JAE .45 G

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,

Build it square and by the way it was designed. The boat needs no help turning .

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an experienced racer, my view is they tend to jaw and jerk in the turns, they run fine but i am not looking for input from those who have made an effort to improve the the cornering.

I am an experienced racer, my view is they tend to jaw and jerk in the turns, they run fine but i am not looking for input from those who have made an effort to improve the the cornering.
Can you show any pictures of your JAE 45???
default_rolleyes.gif

Allan, I find it hard to believe that some bevel on the outside port sponson would not help cornering

image.jpg

Ken I can share this with you I did try to add a non trip on my gas JAE and it did nothing to help.My thought are you have to play with your turn fin and set up prop/ strut. The boat as per plan is fine you just have to fine the sweet spot.

Allan, I find it hard to believe that some bevel on the outside port sponson would not help cornering
Tell me measure on tub long? It will easy fly and out of control chopper corner
default_wacko.png

Better contact to Rod Geraghty He will help you problem solve Good Luck!

Keep the ride surface as it is designed. The lack of no trips is not because they were trying to save money or make it easy to build. It is JAE technology. As long as you use the right turn fin and build the boat as designed it will turn as good or better than any boat you have ever owned. I have built .12's .21's, .45's, and a gas JAE. The gas boat was the only one that had issues in the turn. It would trip in chopped up race water and flip over. I built sponsons with traditional "no trips" and the problem did not go away. In fact it may have been worse. The 12, 21, and 45 all turn on a dime are very fast. I just wish I could keep up with Butch's 45 jae.

The only change I would make to the 45 is to mount the engine at a slight angle to reduce the amount of s bend in the stuffing tube. To much s bend can cause a lot of friction and the stuffing tube will melt and start a fire in your radio box. Not fun

Guys a have JAE 45 short kit, first JAE I have built, the sponsons are totally symmetric, no dihedral, or anhedral, no ride pad and squared off sides. I suspect the kit was designed this way to keep cost low and make it easy to build but it seems to me adding some angles and ride pads would improve its turning performance. Anyone played with these aspects and can share insight.

Ken
Hello Ken, Glad to hear you built a JAE. Hope you have lots of fun with it. We are always looking for something to make the JAE design a little better. One way to test some of your ideas would to be to build a second set of sponsons to your specs. Then compare the two and let us know what you find out. I prefere the "H" sponsons just because they look a little more traditional but they have the same lines and dimensions, on the bottom, as the "G".

There are 2 things we have seen with the 12, 21, and 45 not cornering well, they are prop hieght and too shallow of a turnfin. If the prop is not lowered all the way against the ski (too high) it can hop in the corners, and if the turnfin is not deep enough or strong enough it will let go in the corner, the outside edge will catch and throw the boat about 4 feet in the air. We also found out that by modifying the sponson and not fixing the turn fin issue we lost speed in the corners.

Ken if you decide to build another set of sponsons and test let us know what you find out.

Thanks David

Just as David said build it as designed. As I have posted earlier turn fin/ prop/strut depth is key. I spent two year getting my JAE gas rigger to run right and have spoken with Martin many times during it. Not sure who's turn fin you are running or plan to but plan to back it up with a plate to give it more reinforcing to reduce the flex. Jerry

Just as David said build it as designed. As I have posted earlier turn fin/ prop/strut depth is key. I spent two year getting my JAE gas rigger to run right and have spoken with Martin many times during it. Not sure who's turn fin you are running or plan to but plan to back it up with a plate to give it more reinforcing to reduce the flex. Jerry
Jerry - so reinforcing the turn fin solved the issue with tripping in the turns with the gas jae? That makes sense. I tried many different fins and different sponson designs but could never get it to work right and eventually gave up and sold the boat.

Greg have to tell you dropping the rudder deeper helped the most. Very prop sensitive as well tried them all 2818 worked the best just S/B no mods required. Will hang the bouys all day long hit the start Nitro style full bore at the start and no one will come close to catching you.

Guys, it seems funny that no body has mentioned Martin "Ts" IMPBA oval records !! Martin and Stu Barr have exchanged the oval record twice in the last year. Martin has made some changes in the overall tub length and the rest of the boat is Zip kit stock. The idea that a boat like the JAE competes well with a design like the Crapshooter should'nt result in alot of " how do I change it thoughts". People like Rod, David, Martin and Stu Barr have done a bunch to provide us with designs that are awsome and don't forget Andy Brown and his SGX fleet.

Just to be clear I could not be happier with my 21 size JAE, Just saying I had some issues with the gas version,but in speaking with Martin got over the hump and the boat is now very drivable.

Latest posts

Back