JAE .45 G

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gil sonsino

I think a good way to encourage other fellows to build boats is to post pics of our projects.The JAE 45 G short kit from Zipp is an awesome fast boat that everyone can build .This one is equipped with a Picco EXR Black Head mod ,CMDI .45 Parabolic pipe from 8 3/4" to 9 ". 55% nitro. Props I use 1655 cup 4,3 1460 cup 4,5 1657 cup 3,9 for heat race.........enjoy!

Gill

www.grsboats.com.br

Yeah Rick, I have a short kit that I won from Zipp Kits, but I have three boats on the work bench now so this one has to wait a little while. After seeing Gill's boat it really makes me want it done sooner though.

Gil... thanks for the pics....have you tested the boat?... i've a question or two, nominally... can you measure the rudder leading edge to the drive dog face for me?... the depth of the rudder bottom from the transom bottom?.... i've only tested low cup number 1457's on mine, ( i do, have a blackhead to install, and the parabolic)..... thanks for the cup information, easily.... who/what is the glowplug apparatus on the blackhead, aaaand, who made the pipe stinger clamp for the pipe?..... 'nuff's enough, mine has had a few issues, and winter will debug it.... bank missle decals incuded.... thanks mike

I think a good way to encourage other fellows to build boats is to post pics of our projects.The JAE 45 G short kit from Zipp is an awesome fast boat that everyone can build .This one is equipped with a Picco EXR Black Head mod ,CMDI .45 Parabolic pipe from 8 3/4" to 9 ". 55% nitro. Props I use 1655 cup 4,3 1460 cup 4,5 1657 cup 3,9 for heat race.........enjoy!

Gill

www.grsboats.com.br
Thanks for posting.

On these boats, do you just mount the engine as far back as possible?

Thanks guys for the nice words.

'M.Larson the distance from the leading edge of the rudder to the drive dog is about 1" more exactly 23mm and the depght of the botton rudder to the botton ski 2 1/4". This motor I used to run for SAW time ago so the glow plug is watercooled i.e. the water exits from the top..A 1457 prop can work but needs much more cup than the stock form.The pipe support is made by myself very simple and made from stainless steel.

BLACKOUT yes put the engine almost touching the radio bulkhead.

This is a very fast predictable combo running in the mid 80's and the only little problem I had in the begining was to find the right AOA of Mike Hughes fin.......you will need to keep the bend lines perfectly parallel with the tub to avoid the "hidrofoil effect' caused to the right sponson if this angle is too much positive.As soon I have a video will post it.

Gill

Thanks guys for the nice words.

'M.Larson the distance from the leading edge of the rudder to the drive dog is about 1" more exactly 23mm and the depght of the botton rudder to the botton ski 2 1/4". This motor I used to run for SAW time ago so the glow plug is watercooled i.e. the water exits from the top..A 1457 prop can work but needs much more cup than the stock form.The pipe support is made by myself very simple and made from stainless steel.

BLACKOUT yes put the engine almost touching the radio bulkhead.

This is a very fast predictable combo running in the mid 80's and the only little problem I had in the begining was to find the right AOA of Mike Hughes fin.......you will need to keep the bend lines perfectly parallel with the tub to avoid the "hidrofoil effect' caused to the right sponson if this angle is too much positive.As soon I have a video will post it.

Gill
Thanks so much for the advise!

Hi Neil the stand was made to acommodate many types of hulls....I use it for all my riggers from .12 to 1.0. but it also works for cats and monos too.

Thanks

Gill

Mike,

If you have a Picco motor or the new Nova 46, I would suggest the 1657

with numbers between 3.91" and 4.50" with a shorter pipe length. If you

need more than that I would start playing with the center of blade pitch numbers.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Gill

www.grsboats.com.br
Thanks for posting.

On these boats, do you just mount the engine as far back as possible?
Take a close look at the photos......The front of the radio box is determined by the hatch openings in the deck supplied in the kit....

Mount the motor so you have just enough clearance to comfortably install the starting belt and have about 1/2" to 3/4" of the stuffing box extend into the motor well....

This will locate the motor in the tub........1/2" either way will make no difference in the boats performance.

Install the motor just like it is shown in Gils photo........"DO NOT MOVE THE MOTOR FORWARD"

Build the boat exactly as the kit comes from Zippkits and you will be a very happy camper.....

Last edited by a moderator:
"Mount the motor so you have just enough clearance to comfortably install the starting belt and have about 1/2" to 3/4" of the stuffing box extend into the motor well...."

Rod

I'm sure there's no more doubts about engine location!

Thanks a lot for the p.m

Cheers

Gill

I finnished a stand yesterday. the .45 will be longer. But the .21 size will work as well. Ive made some that have a drawer for prop storage.No nails

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Gil, I am still working on mine, but progress is slow:
JAE_45_tub2.jpg

For my rigger stand i also use a simple wooden stand (here is my JAE21 stand):

jae21-NR_on_stand1.jpg

jae21-NR_on_stand2.jpg

Great pictures Gil, I am still working on mine, but progress is slow

Take your time and at the end you will be rewarded.Nice .21 Jae and stand too.

Gill

Guys a have JAE 45 short kit, first JAE I have built, the sponsons are totally symmetric, no dihedral, or anhedral, no ride pad and squared off sides. I suspect the kit was designed this way to keep cost low and make it easy to build but it seems to me adding some angles and ride pads would improve its turning performance. Anyone played with these aspects and can share insight.

Ken

Latest posts

Back