JAE12g Fuel Tank

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Drust

A whole year later I am still building my first JAE 12g, and I need a fuel tank. Everywhere I look the SS-4 is sold out. Anyone know of a good substitute for it?

I used the Sullivan 4 oz. Flextank, It is about twice as much $$$ though. The Dubro 4 Oz. tank will fit, but you will need to remove a bit of the top sheeting to get the tank out...I suspect the Sullivan 4 Oz. hard tank would be the same, but not sure.

A whole year later I am still building my first JAE 12g, and I need a fuel tank. Everywhere I look the SS-4 is sold out. Anyone know of a good substitute for it?
I got a sulavan 4oz soft tank. But joe took it out because he didnt want to chance running out of fuel in a race..since we been hearing some guys are cutting it close at the end of a race.. Joe made a nice brass 5 1/2oz tank for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
eric, pay shipping, & i'll send you one. $4.95 for usps priority box, in the u.s.. pm me your addy if you want it.

I have been on a lot of internet forums for a lot of different reasons, but I must say this one has the most helpful and most accommodating members I have ever come across. This is the second time since I have joined someone has offered up spare parts for next to nothing. I feel guilty I don't have anything to offer... :(

there are some nice guys on this site. some are willing to help the less fortunat ones and that great.

One more place to look for a SS4 tank, your local hobby shop! I know not many of those around any more but there are some and that is a item they could have. While on a road trip I try to seek out hobby shops to go visit, most times it is fruitless but sometimes you run across some deals and items that are hard to find. I did find a tank at a shop just 3 weeks ago, it is possible. Good luck, BTW the NR 12 is VERY easy on the fuel use, kind of like a humming bird!

15 years ago there were three hobby shops in my area, today, only one left and they are open about 2-3 hours a day at random. I have been there several times in the last year and every time I missed the time they were open (they change their hours daily). I have finally given up on them.

15 years ago there were three hobby shops in my area, today, only one left and they are open about 2-3 hours a day at random. I have been there several times in the last year and every time I missed the time they were open (they change their hours daily). I have finally given up on them.
o/t

I remember a hobby shop with random hours back when I was younger.. Funny! being I grew up going to that shop and knew the owner I just had him call my home when he was open or Id call him to set up a time to come in. Sometimes people who own some of these shops are up there in age and sick or they are doing other things. But I always like to support the local hobby shop when I can .. Nowadays the owner of my local hobbyshop lives around the cornner. Now, only if he was into boats as much as he is into airplanes... :D

Hey Eric, I was just curious about your starting comment about taking a whole year for the 12G?? Is there a problem putting it together?

Hey Eric, I was just curious about your starting comment about taking a whole year for the 12G?? Is there a problem putting it together?
Yep, I can't figure out which end is the front... :p

No, actually it has been a year for a few reasons...

I was unemployed, so I bought a part at a time. Next, I fix electronics for a hobby, which I do on the same workbench used to build the boat, so the boat never had a chance (and I still have a hard time fitting it in). And lastly, prior to starting this project I bought a used BlackJack 26, which I needed to play with and get used to nitro engines.

Honestly I have never owned anything R/C which was nitro, everything has been electric. The first few times I ran the BlackJack I was so nervous my trigger finger was jittering enough you could see the pulsation in the movement of the boat. I feared that between starting the engine and placing it in the water it might burn a piston, or that the needle was off and it might fry a piston. Well, most of that is behind me now, and I am finding the whole nitro concept to be pretty forgiving.

Watch which tank that you get! The softer plastic Sullivan tank is easier to plumb up as you can see through it easier but the first time that I fired up my NR powered JAE .12 I noticed that the tank started expanding due to tank pressure. I never saw that happen before! If you ran a cowl on the boat it could pop it off.

If you have the problem with the Plastic tank expanding wrap it with duck tape, Airplane guys do this with the YS engines that have a lot of pipe pressure.

Walt Barney

Hey Eric, Thanks for putting that in perspective for me. I know how it can be with multiple projects.. Since you guys are talking at length about the Sullivan SS-4 tanks in the 12G's - here's one for ya that my Son Lance posed to me this morning: We both have 12G's and both have SS-4's in them.. My 12G can run approx: 10-12 laps(Enough to possibly finish a race with good water) with about 1/4 tank to spare.. "Sip's it like a hummingbird" :lol: But at aprox: 6-7 laps(Milling included) the boat get's that reving-sound like it's going lean because the fuel is splashing around - causing Air bubbles to climb-up the fule line(caused by the low volume of fuel in the tank). Does everyone else get the same problem? Finishing a race sometimes can be tricky.. I know that it is only 4 oz. of fuel, but we need to solve this issue - aside from trying to put some sort of hopper tank(No room).. B) Here's what I came-up with that I'm going to try for this Weekends District 6 points race.. I remember back in the 80's when the fuel seemed to foam-more then it does today & we used to put some sort of (Chore-Boy pad) in the tank to buffer this effect and it worked great. My idea this time is to buy this Nylon SOS Tuffy Dishwashing pad - seperate it/spread it apart and put it in the Sullivan SS-4 to act as a buffer for the splashing.. :D Don't know if this is going to work and wondering if anyone has tried it on the 12G?

Back