how does a carbon nitro tank hold up ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek owen

I made this tank from 1mm sheet carbon using alloy angle and jb weld epoxy ! I needed to make a custom tank for my modified 21 keps with an under belly for a larger tank due to putting in a cmb 45 evo. I feel confident the carbon wont be an issue, and I hope to get a season racing before the JB weld starts to melt !! I only use 16/25% nitro and intend to flush out after the days racing. There is plenty of JB WELD on the flanges so is a 100% secure at this stage. Just to add a short video of the keps with the 45 evo installed. No doubt there could be mixed views on using these materials for nitro tanks. and those who have done this tank build with good or bad results?

Attachments

• 20240110_140138.jpg
    20240110_140138.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_144018.jpg
    20240110_144018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_145555.jpg
    20240111_145555.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_142234.jpg
    20240112_142234.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi Derek,,I've never used JB,,but the best epoxy I've used here in Australia is Selleys Araldite Super Strenght 24hr epoxy,,strong bond ,never gets brittle and is fuel resistant,,I used it for laminating plywood/boatbuilding and also made a ramp for a drum rotor,,no other 30 min type epoxies Ive tried compares

Hi Derek,,I've never used JB,,but the best epoxy I've used here in Australia is Selleys Araldite Super Strenght 24hr epoxy,,strong bond ,never gets brittle and is fuel resistant,,I used it for laminating plywood/boatbuilding and also made a ramp for a drum rotor,,no other 30 min type epoxies Ive tried compares
the JB is really a 24hr epoxy again can be machined too time will tell

I made this tank from 1mm sheet carbon using alloy angle and jb weld epoxy ! I needed to make a custom tank for my modified 21 keps with an under belly for a larger tank due to putting in a cmb 45 evo. I feel confident the carbon wont be an issue, and I hope to get a season racing before the JB weld starts to melt !! I only use 16/25% nitro and intend to flush out after the days racing. There is plenty of JB WELD on the flanges so is a 100% secure at this stage. Just to add a short video of the keps with the 45 evo installed. No doubt there could be mixed views on using these materials for nitro tanks. and those who have done this tank build with good or bad results?

Del, you may want to consider an internal coating....there are many to choose from, and some are impervious to practically all chemicals.

We used one, can't remember brand, in our Honda CBX drag bike that we used race petrol doped with Klotz Nitro Power. It's 50% nitropropane and proprietary Koolinol. It also inhibits detonation.
The bike had a fiberglass tank and NEVER leaked.

This stuff linked here is available through Amazon and is available in 8 oz. size ...

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer.html
Also, there are structural epoxies available that have far better adhesion, flexural modulus, and chemical resistance than JB Weld. Methanol, nitro, and your lubricant package will induce brittling in your application, eventually.

Let me know if you're interested in some specialty adhesives and we'll send you some links. Some companies will send you samples either no charge or a very minimal fee.

Structural Urethane Adhesives are generally the hot setup for projects such as yours.

We've thought about CF fuel tanks- both panel construction and vac formed 'tub' and hopper with a bonded on top.

Good job, Del....keep those mental gears meshing! :)

328443_356623041034362_1357025662_o_356623041034362.jpg
rs=w_600,h_600.png

Del, you may want to consider an internal coating....there are many to choose from, and some are impervious to practically all chemicals.

We used one, can't remember brand, in our Honda CBX drag bike that we used race petrol doped with Klotz Nitro Power. It's 50% nitropropane and proprietary Koolinol. It also inhibits detonation.

This stuff linked here is available through Amazon and is available in 8 oz. size ...

Also, there are structural epoxies available that have far better adhesion, flexural modulus, and chemical resistance than JB Weld. Methanol, nitro, and your lubricant package will induce brittling in your application, eventually.

Let me know if you're interested in some specialty adhesives and we'll send you some links. Some companies will send you samples either no charge or a very minimal fee.

Structural Urethane Adhesives are generally the hot setup for projects such as yours.

We've thought about CF fuel tanks- both panel construction and vac formed 'tub' and hopper with a bonded on top.

View attachment 323221
View attachment 323222
timbo thanks for reply, I was hoping to get a seasons racing with the tank flushing out after use , I feel confident with the sheet carbon and so far the jb I have soaking in fuel for 3 weeks so far is holding out. I would be keen on links to superior products !. so yes to what you know please. I know that sheet carbon would have been tried by others with poss mixed results! But you know me ...I have to find out for myself. LOL Not over keen on being told things wont work ... I have to find it out the hard way !!! Thats just me cheers Timbo all advice and tips very welcome Del

timbo thanks for reply, I was hoping to get a seasons racing with the tank flushing out after use , I feel confident with the sheet carbon and so far the jb I have soaking in fuel for 3 weeks so far is holding out. I would be keen on links to superior products !. so yes to what you know please. I know that sheet carbon would have been tried by others with poss mixed results! But you know me ...I have to find out for myself. LOL Not over keen on being told things wont work ... I have to find it out the hard way !!! Thats just me cheers Timbo all advice and tips very welcome Del
You bet....trying is learning!

View attachment 323221
View attachment 323222
Image_20240118_0001.jpg
Beautiful bike Timbo, brings back memories!

Put a filter between motor and tank just in case epoxy breaks down. I have seen nitro tanks moulded from vinylester resin. Still need to wash out after a days run .

The Honda brings back a ton of memories as I hopped up a 750 for road racing. Clip ons, tank, shocks and forks along with cylinder head work for better flow and compression, bigger carbs and Yashamira headers and pipe and it was fast, yep almost as fast as a stock KZ 900 Kawasaki in a drag race:).

Back