come up with......

P.S.: You ability to run without a hopper tank absolutely baffles me...... :wacko: :blink:

I'm wondering about the hopper tank as I have not needed it either. Are guys using those flex tanks and the fuel pickup is getting pinched in the corner of the tank? Maybe I'm not running that fast? Maybe here on our Namba course in Edmonton and Calgary we use bigger diameter corners? We typically run 300' straightaways and 90' diameter corners. 6 laps equals a mile course. I'm also running the stock fin with the edges smoothed out more than stock. Nova 5 port and woods pipe. H7 prop backcut slightly at 3.75" cup. 2200' elevation. I can hang with Alan Yuen's blackbird and some of you saw it at Hobart. Am I that slow???? More testing next year......

thanks

308249_266530410024107_100000014504036_1118984_2522447_n.jpg

I raced another weekend with no hopper tank and had no fuel draw problems.

IMPBA is typically 330' straight and 70' diameter corners.

Latest posts

Back